wanted: 1/48 WWII Piper L-bird (L3/L4)

I've never felt happy about my SMER/Heller Piper, it's just too small.  Heller seems to have made models to 1/50 scale and sold them as 1/48, which seems like a small difference but it's seriously visible.  

So...does anyone have an idea of a 'real' 1/48 Piper available?  

Thanks!

The cheapskate in me didn't give me permission to buy the Special Hobby L-4, but said okay to an 11-dollar Hobbycraft J-3 impersonating an L-4, which is on its way.  The clear fuselage moldings give me an opportunity to mask off the unique-to-the-military-version greenhouse.   I'm assuming Piper didn't alter the airframe, just the glazing.

Well Peter, Piper didn't alter the airframe but Hobbycraft did.  Much too tall in the cabin area, PLUS they molded in the J3 style windows. You could build a facsimile of an Army O-59 or Navy NE-1 - or a civilian J3.

C2j

Edited by Cubs2jets

Peter

Just as a point, the Piper liaison aircraft were L-4s, the Aeroncas were the L-3s.

The museum I volunteer at has a L-4J on display.

pretty much the same front seat (but squared off, not the rounded back) and panel as civil aircraft. The back seat is a two-piece sling affair (seat and back), with large radio on the rear shelf

• 2 months later...

Today I finished the Hobbycraft Piper Cub in 1941 war games livery (NX38205).  Funny how spending eleven bucks gets you an eleven-dollar kit.   But the clear fuselage molding made it dead easy to get a nice greenhouse.   The rest - - - better have some scratchbuilding imagination.  

Too bad, but not shocking, to hear about the Hobbycraft kit.

In looking at the museum L-4, your come to appreciate the little details of the type.

To get those details in a kit it would have to be 1/32 or 1/35 (to match armour kits).

Neat airplane, and like so many popular types, underrepresented in kit form.