Tamiya 1/48th Lockheed F-35 A Lightning II-Item#: 61124

On 10/19/2022 at 3:05 AM, Dave Williams said:

Likely because there would be compromises in detail on the sides of the nose if it were made as part of the upper and lower fuselages.

Now my wish has finally come to fruition, the latest dry-fit video from Tamiya says that the upper fuselage half is made in a single-piece plastic, at least the upper fuselage, better to have one than none.

Edited by flybywire
  • 2 weeks later...

Test shots appeared at Tokyo Volks store this week.

Through glass the RAM is extremely fine looking almost flat with what appeared a textural difference rather than an elevation difference.

Very subtle.

Pilot figure and cockpit look very good detail looks better than F-4/F-14, weapons bay is simply stunning.

It looks nothing like the Meng or Italeri kits being far more restrained on the upper fuselage RAM detailing.

I have seen this kit available on Ebay (from Japan). All the U.S. side vendors are still in the pre-order mode though. Do we know when this will be available at Squadron or Sprue Brothers? I have seen November and Holiday season being thrown around but was wondering if there is more up to date info on this. 

14 minutes ago, Janissary said:

I have seen this kit available on Ebay (from Japan). All the U.S. side vendors are still in the pre-order mode though. Do we know when this will be available at Squadron or Sprue Brothers? I have seen November and Holiday season being thrown around but was wondering if there is more up to date info on this. 

I’m betting that none of those Japanese eBay sellers actual have the kit in stock.  They are all most likely preorders.  Note the delivery dates are late November to mid or late December, which seems ridiculous given the very high shipping prices some are showing.  For $49, I expect airmail and a delivery date of about a week.  HLJ says December release.

4 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

I’m betting that none of those Japanese eBay sellers actual have the kit in stock.  They are all most likely preorders.  Note the delivery dates are late November to mid or late December, which seems ridiculous given the very high shipping prices some are showing.  For $49, I expect airmail and a delivery date of about a week.  HLJ says December release.

Yes I also noticed the Japan delivery dates all the way in January. I contacted Sprue Brothers today. They said they still have not received it and did not give an ETA.

8 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Hmmmn----this video made it look to me like the RAM tape is as "thick and 3D" as many others, and IMHO is a deal-killer:

Really high quality video recording there. Very sharp and the soft lighting reveals all the impressive details. Also, the kit literally 'clicks' into place. I had started the Meng F-35A kit about 2 months ago. After Tamiya's announcement and the promo pics and videos, it's become impossible to continue with the Meng kit. I gave that one up.

The kit details look unusually sharp. If you look at the pilot figure, it looks a lot more well sculpted than any of the other Tamiya kits. Very close to resin figures.

This kit will be a joy to build. 

• 2 weeks later...

Received a copy of the kit in today's mail and can state that none of the photos posted online truly convey just how nice this kit is. For those saying they won't get it because the RAM tape is 'too thick', I'd be willing to bet you'll change your mind once you actually see the kit in person. 

While the F-35A is not operated by the Marine Corps, I was fortunate to get an up close and personal tour of the F-35B while at MCAS Beaufort a couple weeks ago and my interest in the airframe in general has increased 10-fold. The kit I received was gifted to me, but I'll definitely be purchasing at least two more when they hit the US. 

7 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Received a copy of the kit in today's mail... 

Any indications of other variants in the sprues? 
While the three variants are fairly different, maybe something common was included?

1 hour ago, ST0RM said:

Any indications of other variants in the sprues? 
While the three variants are fairly different, maybe something common was included?

Honestly, the only things useful on other variants are the weapons pylons, ejection seat and a few other odds and ends. Unlike the F-4B kit, there aren't any other indicators of another version coming. However, that doesn't mean the other versions aren't coming. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Honestly, the only things useful on other variants are the weapons pylons, ejection seat and a few other odds and ends. Unlike the F-4B kit, there aren't any other indicators of another version coming. However, that doesn't mean the other versions aren't coming. 

We can only hope!

Found this: https://www.activepowersports.com/tamiya-1-48-lockheed-martin-f-35a-lightning-ii-61124/?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cse&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5sm-0YfU-wIV1hvUAR0RgwqaEAQYASABEgI-8_D_BwE

Doesn't say pre-order, and seems to be from CA. Didn't bother asking them via email but does this mean it's arrived in the U.S.? :yahoo:

18 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

Received a copy of the kit in today's mail and can state that none of the photos posted online truly convey just how nice this kit is. For those saying they won't get it because the RAM tape is 'too thick', I'd be willing to bet you'll change your mind once you actually see the kit in person. 

While the F-35A is not operated by the Marine Corps, I was fortunate to get an up close and personal tour of the F-35B while at MCAS Beaufort a couple weeks ago and my interest in the airframe in general has increased 10-fold. The kit I received was gifted to me, but I'll definitely be purchasing at least two more when they hit the US. 

I remember you did a review of Italeri Lightning. Its looks nice in the video. How does Tamiya kit compare to Italeri?

2 hours ago, stalal said:

I remember you did a review of Italeri Lightning. Its looks nice in the video. How does Tamiya kit compare to Italeri?

The details are crisper and finer on the Tamiya kit and the RAM tape is a bit more subtle. I'm going to look at both more closely this week as time permits.