Minicraft 1/144 KC-135R, Castle AFB circa 1994

This model represents KC-135R 60-0331 during the 1993-1995 timeframe when the KC-135 Formal Training Unit was in the process of transitioning from a SAC unit at Castle AFB to an AETC mission at Altus AFB.  The 93d Bomb Wing, long the home of B-52 (328 BS) and KC-135 (93 ARS) initial aircrew training at Castle AFB, was reassigned to Air Combat Command in June of 1992, taking the B-52Gs with it until their retirement in 1994, and the Wing was subsequently inactivated in 1995 when Castle closed down. 

Meanwhile, as part of the broader tanker and airlift consolidation under Air Mobility Command, the 93d Air Refueling Squadron was reassigned from SAC to AMC in June 1992, under the oversight of AMC's 398th Operations Group, a geographically separated unit of the 97th Air Mobility Wing at Altus.  The "Triangle W" nose art is a reference to the WWII tail markings of the 398th Bomb Group, ancestor of the 398 OG.  The 97th, 398th, & 93d were collectively reassigned from AMC to AETC in July 1993 pursuant to AETC gaining the KC-135 aircrew training mission.  When the KC-135 training mission was fully established at Altus with the 55 ARS, the 93 ARS was reassigned to Fairchild in 1995 as an operational refueling squadron, where it still serves today.

Model is marked with a mix of decals from Caracal #144004, the spares box, and some custom ALPS elements.  This is my fourth Minicraft KC-135, but first R model.  These Minicraft -135s need a lot of nose weight!

thumbnail-IMG-6259r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6260r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6261r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6262r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6263r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6264r.jpg

thumbnail-IMG-6265r.jpg

Chris

Edited by Gator52

When I was at Altus (1980-1989) with the 443rd Military Airlift Wing in the C-5A 

the SAC 135 squadron was still flying the old A model "steam jet" tankers. They were 

painted in that silver grey overall paint with the SAC sash around the fuselage. When they 

would have an alert launch just follow the black smoke into the sky! And loud! 

The good old days of the US Air Force! Great job on that quiet R model.

Cheers...Ron

On 10/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, AD-4N said:

Love the subtle repaint of old markings and the Shamu scheme.

Good eye, that was something apparent in the photos and I wanted to try to replicate where the SAC-era markings had been overpainted.

Chris

Chris, Very nice work on this KC-135R.  You chose a unique time frame during the transition between SAC/AMC/AETC.  I love the noseart and the eye for detail in the oversprayed SAC markings, as well as the blend of SAC tailband, with AMC/AETC markings. Keep 'em coming!  K/r, Dutch 

Nice job!

As a high school senior in Feb ‘95 my AFJROTC group had the opportunity to go for a ride in a Castle AFB KC-135. We flew up to Oregon and refueled some ANG F-16s. I remember being told we were the last group to get an incentive ride like that before the base closed, but I really don’t know if that’s true or not. 

Beau