Our Hobby is Incredible...

All,

This post isn't anything new, or even a unique post about the topic, but am I the only one to think that the plastic scale model hobby continues to get bigger and better, seemingly every day?  I find myself almost open-mouthed in AMAZEMENT with the continuing expansion of new model and accessory manufacturers, new kits, new publications, etc., etc., etc.  I try too look at The Modelling News every few days, but I'm considering ceasing that habit, because my head is about to explode with all the new and FANTASTIC STUFF that seems to come out almost daily!  I wish I had the room and the funds to be able to get even a tenth of the things I see coming into the hobby.  As an example, we have the upcoming new 1/35 Apache helicopters coming from Takom, and then just a few days ago, Meng is ALSO coming out with a new 1/35 Apache.  NOW Takom is doing a new 1/35 Russian Mi-28 helo.  And this is just in the somewhat narrow interest area (compared to fixed wing) of rotary aircraft!  Then we have all the new Tamiya airplanes (P-38, F-14s, F-4B, F-35A) and who knows what coming up in the future...

We have all the fantastic new cockpit details from Quinta, Red Fox and Eduard Space, which seem to come out with new things all the time, and then, the fairly new 3D printed aftermarket details for everything...  Again, I feel like my head is going to explode with all these amazing things that are available for us in our great hobby, from, say, Eduard and ResKit.  I don't know how the rest of you feel, but, in my opinion, to say we are in the golden age of scale modeling doesn't even come close to describing the state of modeling.  When I think back to what kinds of things were available when I was a young modeler, and compare that to today...it's not even worth comparison.  I keep thinking that because of the enormous volume of things that keep coming out, that the manufacturers can't possible keep making all their new things for long so they can make room for even newer stuff, so now I worry about not getting the things that I find interesting RIGHT NOW, before they are no longer available.  But then I think...what's around the next corner that we haven't even considered.  

I just thought I'd spew the overflow in my head about so much that is happening in scale modeling, and how lucky we are to be involved in our hobby today!

Technology has certainly enhanced the quality of kits, accessories and decals, but I do feel that some stuff has maybe just gone too far in order to achieve 100% accuracy(is that a bad thing?). I’ve recently used some 3D printed items, I’m not going to name the part or the manufacturer as it would be unfair to them as the item is top notch but in order to obtain the greatest of detail the part is extremely delicate, fragile and fiddly to work with that you seriously run the risk of ruining the part.

One thing that annoys me is that living in the UK a lot of stuff is out of reach due to either not available or overly expensive due to shipping/custom charges etc…..due to these new VAT rules and companies reluctance to adopt to it. Then you have overly restrictive postal regulations which forbids the carriage of paints, thinners, glues etc…..

But times are indeed good for the hobby 😆

I agree that the level of work going into the latest kits has been mind-blowing.  There's no denying that.  On the downside, I feel that it's placing those kits way too far out of my reach price-wise.  Yes, I know it's a subjective thing.  While I may not be able to (or unwilling to) pay triple digit prices that they're commanding these days, I know others can and joyfully do.  I long for the days of simpler and far less expensive kits.

As Scott mentioned above, these are indeed good times for the hobby.  Perhaps TOO good?

I guess I'm thinking of it this way:  The hobby industry is now putting out nothing but Lamborghinis and Rolls-Royces when all I really need is just a Chevy. 

Yes plenty of aircraft that have no representation on the market or in serious need of replacements, a few that come to mind for my own personal interests in 1/48 are TA-7C, T-37, T-38, Mirage F-1C, C-27, NH-90. Yet multiple F-35’s, F-14’s, F-4’s and Su-27/33’s all come along at what seems at once🤷‍♂️

6 hours ago, scotthldr said:

Yes plenty of aircraft that have no representation on the market or in serious need of replacements, a few that come to mind for my own personal interests in 1/48 are TA-7C, T-37, T-38, Mirage F-1C, C-27, NH-90. Yet multiple F-35’s, F-14’s, F-4’s and Su-27/33’s all come along at what seems at once🤷‍♂️

T'was ever thus...

Unfortunately, model companies are commercial operators who make their profits by producing kits that sell in large number to the masses, rather than products that appeal to the cognoscente. That's why certain subjects will always be kitted by multiple manufacturers, whilst more 'interesting' (to us) subjects are ignored.

Agreed that duplicative kits from multiple manufacturer does seem to be less than ideal for modelers, except in that we get to evaluate and get the model that is most accurate, most detailed, best engineered, or best glue, depending on the models interest (and wallet!)  While it is unfortunate than the same subjects are made, some at almost the same time, by different manufacturers, to the detriment of kits for the more obscure, albeit more interesting, subjects, the manufacturers must know what sells and  what their competitors are working on (can you say 'industrial espionage'?)  I'm sure that takes place even in the model industry.  And I can't argue or justify the rapidly increasing prices for these great kits.  I agree that paying over $50, or even over $100, is getting crazy, though I myself have not yet spent $100 or more (save for one kit, the Moebius Discovery from 2001), and now that I'm retired, and income is fixed/limited, I'd rather not be spending these huge prices on plastic.  

I've heard from other folks in addition to UK residents who are limited in what they can get due to outrageous cost due to taxes, or limitations one imports of certain materials, and I think that really stinks.  I'm sorry for those who don't even get a chance to obtain some of the great products out there.  I know there are periodic threads asking people's opinions about most desired kits, and I'd like to think that the manufacturers look at those threads and posts, though I'm sure they have to evaluate their potential profit margin if deciding upon the less common subjects.  It doesn't do anyone any good if a company has to close its doors because they don't make enough profit either through prices they need to get or enough volume on the items they sell.  Now, if i could just try to stop myself from seeing the next great thing that comes along so I don't have to have that, too!

On 11/4/2022 at 8:41 AM, scotthldr said:

One thing that annoys me is that living in the UK a lot of stuff is out of reach due to either not available or overly expensive due to shipping/custom charges etc…..due to these new VAT rules and companies reluctance to adopt to it. Then you have overly restrictive postal regulations which forbids the carriage of paints, thinners, glues etc…..

As a UK resident that view does not compute. I've never had any issue buying what I want, from where I want, at a decent price - whether that be locally in the UK or from overseas vendors (including paints and glues).

So I have scanned and attached copies of the cover and main article from the January & August 1968 editions of the IPMS Magazine (UK).  What is interesting to me is the state of the art at the time, both in kits and decals. I appreciate the author's suggestions for making necessary modifications (though simplistic) to correct the faults or modify both the Revell 707 & DC-8 kits, but I much appreciate the newer & better kits and multitude of beautiful decals of each that are now available. Yes, we are living in remarkable times.  Enjoy!

IPMS Magazine January 1968

IPMS Magazine August 1968

Edited by Dutch
File links fixed.
On 11/7/2022 at 9:09 PM, Dutch said:

Fixed.

Thanks for the look back in time Dutch.  The late 60's and early 70's were a good time for plastic modelers too, especially with Monogram and other kit manufacturers.  I believe the key to keeping the hobby alive and flourishing is to find ways to generate interest in it for kids which is tough due to competing time consuming activities like hand-held devices, social media, and video games.  In addition to that, there has to be kit lines with price points low enough to be affordable for most people.

1 hour ago, vonjhn68 said:

Thanks for the look back in time Dutch.  The late 60's and early 70's were a good time for plastic modelers too, especially with Monogram and other kit manufacturers.  I believe the key to keeping the hobby alive and flourishing is to find ways to generate interest in it for kids which is tough due to competing time consuming activities like hand-held devices, social media, and video games.  In addition to that, there has to be kit lines with price points low enough to be affordable for most people.

I have to agree with you on hand-held devices.  They are a real bug-a-boo. I ride my bike regularly on bike paths and I see all the time people walking without a clue to the things going on around them because they have their face stuck in their phones.  They usually jump when I go by, but you can't warn them because they got their ear phones in their ears.  I spoke with a teacher recently and he said phones are the biggest distraction in classes.  You can't teach and you can't get rid of them.  If you see a group of young people walking together there is no doubt that half of them will be on their phone instead of interacting with the real people with them.  I guess this make me an old fogey.  rant off

Geoff M

Edited by Geoff M