Question for the Tomcat gurus regarding external tanks

Simple enough question; did early-ish Tomcats in the gray/white scheme (specifically, VF-142 and VF-1 c. 1976-77) have the ability to carry tanks under the intakes, and if so, did they?  Photos of those squadrons from that period are kinda hard to find (part of the problem is that a LOT of CGI/flight sim images pop up in a search as well); those that I can find don't show tanks, and the images are inconclusive as to whether or not there were fittings under the intakes to install the pylons for them.

1 hour ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Simple enough question; did early-ish Tomcats in the gray/white scheme (specifically, VF-142 and VF-1 c. 1976-77) have the ability to carry tanks under the intakes, and if so, did they?  Photos of those squadrons from that period are kinda hard to find (part of the problem is that a LOT of CGI/flight sim images pop up in a search as well); those that I can find don't show tanks, and the images are inconclusive as to whether or not there were fittings under the intakes to install the pylons for them.

Yes they had the ability, did they, (from what I've seen) rarely.

For VF-1's 76/77 cruise, no tanks.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cvn65-76/176.htm

For VF-142's 77/78 cruise, no tanks.

https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv66-77/242.htm

Tanks really didn't become a thing until the late 70's when we started more "blue water" ops.

Edited by GW8345
One of these days I will learn to spell...but it won't be today.