Which F-35A - Meng or Tamiya

G'day all

Now that there's some in box reviews available of Tamiya's -35 on the web to watch, I wanted to find out from those who have already built Meng's 1/48 F-35A, which kit would be the choice? On price alone, into my hands (i.e. incl freight) there's about a $A35 difference in favour of Meng. 

Is the Tamiya kit REALLY that better - I know they've stepped up their a/c game recently with some totally amazing kits?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Tiger Tech said:

G'day all

Now that there's some in box reviews available of Tamiya's -35 on the web to watch, I wanted to find out from those who have already built Meng's 1/48 F-35A, which kit would be the choice? On price alone, into my hands (i.e. incl freight) there's about a $A35 difference in favour of Meng. 

Is the Tamiya kit REALLY that better - I know they've stepped up their a/c game recently with some totally amazing kits?

Cheers

This link should tell you why I prefer Tamiya over the Meng kit!  I have the Meng kit and I can tell you that it doesn’t go together like the Tamiya!  

I’ve built a couple of the Meng F-35s and they are solid kits and turned out quite nice. With that being said, what really excites me about the new Tamiya F-35 is the wings are molded into the top and bottom halves.

On the Meng kit, you add the wings after joining the top and bottom halves and there is an annoying seam to deal with. The top seam isn’t bad to deal with but the bottom seam is right up next to some raised detail and is not fun trying to eliminate. 

There is also a seam to deal with on the vertical stabilizer on the meng kit.  I do not see this with the Tamiya kit.  

Also there is no pilot included in the Meng kit. 

MENG kit has wrongly shaped nose cone - ogival instead of straight (BTW Italeri made the same mistake with their new F-35B). According to online photos Tamiya's cone is of perfectly accurate shape.

Just my 5 cents.