Minicraft Models Closing Down?

• Dutch changed the title to Minicraft Models Closing Down?

WOW! Hope that someone picks up their molds like Hobby2000 did for a lot of Hasegawas. I was under the impression they were a Chinese company. I thought. Sad to see them go as I like a lot of their airliner and U. S. cargo planes. They were a partner of Hasegawa for a while-Hasegawa-Minicraft, 1/72 F9F-2 Panther was one I did a few times.

Edited by jonwinn
punctuation

My understanding was that Minicraft was the U.S. importer for Hasegawa and later Academy. Academy and Minicraft parted ways sometime in the late 1990s and became two separate companies. I heard only bad reviews about their 1/48 F4U-5/5N, and I have their 1/48 P-38 Lightning. It's probably one of the worst models that I've ever worked on. I bought it by mistake (thinking it was the Academy kit).

Well, phooey!  I had designs on their 1/144 CFM-56 engines for more modeling ideas and their B-52D/E/F models.

I have their B-52H model, but it's an early bird and the later decal version of today's birds doesn't include the longer fuselage from the Phase VI upgrades.  

Guess it's time to look here and there.

Tom

Tom, the later H boxing (14641) has the Phase VI extension on the sprue with the EVS pods and other antenna fairings...is that what you're referring to? 

Minicraft 1/144 B-52H "Current Flying Version" Kit Review - 2Modeler.com (dembrudders.com)

Also, I just picked up the D/E boxing last week, and it includes that same late H-model sprue.

Chris

Well, phooey!  I had designs on their 1/144 CFM-56 engines for more modeling ideas and their B-52D/E/F models.

I have their B-52H model, but it's an early bird and the later decal version of today's birds doesn't include the longer fuselage from the Phase VI upgrades.  

Tom

8 hours ago, Chriss7607 said:

My understanding was that Minicraft was the U.S. importer for Hasegawa and later Academy. Academy and Minicraft parted ways sometime in the late 1990s and became two separate companies. I heard only bad reviews about their 1/48 F4U-5/5N, and I have their 1/48 P-38 Lightning. It's probably one of the worst models that I've ever worked on. I bought it by mistake (thinking it was the Academy kit).

I held on to their 1/48 F-5E kit for the longest time in hopes someone would start a Crap Kit Group Build. I finally caved and built it with bits from the Academy P-38 "multi kit".

It wasn't terrible...

F5E 004edit.jpg

Well this is crummy news if it is indeed true.   There are several of their kits I could still us in my collection.  

On 11/3/2022 at 8:55 PM, wxltcol said:

Tom

Tom, contact me off line, I snagged a fistful of these when I had the chance and might be able to let one or two go.

Don