LF Sikorsky RH-53D 1:350 - Looking for suggestions

For my 1:350 Nimitz 1980 project I'm looking for 8x RH-53D's in 1:350 scale.

As far as I can tell no RH-53D's have ever been produced as models in this scale, so I'm looking for alternatives to create these.

As far as I can tell I have the following options:

1: Buying 8 CH-53E's and converting all of these one by one into RH-53D's. This might prove time consuming and very likely they won't be exactly the same.

2: Buying 8 CH-53E, converting one hull  into a RH-53D master, have it scanned and have 8 examples 3D printed.

I would prefer option 2 to keep them exactly the same, but I have no clue where to get them scanned and printed.

Online I found somebody who has done this in the past and I tried contacting him, but all my messages remain unanswered.

Does anybody have any other ideas and/or suggestions?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

SCM only lists CH-53E available in 1:350 scale.  Have you tried 3-D print shop Shapeways .com?  Try BaconFist Models.  He takes requests and specializes in naval & aircraft accessories for carrier models.  Also, try SNAFU Store.  He already has a 1/350 CH-53E & CH-53K.  He may be able to make a RH-53D fairly quickly.

HTH,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
change link
12 hours ago, Dutch said:

SCM only lists CH-53E available in 1:350 scale.  Have you tried 3-D print shop Shapeways .com?  Try BaconFist Models.  He takes requests and specializes in naval & aircraft accessories for carrier models.  Also, try SNAFU Store.  He already has a 1/350 CH-53E & CH-53K.  He may be able to make a RH-53D fairly quickly.

HTH,

Dutch

Thanks Dutch, I will contact them to see if they can help me out.

Edited by Susaschka
13 hours ago, YF65_CH53E said:

Out of curiosity, are you doing a "Desert-1" depiction?  the attempted Hostage rescue?

r/Gunny

Hi Gunny, You are absolutely right, I indeed am.

Because I want the RF-8 Crusaders to be on board together with the RH-53D's it will be prior to 17-4-1980, as apparently 17-4-1980 was the date the Crusaders were cross-decked to the Coral Sea.

Only thing that I need to find out is on which date the RH-53D's were painted in the sand camouflage.

If it tuns out that this was done after 17-4-1980, I will also need to create the regular HM-16 decals and possibly lose the "mission stripes" on the wings. Choices choices, choices... 🙂

Link to my project: https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=35910&p=projects&project=125931&m=editi

Edited by Susaschka
grammar
On 10/22/2022 at 7:12 PM, Susaschka said:

They have been created and I've ordered them: https://www.shapeways.com/product/YSW9JCESD/1-350-rh-53d

I'm very happy!

image.png.4d7f814726125844462d35f2c9d14d6d.png

Yeah, I was also very happy! Now I just have to wait until they are delivered.

I will post some pictures as soon as they are here and I have some time to make pictures. 

Edited by Susaschka
grammar

Susaschka,

My CH-53 crew chief instructor was on that mission and he survived.  I have talked with him many times about it.  A couple of things, first, the RH-53D's used for the actual mission had the Engine Air Particle Separators (EAPS) barrels removed prior to the mission execution.  the degraded engine performance that these EAPS caused was deemed unacceptable and they were left on the ship.  So your models of the RH-53D's will need the EAPS barrels removed if you want to depict the aircraft on the deck of the carrier.  The aircraft were painted in the hangar bay of the aircraft carrier in the desert sand colors.  When they came aboard they were in squadron colors as to not tip off anyone as to their real purpose.  I will ask Brian what date if he remembers the aircraft were painted.

Sounds like a great project.  Please keep us in the loop.

eagle_claw_1.jpg

Edited by YF65_CH53E
edit pic

A few interesting little details are visible in this footage - like the small black numbers on the external fuel tanks, and the mix of flat and domed covers on the AAR bases.

Note that the -53 going up on the lift (1:02-1:12) shows a Marine CH, not Navy RH - as evidenced by the EAPS and '22' nose code...

Edited by andyf117
On 11/1/2022 at 7:17 PM, YF65_CH53E said:

Susaschka,

My CH-53 crew chief instructor was on that mission and he survived.  I have talked with him many times about it.  A couple of things, first, the RH-53D's used for the actual mission had the Engine Air Particle Separators (EAPS) barrels removed prior to the mission execution.  the degraded engine performance that these EAPS caused was deemed unacceptable and they were left on the ship.  So your models of the RH-53D's will need the EAPS barrels removed if you want to depict the aircraft on the deck of the carrier.  The aircraft were painted in the hangar bay of the aircraft carrier in the desert sand colors.  When they came aboard they were in squadron colors as to not tip off anyone as to their real purpose.  I will ask Brian what date if he remembers the aircraft were painted.

Sounds like a great project.  Please keep us in the loop.

Thanks for the info!

Since I want the Crusaders present on board, I will build a Nimitz version not later then 17-4-1980.

For this reason the EAPS barrels are present on my RH-53's and they will most likely have their original navy blue colors with full markings.

It would be great if your instructor can remember when the RH-53D's were painted, so I will be sure if I choose the right color scheme.

Could you also ask him if he can remember around which date the mission stripes were painted on the F-14's, A-6's and A-7's?

This would be very helpful indeed.

Edited by Susaschka
typo
3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

A few interesting little details are visible in this footage - like the small black numbers on the external fuel tanks, and the mix of flat and domed covers on the AAR bases.

Note that the -53 going up on the lift (1:02-1:12) shows a Marine CH, not Navy RH - as evidenced by the EAPS and '22' nose code...

Nice video!