Monogram F-15A 1/48

Hello friends,

I want to make super old model kit. Its F-15A from Monogram in 1/48 scale, the kit dates back from '79. I am tired of these new molds etc... I have this kit for about 40 years and its time to get it build eheheeh.

Ok, I was in need for experience for this proejct, because I want te rescribe all panel lines and to make all rivets,and that is the main reason why I have started this topic.

I was trying to look around web to find some good technical drawings of single seater F-15, to see where rivet lines are going and all panel lines, and all I could find was correct panel lines...but I need rivets also. Yes, I am rivet counter eheheheh...😀

Ok, also I have few books where are excellent references, but not a single of them have technical draw where I can see its rivet lines.

So, please, does anyone have these kind of technical drawings where the rivets are shown? I would be most greatfull, and it would mean a lot to me to upgrade this kit as much is posible and to have the biggest blast from past.\

Thanks in advance, and happy modeling!

Edited by Mustang381
4 hours ago, Mustang381 said:

Hello friends,

I want to make super old model kit. Its F-15A from Monogram in 1/48 scale, the kit dates back from '79. I am tired of these new molds etc... I have this kit for about 40 years and its time to get it build eheheeh.

Ok, I was in need for experience for this proejct, because I want te rescribe all panel lines and to make all rivets,and that is the main reason why I have started this topic.

I was trying to look around web to find some good technical drawings of single seater F-15, to see where rivet lines are going and all panel lines, and all I could find was correct panel lines...but I need rivets also. Yes, I am rivet counter eheheheh...😀

Ok, also I have few books where are excellent references, but not a single of them have technical draw where I can see its rivet lines.

So, please, does anyone have these kind of technical drawings where the rivets are shown? I would be most greatfull, and it would mean a lot to me to upgrade this kit as much is posible and to have the biggest blast from past.\

Thanks in advance, and happy modeling!

I'm not sure if it's for an A or C, but I found these stencil decals on the 48ers page that has stencil locations that show the panel lines..no rivets though..

Screenshot_20221016-120119_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221016-120150_Chrome.jpg

Edited by fasteagle12
37 minutes ago, fasteagle12 said:

I'm not sure if it's for an A or C, but I found these stencil decals on the 48ers page that has stencil locations that show the panel lines..no rivets though..

Screenshot_20221016-120119_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221016-120150_Chrome.jpg

Thank you dear friend. I have find same drawings too, but as you told, there is no rivets, but thanks anyway.

I've been up close to the F-15 on several occasions and I never have seen any visual rivets (but I really wasn't looking for them).  They are there, but are nearly flush and painted over.  I'm not sure that you would see them in any scale. 
The only thing I have seen is flush screw heads that have had some chipping around the paint from assembly/disassembly.  The photo that I attached is from a walkaround from Prime Portal.  If you blow it up, you can see painted over flush rivets, but they aren't really visible unless you do.

f-15a_17_of_17.jpg

Edited by fasteagle12

Thank you, and I want to make these rivets super small, and also that is the one of the reason why I have chosen Monogram kit, it is "unfnished book",with clear pages...which can turn out great.That is the reason why I need that kind of technical drawing of this aircraft.

6 hours ago, bashace said:

This site has some decent panel line details:

Чертежи (airwar.ru)

Due to the flush riveting on most of the airframe, the only prominent "rivet" type detail one might see at 1/48 scale would be the Dzus Fasteners on the removable panels. 

Thank you very much.

So after all then the GWH kit is overdone, am I right? With all these rivets that are on that kit?

43 minutes ago, Mustang381 said:

Thank you very much.

So after all then the GWH kit is overdone, am I right? With all these rivets that are on that kit?

Yes, probably overdone, but the rivet detail on my copy looks to be very delicate and petite, so hopefully it won't show too much under some paint and clear coats.

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

Yes, probably overdone, but the rivet detail on my copy looks to be very delicate and petite, so hopefully it won't show too much under some paint and clear coats.

Comparing the canopy detail in the GWH kit to the Modern Eagle Guide, the detail should be flush fitting Philips head screws, which they look like they are. The rivet detail on top of wings is way overdone, they are pretty much invisible on the full scale aircraft, with one exception, the F-15E due to it's dark color, can show some flush rivet detail if work was done after it was painted, the rivet heads are unpainted, but still flush with skin surface.

I pretty much have most F-15's in 1/48 and 1/32 scales, I will pull out my Monogram F-15 and have a good look at it against my references, I know it has been mentioned numerous times that the Monogram kit has the most accurate shape of all the kits, that's why it's in my stash.

23 hours ago, bashace said:

I pretty much have most F-15's in 1/48 and 1/32 scales, I will pull out my Monogram F-15 and have a good look at it against my references, I know it has been mentioned numerous times that the Monogram kit has the most accurate shape of all the kits, that's why it's in my stash.

And that is the reason my friend, why I am making this kit 🙂

On 10/19/2022 at 5:08 PM, bashace said:

Comparing the canopy detail in the GWH kit to the Modern Eagle Guide, the detail should be flush fitting Philips head screws, which they look like they are. The rivet detail on top of wings is way overdone, they are pretty much invisible on the full scale aircraft, with one exception, the F-15E due to it's dark color, can show some flush rivet detail if work was done after it was painted, the rivet heads are unpainted, but still flush with skin surface.

They are coin slot fasteners and some of them are apex bit fasteners.

16 hours ago, kellyF15 said:

They are coin slot fasteners and some of them are apex bit fasteners.

Never worked on airframes, only A-10 engines, but to me the apex fastener looks like a Philips, I'm sure there must be some aviation use difference between them.

9 minutes ago, bashace said:

Never worked on airframes, only A-10 engines, but to me the apex fastener looks like a Philips, I'm sure there must be some aviation use difference between them.

I meant hex head barrel captive fastener. And coin slot for the non-captive fasteners.  We didn't have the swastika type like the 16. and no phillips.