Sword Twogar - tough old bird!

That old saying about not judging a book by its cover seems to be true! When I got the Sword 1/72 TF-9J Cougar with the Vietnam-era decals and weapons, I was pretty excited. The kit looked decent, and despite being a bit expensive, I figured it would be a fairly easy project.

Yeah, well… turns out, it’s not quite as nice as it looked. I’ve been battling this thing for a bit, and while I’ve now got it together, I have to say it’s a lot more short-run than I’d have thought. However, I’ve wanted a Twogar forever, so I’m still glad I’ve got it. I think.

Check out how it’s going at the update below, and when they say “buyer beware”, remember that they may have had this thing in mind!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/2022/10/13/sword-1-72-tf-9j-twogar-update/

twogar-021.jpg?w=450

Just finished up the single seater 1/32 Fisher Cougar.   Like your kit, required a lot of small details that chewed up time.  The splitters on the wings were cast very thin and they were cracked and damaged from years of handling and no idea how many times this kit was shipped from one buyer to another.  But I wound up cutting them off, scribing channels into the wing and shaping brass to replace them. 
Out of shape landing gear openings and doors and a couple of missing parts I had to replicate. 

Shortly after I finished that build I came across a Fisher twogar.  Nope, not ready to go there. 

Stick with it!  It will be a beautiful model when you’re done. 

Perhaps I'm used to building limited-run kits like Sword, Special Hobby, Valom, and Roden, but I didn't have much trouble with the Twogar kits that I built. I think the nose wheel is too small, and I replaced it on one of the two models. I made the trainer using Caracal decals, and I made the Marine FastFAC out of the box:

SwoTF-9J.JPG

SwoTF-9JVN.JPG

Both of those look great! 

I'm just finding the fit is much less good than the look of the kit would imply - almost Pegasus- or Pioneer-like in spots. That, and the soft, often-rescribed detail is a bit of a pain. 

I wish everything could be as nice as a 1/72 Academy Stuka.... sigh...

I've built plenty of POS kits, and this is no worse in most ways, but it was a lot more expensive for what I'm getting than I'm used to. 

Yeah, it is. 

It's by no means the worst kit I've built, but it's surprisingly work-intensive for such a small plane. Like you've seen, the fit of a lot of the components is more than "a little off", and with all the detail being so soft, the sand-rescribe-resand cycles are very tedious and numerous as I've worked to bring all the bits together. 

It's like an old Frog, in a lot of ways.