CD48229 - 1/48 NASA F-18

• KursadA changed the title to CD48229 - 1/48 NASA F-18

I am hoping Arnaud at BAM Models will rise up to the challenge and give us a HARV conversion set after the marvelous F-15 ACTIVE set - the sheet will have markings for the HARV in addition to the NASA F-18B SRA and various vanilla NASA Hornets.

Edited by KursadA

This is the best I could find but I'll keep digging 😉

It should be enough if you know which institution is represented by each logo, I can see NAVAIR/NASA/DARPA but not sure what the last two are, most likely a test wing and a unit

298773main_EC02-0282-3_full.jpg

The markings appear to be symmetrical:

298946main_EC02-0294-4_full.jpg

20 hours ago, KursadA said:

Looks like someone slapped a Canada sticker on there, too! The sheet won't be complete without it.

Where can I find a suitable buddy pod to use for sizing? 

I was just going to say that!

Wolfpak for the IFR pod.  This is the current pod that replaced the D-704 pod from Vietnam era. Since the retirement of the S-3, only the F-18E/F carry it now. I am pretty sure only the Navy uses it (and NASA tests on legacy Hornets), but not the Marines, unless possibly for a carrier deployment with legacy Hornets.  

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to the NASA F/A-18 decal sheet! Hopefully, this will be downsized in the future for all of us 1/72 aficionados. I do have a question that I have not been able to answer related to NASA's Hornets. Does NASA have any F/A-18D models in their stable? I have seen a few NASA (civilian?) photos where the description reads F/A-18D but when I do a search using the tail number (NXXXNA), they come up as being F/A-18Bs. Could NASA or the Navy have upgraded a few B models to D models? 

Have fun modeling!

Mike

1 hour ago, Mike J. Idacavage said:

I am really looking forward to the NASA F/A-18 decal sheet! Hopefully, this will be downsized in the future for all of us 1/72 aficionados.

The 1/48 and 1/72 sheets will be available at the same time, most likely as part of a big January batch. I have already finished the 1/48 sheet (thumbnail up on the Web site, I will post a larger image here soon), and I will be scaling it down this weekend.

I don't think NASA has any -Ds: the sheet will have markings for twin seaters 846, 847 and 852, and they are all -Bs.

Edited by KursadA

Thanks Kursad! That is great news regarding the availability of the 1/72 sheet. I'll be stocking up on both! I also appreciate your comment on the existence of a NASA -D model. That confirms why I have not been able to get solid proof of NASA having anything but a -B for a two seater.

Have fun modeling!

Mike