FineMolds 1/72 F-15 at the Tokyo Hobby Show

19 hours ago, GeneK said:

Basically - how does the J model differ from the A and C models ...that is, what needs to be done to model other single seat variants?

Inside the cockpit, the J has one extra panel on the right hand arm rest for the J/ASW-10 datalink. I think the position of this changed slightly after the MSIP upgrade. Otherwise it should be pretty much identical to the C.

For those who could not see it or want to have a closer look here are some stills from this FineMolds video with the man behind the company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8K6ZcNpbmk&t=401s

KDU2nyg.jpg 

The images answer many questions and show some nice details. What can be seen is that there will be a “traditional” engine exhaust with Turkey feathers.

RElfB5x.jpg

But also one without them. It will be made up of many parts to provide all those fine details.

xXnlOuS.jpg

WGqO16y.jpg

Pc4mre8.jpg

tMG5Ldh.jpg

The external fuel tanks represent welded panel lines.

NghTBEJ.jpg

The engine intakes can be positioned both up and down and have internal perforation details.

jb49Zyg.jpg

I believe there will be two versions of the airbrakes including the one with all those fine internal details.

vtDfoWS.jpg

Wt4weN3.jpg

Of course two nose cones. It could be still a short shoot since the tip of it is fairly blunt. First the standard one

zJjvGoS.jpg

And the modified J-MSIP cone

3CRKVpH.jpg

A nice view of the big top fuselage part.

A4LZzpm.jpg

IcYpHBH.jpg

Adding to one of the previous posts here are the outer slide mould parts for the canopy preparing the anode.

KH07S75.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

20 hours ago, Bsin said:

FINEMOLDS, how about scaleing that up to 1/48th!

I dont think so!

But here are some more views of the kit. 

If I understand right from the video in the area below the airbrake the rivets are positive.

2IDjUPM.jpg

The area after the canopy and believe what is above it are the two internal walls of the after cockpit bay with ribs and black boxes. But this is only a guess from me. 

Mn9qVEh.jpg

It is possible to position the aileron

wwvVw35.jpg

D7m3z88.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

7 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

If I understand right from the video in the area below the airbrake the rivets are positive.

2IDjUPM.jpg

The area after the canopy and believe what is above it are the two internal walls of the after cockpit bay with ribs and black boxes. But this is only a guess from me. 

Mn9qVEh.jpg

When I watched the video, I thought the centre section between the front of the airbrake and back of the canopy was moulded with the rest of the wing, making it only a J version. But with your edited picture, I see that this short section is a separate piece, so a DJ is possible. There are many aggressor schemes to build. More good news.

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I dont think so!

2IDjUPM.jpg

Mn9qVEh.jpg

wwvVw35.jpg

D7m3z88.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

😑

45 minutes ago, Bsin said:

😑

Well they are first of all a "72nd scale company" if possible to say something like this. Yes, it would be something special if they did it in 48th but I believe the idiology of the company is very different. This is supported by things they did in the past. But of course you never know so never say never. 

Remember few years ago they were looking for new workforce to be able to do what they are up too. What is visible FineMolds is, lets say a small family business and a 48th scale kit of the F-15 size would be in my opinion too much for them.

While we are still waiting for more Phantoms and other already started projects. So there is plenty to do in this company. The F-15 development in the past months shows exactly the limitations of a business of this size.  

Also lets not forget that they have some connection with Tamiya, I dont think they would want to "interfer" in the business of the big bro.  

But this is only thinking out loud on my side. Anyone views on this???

Best regards

Gabor

4 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

When I watched the video, I thought the centre section between the front of the airbrake and back of the canopy was moulded with the rest of the wing, making it only a J version. But with your edited picture, I see that this short section is a separate piece, so a DJ is possible. There are many aggressor schemes to build. More good news.

It was visible also in earlier view of the top fuselage part that it has so many insert spaces left to add all sorts of sub-version options. 

DCrBlYm.jpg

Actually I love the intake solution of moulding it at 45 degree angle so adding fine details both on top and the side as well as on the interior. Just reminds makers that there is not only classical Top and Bottom brakedown of parts. Same applies for the engine exhaust without the turkey feathers. In the video it is visible that they all fall in place with out any problem and still the details are there. OK, I know those "arms" are far more complex in real life but remember this is just 72nd scale and traditional injection moulding technology. I am sure aftermarkets will do their thing here. (The FineMolds Phantom exhausts look nice but I replaced them with some resin ones which are WAY more detailed!!!)

Best regards

Gabor 

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I dont think so!

2IDjUPM.jpg

Mn9qVEh.jpg

wwvVw35.jpg

D7m3z88.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Those delicate trailing edges make the GWH ones look extremely chunky.

Thanks to Craig and Gabor for their contributions and updates in this thread; it looks as though another very impressive Fine Molds kit is close to release.

After watching the video, I'm also very curious about reference made (around the 3:06 minute mark) to the F-104... Ummmm, it might just be my wishful thinking, but is it too much to hope that a Starfighter is next cab off the rank? Can anyone translate what's actually said (the auto-translate fails to render the conversation at that point very well) ?

On 4/26/2023 at 10:33 PM, MoFo said:

The only reason for that unusual rear fuselage breakdown is to allow them to do an accurate Strike Eagle rear fuselage.  Interesting.

I think you're Tongue-In-Cheeking? So what's required to get a Strike Eagle out of the forthcoming/assumed FM F-15DJ?

Gene K

No, not at all.  Apart from the obvious pylon/cockpit differences, there are a few panel line subtleties around the engine humps between the fighter and strike Eagles. There is zero reason to split it that way for the A/B/C/D - they're all the same.  The only reason for that specific breakdown is that they're at least considering a Strike Eagle.

On the picture of the FineMolds fuselage/wing there is a cut out to fit a panel to the right of the speedbrake. In this F-15E photo, you can see the same area where there is an object that is not flush. Something specific to the Strike Eagle?

180510-F-QP712-9162.JPG

180510-F-QP712-9162 close up.jpg

Edited by Craig Baldwin
22 hours ago, Craig Baldwin said:

On the picture of the FineMolds fuselage/wing there is a cut out to fit a panel to the right of the speedbrake. In this F-15E photo, you can see the same area where there is an object that is not flush. Something specific to the Strike Eagle?

180510-F-QP712-9162 close up.jpg

It's the EGI antenna, it's also on the F-15C/D.

Regards,

Murph