F-14 glare shields: khaki or khaki?

The left one takes much more abuse than the right one due to the cockpit entry from the left side.
It's thus more often replaced with a different material that's fading differently from the original one that may still be on the right side

Hence why the left part is often brown and the right one khaki

Both are starting their life as black though 

That's what the Daco book says at least 🙂

Edited by Red Dog
7 hours ago, Red Dog said:

The left one takes much more abuse than the right one due to the cockpit entry from the left side.
It's thus more often replaced with a different material that's fading differently from the original one that may still be on the right side

Hence why the left part is often brown and the right one khaki

Both are starting their life as black though 

That's what the Daco book says at least 🙂

That's really helpful, thanks! Sounds like a very dark brown with perhaps a dab of OD will be appropriate for a not-too-old airframe.

It depends on the time frame you are doing, 70's and 80's = black faded to purple'ish (don't paint them purple, just mix a some purple into the black).

Starting in the mid to late 90's to the end of the Tomcat's career = you can do black (faded big time), faded tan and some jets (a few) had faded olive green.

As a note, the one's I've seen on models lately are very unrealistic, they weren't that stark tan's and green, more like faded tan and with a few a very faded green. 95% of the birds I saw on the flight line/deck had faded black one's. I never thought modelers would take the info in the Daco book to the extreme they did, guess I should have been more clear (I was the technical consultant for the DACO F-14 book).

My recommendation, go with the faded black, it's way more realistic than that tan/green that everyone seems to be doing now a days.

GW

4 hours ago, GW8345 said:

It depends on the time frame you are doing, 70's and 80's = black faded to purple'ish (don't paint them purple, just mix a some purple into the black).

Starting in the mid to late 90's to the end of the Tomcat's career = you can do black (faded big time), faded tan and some jets (a few) had faded olive green.

As a note, the one's I've seen on models lately are very unrealistic, they weren't that stark tan's and green, more like faded tan and with a few a very faded green. 95% of the birds I saw on the flight line/deck had faded black one's. I never thought modelers would take the info in the Daco book to the extreme they did, guess I should have been more clear (I was the technical consultant for the DACO F-14 book).

My recommendation, go with the faded black, it's way more realistic than that tan/green that everyone seems to be doing now a days.

GW

Very timely info.  I can fix the ones on the kit I”m currently building before I install them.