Revell A-6E Intruder rescribe

I thought I could go back to rescribing confidently but I still have that trepidation.   There are some tricky panel lines and hatches on the wings.   You might find this interesting but while rescribing the wings I thought about using this flexible razor blade.  It seems to do the trick nicely on those long lines. It has a little give while you scrape so it won't force it's way in unlike a solid xacto blade.   It also has the advantage that the lines still show after your scrape them off so it's easier to see where to rescribe.   

img%5D  

img%5D   

You can clearly see the lines -- nice, right?  I'll probably be doing a better job now than the first half I finished which was awful, haha -- will retouch those later.

There were also some tricky hatches - especially that hatch beside the wingfold.   I didn't have an exact template for it so my first attempt was terrible and had to fill it back up.   I didn't take a picture, unfortunately -- it would have been fun to do an A-B.   Then I remembered fellow modeller zaxos (John) making his own templates out of styrene.

img%5D  

So I took a pencil rubbing of the hatch from the other wing to make a styrene cutout.

img%5D 

I should have done the same for those two smaller rectangular hatches (or are they plates).   Anyway, I'll try to correct those later.     And I think I'll try 0.25mm styrene next time for cleaner cutouts (I used 0.4mm for this one).

img%5D 

img%5D 

img%5D  

Edited by crackerjazz

You are doing a great job re-scribing, and overall with the model; I'm taking notes to improve my technique.

If you don't mind, I'll like to share some of the tools I use similar to yours. 

The razor blade is ideal for marking long, straight lines; for better control, I chipped the cutting edge by striking it with a cutter; in this way, you create a fine saw without kerf, as you can see in the picture (barely).

9lRWAPE.jpg

The part at the top is also a razor blade piece that has both ends trimmed, using a Dremel cutter disc, forming very thin chisels (red arrows); these are perfect for cleaning and shaping the panel lines previously carved since the side profile is square rather than the usual V edge of other tools.

These tools are also helpful when you have perpendicular panel lines (T shape); insert the blade in the transversal panel line while you carve the perpendicular one, thus preventing the tool from slipping through.

Regards 

Thanks, Geoff and Mr. Happy!  : )  These are really great, cruiz, thanks!  I need all the tips I can get.     I find that I'm losing steam already and there's more scribing work to be done : )

img%5D 

Did the top of the other wing as well as the undersides.    Not too happy with how some panels turned out but at least this side wouldn't be seen too much (hopefully).    And the important thing is to not lose sight of my goal which is to learn.    I know scribing will become easier but probably only after getting a few more of these raised panel kits under my belt.   I'll give myself some allowance for this build.

img%5D

img%5D

No glue yet -- just wanted to see what all this work looks like in context and also get a quick peek at what this thing builds up to.   I've never had an Intruder on my workbench and I must say this is a lot of wing : )   

url%5D

img%5D

img%5D7

img%5D

url%5D

Still a lot of bottom work up ahead -- ulp : (   I'm really tempted to glue the wings on but I can't -- my plan is to cut them up and drop the flaps.  I have absolutely no idea where to start and I'm open to ideas : )    Thanks for looking! : )

There's a step at the wing root that I had to shim:

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D 

But will still experiment further.  It might actually be better to stick some styrene strips:

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D

Proceeded with cutting up the wings, starting with the wingtip airbrakes.   

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D 

I figured once I cut off the slats, spoilers and flaps there won't be anything left to hold the shape in the middle because the glue points are on the outer edges.  I wanted to put some ribs or bulkheads to hold the shape but couldn't figure out how.   So I just put some rings on one side and 2-part putty on the other and this should hold the shape once the wings are cut up.

img%5D

I had to put some vaseline on the ring side so that when I pressed the wings together the 2-part putty won't stick to the rings.   The Free-Form Air Fast hardens really quickly so I had to work fast.

After hardening:

img%5D

I tested mating the halves together and they mesh together nicely. 

img%5D

I then had to figure out how to make the cuts easily.   The cuts have to be something like this:

img%5D

I figured the best way would be to just make straight cuts like this:

img%5D

Then cut out the smaller notches later.   Those smaller shapes will then have to be added to the slats and flaps.

img%5D  

Scored the scribe lines until I got to the other side then followed through with the xacto and the saw blade.

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

The putty and alignment rings aren't pretty but they won't be visible.  And they do a good job of mating the upper and lower halves nicely.

img%5D

img%5D  

img%5D 

I then glued on the lower part of the slats that I cut up from the bottom half to the upper side:

img%5D 

img%5D 

img%5D

Then I cut off the spoilers/flaps section:

img%5D  

Something I notice is the scribe lines on the Monogram Intruder's inner and outer wing sections aren't really in-line.   

img%5D 

Not sure if this is accurate.  I examined some Intruder drawings and they seem to be straight (one long straight line covering both spoilers).

img%5D  

Anyway, I followed the scribe lines and came up with this:

img%5D

img%5D 

That doesn't look right, does it?  Will have to correct it later with some styrene if necessary.

I then cut off the upper half of the slats:

img%5D  

And came up with the whole slats:

img%5D 

img%5D 

Still need  to work on those notches later.  And transfer the shapes onto the lower part of the slats.

Very little remains of the wing now but the alignment rings are doing a great job of aligning the halves together and holding the shape

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

I'll have to build those red leading edges where the slats slide over.    On with the self-torture!  : )

Edited by crackerjazz

I think the tabs along the wing root is a fantastic idea, great job. All I can say is your a brave man for cutting up those wings and doing all this work. Way more work than I'd want to take on but, if it all works out in the end she's gonna look really cool.

Steve

Thanks, fellas! : ) 

Did some more cutting on the other wing..

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D  

I also had to thin down the walls of the slats:

url%5D 

Then I tried to figure out how to fill the hole in front and make that red leading edge for the slats.   I was thinking about laminating styrene sheets and progressively sanding down from the thick wing root towards the wing tip.   I was trying to wrap my head around all that work -- to be able to do that correctly -- and to do the same for the other wing -- I felt overwhelmed just thinking about it.

I figured I'd be better off just cobbling together something on the printer..

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D 

Will still have to transfer those little doors onto the slats.

img%5D  

img%5D 

img%5D 

img%5D

Wow, is all I can say! I hadn't checked on this build in a while and am pleasantly surprised with everything you've done. Last I checked I believe you were just beginning to work on the wings. For a second, I considered suggesting that you make sure you wanted to go down the path of ripping the wings apart as the Monogram A-6 kit can literally turn into a bucket of worms if you're not careful and could potentially end up on your shelf of doom. However, looks like you're doing just fine.

What you've done so far kind of makes me wish I would have went with extended wings on my build; they look great with all the control surfaces in the down position. Good luck going forward.

-Elmo

On 1/21/2023 at 10:50 AM, Mr.Happy said:

Forgive my old man eyes, but did you make the slats yourself? 

Thanks, Mr. Happy.  No, the slats are still the original ones I cut off from the wings and glued together.   I only had to thin down the walls and will glue them onto the printed inner part.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:25 AM, habu2 said:

OK I think we're waaaay past a "rescribe" here....  :beer4:

I got carried away, habu2 : )   

On 1/21/2023 at 1:36 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

Nice CJ, that 3D printed parts looks great. Your lucky you know how to use that stuff, makes modeling a lot easier at times.

Steve

Thanks, Steve : )   Not as fun as building from scratch but it can be a real lifesaver on tricky parts : )

On 1/21/2023 at 6:42 PM, wardog said:

they look great with all the control surfaces in the down position. Good luck going forward.

Thanks, Elmo : )  Yes, I want to capture that Dilophasaurus look : )   

Hi CJ,

The stuffing of the wings was very clever; very well thought! I purchased the Paragon flap & slat set aeons ago, and couldn't figure why it was so complicated to fit those large resin bits back and forth of the wings. So, this was it. :hmmm:

Don't know where that kit might lie today, but it was this very same Intruder kit. I also agree on that the A-6 looks awesome with flaps and slats down, but my kit was a nightmare to put together. You're doing such a top-notch work on yours, especially with the 3D-print additions.

Will be following your build.

Cheers,

Gwen 

I just came across this re-scribing thread of yours CJ for some tips ( I've got a little Arrow that needs some o' dat ) and am blown away by your progress ... but your evolving attention towards re-building the entire kit, augmenting this and that, while employing techniques that make me "smack my head" ... is thoroughly entertaining and attention-grabbing ...

I'll be back!

You do make terrific tutorials for those of us looking for the answers to "How did that guy DO this ... " Your photos are superb and your humble, self-deprecating comments bring a smile to my old face!

I'm also curious as to how many in-progress builds you have on-the-go?

Hope to see ya at HeritageCon!

Pete

Hi Gwen, thanks for your kind words; so nice to have you drop by : )   Yes, I can see how the kit can be a nightmare to put together.   My to-do list for this kit is growing by the day.  But then I have to itemize the sequence in detail or else I just forget.   Looks like there are more gaps to fill once I glue the wings on so I picked up a tube of valejo putty.   I tossed my old one but after seeing a vid recently where water was used to smooth it out i thought I'd give it another go.   Also have some two part putty for the bigger gaps just in case.    Hi Pete, thanks! : )    Just a couple at the moment but they're just taking too long to do and so they pile up -- all because I keep wanting to enhance stuff at every turn.   Hey, it'll be great to see you at HeritageCon!   I'll go if you're going -- I'll strive to bring one of my builds along : )

Some progress with the flaps.  Let's see how these turn out on the printer.   

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D 

img%5D  

img%5D

I should have mirrored it and printed both port and starboard flaps at once but as usual I forgot.   Oh well.  I'll see how this turns out first and see what needs to be improved.  I think I should have angled it upwards a bit more -- got some of those rainbow shapes on the edge where the support gaps are.  I did put the supports on the side that won't be seen.   

Wow, that's some battle-worn build plate : )   Look at the size of those scratch marks : )    I'm actually more careful now with parts removal and don't hack away at the rafts anymore like I used to.   I just slide it around and keep it as low as I could when chipping away at the base of the raft. 

img%5D

I printed the inboard and outboard flaps as just one contiguous piece to make it easier to glue and align.     

img%5D  

Test-fitting the flaps.   I was actually worried about some twisting after UV-curing, but this seems to have stayed nice and straight.   Still have to address that gap with some styrene. 

img%5D

The flap tracks look great, although they will be largely hidden, except when viewed from the bottom, once spoilers are in place.   But I  do plan on lifting up the spoilers just a wee bit (I like getting a wing seat everytime I travel and sometimes see spoilers lifting up every now even though the plane hasn't touched down completely).   

img%5D  

img%5D

img%5D  

Thanks for looking! 

Edited by crackerjazz

Hi Steve, Thadeus, RichB63, thanks guys!  : )     

I was hoping to post a little more progress on the flaps, but I'm kind of reworking the 3D details a bit and I'm actually stuck on one of the areas -- specifically the flap-track fairing which consists of overlapping lobes like a lobster tail's.   On the Kinetic and Hobby Boss flap-down track parts I see 2 overlapping lobes only so I went with that on mine.   I was thinking the reason for that was because the lobes splay out during operation and the 3rd one becomes hidden?

There do seem to be just 2 lobes on the flap-track fairings of this Intruder.   Or could it just be the photo's fuzzy?

img%5D 

On this guy I see 3 overlapping lobes.  I also compared photos of flaps retracted and extended and the separation between the lobes looks the same.  They don't seem to splay farther apart or anything in the flaps-down position.

img%5D 

Anyone know if the fairings actually came in different versions?