What is going on here?

Hi all,

I applied the clear coat using Intermediate Gauzzy Agent and this is what happened. The bottle is about 4 months old and was used before. The decal is from Tamiya's new release Spitfire. This problem was never encountered before. I addressed the problem by sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper to remove the alligator skin then applied mutlple thin coats with sanding in between until the defect is gone. What is going on here ? Dai 

309953822_5491844704239108_5187141006780333693_n.jpg

310131676_5491844434239135_2768430378247860270_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello

Since the problem seems to be only over the decal, my guess is that the decal wasn't completely dry and/or settled; how much time did you let it dry before coating?; did you use some setting solution?

8 hours ago, cruiz said:

Hello

Since the problem seems to be only over the decal, my guess is that the decal wasn't completely dry and/or settled; how much time did you let it dry before coating?; did you use some setting solution?

The decals were completely dried over night. All the solution was removed before clear coat application. Dai 

dai,

This is EXACTLY the problem I had using Intermediate Gauzy over AK Xtreme Metal color paint.  My previous experience with Gauzy Agent over any type of paint had been extremely positive, without any issues at all.  However, this last application, over the Xtreme Metal, ended up looking just like what your model did/does.  I tried to 'fix' it by doing some very fine sanding/polishing, and while that seemed to slightly improve the situation, the improvement was not good enough to make the model salvageable (a 1/48 Eduard P-51D).  I was, and still am, seriously unhappy, since up until the application of the Gauzy Agent, the build had gone very, very well, and now, that plane has been put aside, probably never to be completed.  I cannot explain why this happened.  This was the same bottle of Gauzy Agent that I've used previously with excellent results.  I can only attribute this to the bottle being older, maybe 6 months since the last good application.  

The problem you encountered does not appear to be limited to the area over the decals, at least in my opinion.  I have another bottle of Gauzy Agent that is still 'new', unopened, but was purchased at the same time as the bottle that resulted in my problem.  I'm inclined to leave the Xtreme Metal colors uncoated, as they are still my number 1 paint for bare metals.  I may try a few other things, though, before I make my final decision, but it will be on a paint mule, and not on a model I am planning to complete.  If I do testing, it will be with the Gauzy that caused my problem, the 'new' bottle of Gauzy, Tamiya X-22, several of the Mr. Color clear gloss coatings, and MAYBE my old bottle of Future, which has turned slightly yellow over the last 10+ years I've used it.  I wish I had an answer for you as to what went wrong and why, but I don't.  But, for whatever it's worth, you're not alone with this problem.  This stinks, because up until this problem occurred, Gauzy Agent was my go-to water-based clear coat.

Edited by Curt B
On 10/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Curt B said:

dai,

This is EXACTLY the problem I had using Intermediate Gauzy over AK Xtreme Metal color paint.  My previous experience with Gauzy Agent over any type of paint had been extremely positive, without any issues at all.  However, this last application, over the Xtreme Metal, ended up looking just like what your model did/does.  I tried to 'fix' it by doing some very fine sanding/polishing, and while that seemed to slightly improve the situation, the improvement was not good enough to make the model salvageable (a 1/48 Eduard P-51D).  I was, and still am, seriously unhappy, since up until the application of the Gauzy Agent, the build had gone very, very well, and now, that plane has ben put aside, probably never to be completed.  I cannot explain why this happened.  This was the same bottle of Gauzy Agent that I've used previously with excellent results.  I can only attribute this to the bottle being older, maybe 6 months since the last good application.  

The problem you encountered does not appear to be limited to the area over the decals, at least in my opinion.  I have another bottle of Gauzy Agent that is still 'new', unopened, but was purchased at the same time as the bottle that resulted in my problem.  I'm inclined to leave the Xtreme Metal colors uncoated, as they are still my number 1 paint for overcoating anything.  I may try a few other things, though, before I make my final decision, but it will be on a paint mule, and not on a model I am planning to complete.  If I do testing, it will be with the Gauzy that caused my problem, the 'new' bottle of Gauzy, Tamiya X-22, several of the Mr. Color clear gloss coatings, and MAYBE my old bottle of Future, whichh has turned slightly yellow over the last 10+ years I've used it.  I wish I had an answer for you as to what went wrong and why, but I don't.  But, for whatever it's worth, you're not alone with this problem.  This stinks, because up until this problem occurred, Gauzy Agent was my go-to water-based clear coat.

This one caught me by surprised and I was so lucky to be able to salvage the decals and completed the project. Or else I have to strip and repaint. I use IGA as it does not affect the metallic shine but from now I will order a new bottle. Dai 

On 10/11/2022 at 8:56 AM, dai phan said:

This one caught me by surprised and I was so lucky to be able to salvage the decals and completed the project. Or else I have to strip and repaint. I use IGA as it does not affect the metallic shine but from now I will order a new bottle. Dai 

That's the only thing I can attribute this problem to...age of the IGA, either pure age, or age after opening the bottle and exposing it to air.  dai, if you try this again with a new bottle of IRA, could you post and let us know your results, please?  Thanks.

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

That's the only thing I can attribute this problem to...age of the IGA, either pure age, or age after opening the bottle and exposing it to air.  dai, if you try this again with a new bottle of IRA, could you post and let us know your results, please?  Thanks.

I notice after the bottle is opened, it changes the color to more yellow/brown and gums up in the airbrush way more often. Dai 

2 hours ago, dai phan said:

I notice after the bottle is opened, it changes the color to more yellow/brown and gums up in the airbrush way more often. Dai 

I honestly haven't noticed that.  I'll check the color soonest, and will certainly try spraying both 'old' and 'new' bottles to evaluate their performance and will report back here.

• 3 weeks later...