Monogram 1/48 F-104c Starfighter

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

That’s correct.  The wing tanks on the A-D models had the same (small) size fin on both sides.  The larger inboard fin didn’t start until the G/J/CF-104s.  Those models also had the dished main wheel hubs, while I think the kit has the spoked hubs of the later versions.

Thanks Dave, good to know. So I’ll correct the wingtip tank large fin.

I built this kit a few years ago and bashed it into an Italian version. Biggest issue was the speed brakes do not like to be in the closed position, required a lot of fitting and cleanup, other than that, I was happy with the final results.

During final stages...

kUxBaVD.jpg

Edited by bashace
Pic added
2 hours ago, bashace said:

I built this kit a few years ago and bashed it into an Italian version. Biggest issue was the speed brakes do not like to be in the closed position, required a lot of fitting and cleanup, other than that, I was happy with the final results.

During final stages...

kUxBaVD.jpg

Looks nice. I will build it with all open: gun, brakes and canopy.

BastianD,

1. Thank you very much for your kind words.

2. Unfortunately no I do not have a thread on the build.

Your Italian F-104G/S looks great. 

You may want to check some of your references for missing identification lights that Monogram may not have included in there mold. 

Take care,

Mr. Happy  

1 hour ago, Mr.Happy said:

BastianD,

1. Thank you very much for your kind words.

2. Unfortunately no I do not have a thread on the build.

Your Italian F-104G/S looks great. 

You may want to check some of your references for missing identification lights that Monogram may not have included in there mold. 

Take care,

Mr. Happy  

Used to the fact that ye ol Monogram kits miss quite some details: more fun to create them yourselves.

see my threads on :

- F-100 Super Sabre: 

And EA-6B Prowler: 

A Great team effort to you and your brother. 

The old Monogram Hun is on my shelf to do pile. It’s got a great outline compared to the other offerings out there.

I agree it’s fun bringing those old Monogram kits up to par with the more modern models out there. It really doesn’t take too much work on some of the kits.

My best to you and yours,

Mr. Happy 

9 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

A Great team effort to you and your brother. 

The old Monogram Hun is on my shelf to do pile. It’s got a great outline compared to the other offerings out there.

I agree it’s fun bringing those old Monogram kits up to par with the more modern models out there. It really doesn’t take too much work on some of the kits.

My best to you and yours,

Mr. Happy 

Curios to see the thread coming!

Here is a build thread I did 5 years ago. I would probably do things differently were I to build it today, but it does give you an idea of what to expect. The fit of the upper and lower fuselage was a problem, and trying to attach the landing gear doors was also frustrating. 

4 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Here is a build thread I did 5 years ago. I would probably do things differently were I to build it today, but it does give you an idea of what to expect. The fit of the upper and lower fuselage was a problem, and trying to attach the landing gear doors was also frustrating. 

Thanks Kurt, very helpful indeed. Have to check where the differences are between your kit and mine, but until now the fit of top and bottom fuselage seems to be ok.

6 hours ago, jonwinn said:

I built it's little brother the 1/72 kit, Monogram kit  pantographed down in size, yours is looking great! Word of caution, use a metal nose pitot.

F104C d.JPG

F104C e.JPG

Thanks, looks very nice!

I have just started so all pics are just for reference!