Kinetic F-5A K48020

Hi all,

I bought one of the above kits direct from Luckymodel when they first came out in 2012, however the quality of the finished mouldings were far from great,  to the point that the kit was basically unbuildable and ended up in the bin. At the same time I ordered the Mirage2K-5 kit which also suffered from the same problems ultimately sharing the same fate. However Raymond at LM very graciously replaced the M2K5 kit with a later run version which was leaps and bounds better than the original. So am wondering if the problems with the initial F-5 releases have been rectified over the years? I know Kinetic changed their injection process procedures about 2015/16 and it seemed to correct a lot of the earlier sub standard boxings.

40 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Hi all,

I bought one of the above kits direct from Luckymodel when they first came out in 2012, however the quality of the finished mouldings were far from great,  to the point that the kit was basically unbuildable and ended up in the bin. At the same time I ordered the Mirage2K-5 kit which also suffered from the same problems ultimately sharing the same fate. However Raymond at LM very graciously replaced the M2K5 kit with a later run version which was leaps and bounds better than the original. So am wondering if the problems with the initial F-5 releases have been rectified over the years? I know Kinetic changed their injection process procedures about 2015/16 and it seemed to correct a lot of the earlier sub standard boxings.

I doubt it. A friend of mine helped with the development of that kit, it was one of the first kits they released and it was rather crude IMHO. My friend wanted more changes from the test shot, although Kinetic said no more corrections to the kit as they wanted to send it to market.

3 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I doubt it. A friend of mine helped with the development of that kit, it was one of the first kits they released and it was rather crude IMHO. My friend wanted more changes from the test shot, although Kinetic said no more corrections to the kit as they wanted to send it to market.

In that case, my kit may go straight to the "SHELF OF DOOM" without even fondling the plastic. :hmmm:

Larry 

1 hour ago, ReccePhreak said:

I wonder how you tell if you have sub standard boxing? :angry:

My kit is ©2012, although I bought it many years after that. I haven't even opened the bags on it yet. :pray:

Larry

Are you referring to the F-5 or Mirage?  The original boxing of the Mirage had very Light Grey sprues, but the later boxing was more of your standard Grey sprues, everything else, box, instructions and decals were the same. From a hazy memory the F-5 I had was of the same Light Grey sytrene.

later release on the left, original on the right

0DB06A8A-88D3-4F40-8070-7041B6784FBF.jpeg

Edited by scotthldr
16 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Are you referring to the F-5 or Mirage?  The original boxing of the Mirage had very Light Grey sprues, but the later boxing was more of your standard Grey sprues, everything else, box, instructions and decals were the same. From a hazy memory the F-5 I had was of the same Light Grey sytrene.

I am referring to the Kinetic 1/48 F-5A/CF-5A/NF-5A Freedom Fighter, Kit # K48020.

I have 4 different Kinetic 1/48 Mirage kits, not counting their Israeli Air Force Kfir C2/C7.

Larry

7 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

I wonder if the recent NF-5A, 48110 boxing is any better?

That is a MOOT POINT for me. Considering my age, number of kits in my stash and my build "rate", the ONLY way I will get more "new" kits would be to trade for them. :whistle:

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

Earlier this year, I got this NF-5A boxing from Sprue Brothers. Same molds, awfully rough. I really gave it a valiant effort, but nope, I quit building it in the middle. I had in fact did a whole bunch of riveting and found good ways of dealing with the intakes. But still, the excitement never quite picked up. I'd be so excited if Kinetic redid this F-5A with their upgraded tech/suppliers. I don't think GWH, Meng, or Tamiya will ever do it.

1293539-35457-94-pristine.jpg

Edited by Janissary