Well, summer's over, time to get back at the bench. I dug this out of stash finally. I have a set of United colors from Liveries Unlimited (1998) for it. I just dry fitted the major components to get the minimum amount of weight for the nose. Apparently the kit landing gear is notoriously weak. It looks like a decent kit. 

photo_2022-11-04_08-32-11.jpg

Edited by Planegeek
  • 2 weeks later...

The decals are 25 years old but seem OK. I started with some of the smaller ones. Now the cheatline is going to be a little trickier. The decals are solid for the DC-6A cargoliner, and include a gray overlay for pax windows. I'm thinking I could trim the window openings after application with a sharp #11 blade. Trimming the openings before would probably shred them after softening them in water.

photo_2022-11-15_09-15-56.jpg

Coming along nicely!

Dug the same kit out of the stash also. Doing mine in Red Cross, Biafran Airlift theme. Very simple, straight forward mold. The canopy could be a concern for me. Yours looks pretty well set. 

Will watch your progress with great interest.

Paul  

The canopy clear piece fits OK. I've seen some build threads use all kinds of splinting and tape. I just used liquid cement and held it in place while watching a movie, it wants to splay out on the sides and I didn't want to fiddle with a lot of putty that close to the clear windows. My wings were a little warped from storage, so I used wood splints and clamps when gluing them together.

• 2 weeks later...

I used flat black Alclad primer and polished aluminum which was way too bright. So I covered that with white aluminum.  I used burnt metal for the exhaust heat shields and dark aluminum for the nacelles. I got lazy and used rattle can white haha.

The instructions call for gray (coroguard?) panels in the wings behind the exhaust going all the way to the trailing edge. Those are visible on photos of the later DC-6 livery with the red and blue spear. The art deco blue cheatline photos I can find look like all natural metal on the nacelles and wings behind the exhaust.

Edited by Planegeek
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, it came out pretty good. I'm not up to the skill level of the posters here, but I'm havin a lot of fun. I had trouble with the wraparound decals on the nose and debated sanding it off and painting the blue stripe, but lots of MicroSol helped. I didn't trust myself to trim out the passenger windows so I used the decal. I have a high resolution scan as a back up if anyone would like to make a mask or print version.

photo_2022-12-20_20-51-31 (2).jpg

photo_2022-12-20_20-51-31.jpg

• 1 month later...