The first "F-4E" was actually a RF-4C: 62-12200. It was used as a test bed for various stuff, last job was testing fly-by-wire flight controls and canard configuration The 2nd F-4E was a converted F-4C: 63-7445. The 3rd was actually built as one on the production line: 65-0713. First 2 were wearing SEA colors, first real F-4E I only have seen pictures in white/international orange livery.

Edit: and when searching for images I found one of 65-0713 in SEA too.

Edited by Nebbor

A friend of mine flew an early E (probably 65-0713) when he was a test pilot at Edwards AFB in the early 90's.  I remember him telling me it had an E front cockpit and a D rear cockpit.  Just in case you are wanting extreme accuracy.

On 10/9/2022 at 6:40 PM, Ben Brown said:

62-12200 started life as an F4H-1 and was converted on the assembly line to the prototype RF-110A. It would have had the F4H-1’s thin wing instead of the C’s thicker wing.

Ben

A very historic airframe.

It's I was always thinking about its history when I examined it at the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson.

It certainly had a lot of designations..F4H, RF-110, RF-4, F-4E...

The only other airframe that comes close was the P-80 which was modified to be a prototype T-33 (or TP-80) which was modified to

the prototype F-94.

Edited by JohnEB

Aircraft #266 started as a F-4B, subsequently F-110A, RF-4C prototype (YRF-110) , YF-4E , F-4 CCV and PACT programs and many mini programs in between like the berrylium rudder and Agile Eagle slat programs. This airframe is called "mother/father (take your desired gender pick) of all phantoms" for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Aircraft #266 started as a F-4B, subsequently F-110A, RF-4C prototype (YRF-110) , YF-4E , F-4 CCV and PACT programs and many mini programs in between like the berrylium rudder and Agile Eagle slat programs. This airframe is called "mother/father (take your desired gender pick) of all phantoms" for a reason.

What's the actual tail number for 266?

I saw '12200' at the AF Museum in '92. Went back in '11 and it was gone. No one there seemed to know what I was talking about. It was the grandfather of ALL AF Phantoms. I was disappointed, but I managed to survive the trauma! 😉

DET1460

I took some photos of it years ago when it was outside at the museum.  At the time, I didn't know the story behind it but it was unique with the canards.  I just visited the museum just yesterday and, although I wasn't looking for it, I didn't see it.