1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat-Sundowners now Top Gun

😁 Slow start on the cockpit, next is adding the PE. I found some Phoenix missiles in my spares box and might paint and detail them up to use. I am thinking 2 on the front Phoenix pylons and 2 on the wing glove pylons then fuel tanks . No Sidewinders or Sparrows.

Sundowners 3.JPG

TopGun 3.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

Trouble in Paradise. I painted and added the decals and both IPs to the cockpit and put them in the fuselage halves. The halves did not want to close up tight. Then I went to add the IP shrouds to the pilot and RIOs IPs and the would not fit. I took the IPs out and added them to the shrouds then added the shroud-IP assembly back on to the cockpit tub. That worked but I still had a slight gap near the nose and the area by the RIOs cockpit location. The rear most part of the assembly was fine, so I clamped the offending areas and added some Tamiya thin glue when I got a good tight fit with the clamps. I think this kit is newer than my Ghostriders kit and maybe the molds are starting to show wear? It is basically the same kit but quite a few "pressings" later. Whatever it is glued up and hopefully will hold good.

Sundowners 6.JPG

Sundowners 5.JPG

TopGun 5.JPG

TopGun 6.JPG

Edited by jonwinn
grammar
  • 1 month later...
  • jonwinn changed the title to 1/72 Hasegawa Tomcat-Sundowners now Top Gun

I changed subjects. I am now hunting decals for Maverick's Top Gun F-14A. I have the parts painted, wings,stabs missiles and 2 of the three TPS colors on the fuselage. I am masking for the last TPS color now.

TopGun 22.JPG

TopGun 25.JPG

I just looked over where I was and I am not painting the third color on the fuselage. I am painting the second color on the forward sides of the fuselage FS 36320. The area I taped off on the top of the wing gloves and cockpit-nose area get the darkest color last, FS 35237. I haven't worked on this in a while and lost track of where I was. Here is a schematic of the TPS scheme I am using and the weapons load for Maverick's Top Gun F-14A.

Tactical Paint Scheme-F-14A.png

TopGun 26.JPG