"Crossbow Three" (F-105D 61-0132, "Hanoi Special," flown by 1LT David Waldrop)

Hello all! Here are a couple new pieces that I finished within the past few weeks:

F-105D-Thunderchief-Lt.-David-Waldrop-61

This is a 36x12 inch profile of F-105D 61-0132 "Hanoi Special," flown by 1LT David Waldrop.  On 23-Aug-67, he was assigned as the third ship in Crossbow flight, one of four alpha-force strike teams sortied to bomb the Yen Vien rail classification yards in north Vietnam. After successfully bombing the target he and others tangled with MiG-17s and 21s. Coming out of a cloud bank inverted, 1LT Waldrop saw MiG-17s going after one of the other Thuds.  Although he had Sidewinders, he was unable to use them fearing they would home on the evading '105. Switching to his cannon, he sawed-away at one of the MiG-17s, and caused it to crash.  He then pressed his attack on a second MiG-17, which he also destroyed.  He made both MiG kills (and his bombing run) with an inoperative gun sight!  Later, Seventh AF would deny him one of the MiG kills. However, he was awarded a cluster for his Silver Star.  Of course, this was the mission after which 1LT Waldrop got a phone call from Col. Robin Olds ("...Waldrop, are you the SOB who stole my MiG!?")

f-105d-thunderchief-61-0132-crossbow-thr

Here's my attempt to capture the first MiG kill by 1LT Waldrop on 23-Aug-67.  I called it simply "Crossbow Three." 

Both of these are available through my Fine Art America page (https://fineartamerica.com/profiles/11-john-matthews/shop)

Edited by John Matthews Art
Narrative change

Very nice. I really like the surfaces on the profile looks like the paint has been touched by the elements with patches of oily and matte and gloss and retouches all working together.

What are the dimensions of the Crossbow Three piece?

Very nice.

Edited by Ol' Scrapiron
On 10/10/2022 at 1:28 AM, Ol' Scrapiron said:

Very nice. I rally like the surfaces on the profile like the paint has been touched by the elements with patches of oily and matte and gloss and retouches all working together.

What are the dimensions of the Crossbow Three piece?

Very nice.

Thank you very much!  I always try to "weather" the planes in my artwork without going overboard with it. 

I created the profile as a 36x12 inch piece. "Crossbow Three" is 24x18 inches. They're also available in smaller sizes through my Fine Art America page.

John,

You do great work, I like the "realism" you put into your art, takes me back a few years (more like decades). I'll have to leave some hints for Santa on these.

Do you do commission work?

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

6 hours ago, Cajun21 said:

John,

You do great work, I like the "realism" you put into your art, takes me back a few years (more like decades). I'll have to leave some hints for Santa on these.

Do you do commission work?

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

Thank you very much!  And I always enjoy doing commission work🙂

Here's a piece that I did for the East Mississippi Veterans Foundation. It's a limited edition print that they commissioned to help them raise money to restore and display an RF-4C Phantom at their veterans memorial park in Meridian, Mississippi. 

mcdonnell-douglas-rf4c-67-0438-Phantoms-

These are available through my store on my Facebook page, by the way 🙂

Safe skies!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 8:31 PM, John Matthews Art said:

Thank you very much!  And I always enjoy doing commission work🙂

Here's a piece that I did for the East Mississippi Veterans Foundation. It's a limited edition print that they commissioned to help them raise money to restore and display an RF-4C Phantom at their veterans memorial park in Meridian, Mississippi. 

mcdonnell-douglas-rf4c-67-0438-Phantoms-

These are available through my store on my Facebook page, by the way 🙂

Safe skies!

John,

PM inbound

Itch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...