GWH 1/48 F-14B?

Hey All,

I'm probably WAYYYY late to the party, but I just saw, while surfing the internet, the first reference I've seen to a brand new, forthcoming Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-14B.  I'm not that knowledgeable about F-14s in general, and certainly not at all about the significance of the F-14B, as compared to the A and D variants, but I know that there seem to be quite a few folks who have REALLY been hoping for an up to date molding of an F-14B.  Is this something that's been discussed and I've just missed?

Edited by Curt B
Spelling
On 10/21/2022 at 1:38 AM, Curt B said:

Hey All,

I'm probably WAYYYY late to the party, but I just saw, while surfing the internet, the first reference I've seen to a brand new, forthcoming Great Wall Hobby 1/48 F-14B.  I

m not the knowledgeable about F-14s in general, and certainly not at all about the significance of the F-14B, as compared to the A and D variants, but I know that there seem to be quite a few folks who have REALLY been hoping for an up to date molding of an F-14B.  Is this something that's been discussed and I've just missed?

I think that some of the enthusiasm for a B model may be because Tamiya hasn’t done one yet, and it’s the next logical step. The B was a particularly interesting variant of the F 14, just because it fixed the biggest issue that the aircraft had carried forth from its development stage. It was quite a game changer — and quite a surprise for some Air Force pilots, to hear Dave Parsons tell it — when the cat got the “big motors“!

I am eager to see what GWH comes up with, but at the same time, it will be very hard for them to compete with Tamiya. Even though Tamiya doesn’t even have a B boxing, it is not difficult to convert their A or D, which I have done. Being a huge tomcat fan, I will probably get a copy of the GWH kit, but my enthusiasm for it will be tempered by the fact that none of its parts will be interchangeable with my various Tamiya kits. The ability to mix and match parts among the Tamiya kits has come in very handy!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It is possible that GWH kit will be much better detailed. I hope cockpit, wheel bays and weapons should be much more detailed than Tamiya's ones.
So yes, I think that kit could be very interesting competition for Tamiya.

35 minutes ago, Solo said:

It is possible that GWH kit will be much better detailed. I hope cockpit, wheel bays and weapons should be much more detailed than Tamiya's ones.

WORD!

2 hours ago, Solo said:

Yeah, such a kit certainly has a spot in the market since AMK turned out to be a bust.

I second that, every factory has their point of view of the real aircraft, and it still be a representation of the real thing, AMK has some mistake, and the Tamiya was a please for the build. How we are talking about aircraft details and both kits are greats, this is my points but I have no doubt the next coming GWH should be a nice kit too.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

I am wondering if GWH corrected the biggest mistake from their 1:72 Cats - too narrow RIO's panel. The CAD shots they used for promotion had the same error.

That, and the RIO coaming has a strange tall shape. The bigger issue for me is their slats come out at the wrong angle and length. They have them over extended and equal distance from the wing. Not an easy fix. 

3 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

That, and the RIO coaming has a strange tall shape. The bigger issue for me is their slats come out at the wrong angle and length. They have them over extended and equal distance from the wing. Not an easy fix. 

Looks like it is indeed a bit too tall at the RIOs side and the upper cover angle is too shallow, not dropping enough towards the pilot's seat. Wasn't aware of the slats problem - will have to check that out.