Swaybrace question

I've just finished a Kinetic CF-188A in the 2018 "60 Years of NORAD" anniversary scheme. The lower fuselage was molded with holes for the centerline pylon, so I mounted it, having found some photos of the parked plane with the pylon still in place. From other photos, they hung a small ferry tank (of various colors) from the pylon to get from show to show. My question: what about the swaybraces: would they generally stay attached to the pylon, or would they be removed once the tank came off?

Thanks, Pip

As stated, the BRU-32 sway braces will be installed, however, they are removable on the flight line and are removed for cleaning after the aircraft is finished for the day.

The sway braces are an integral part of the ejector feet so when the ejector feet are removed for cleaning, the sway braces are removed. You may find a picture or two of a bomb rack with the sway braces removed but they are only removed for a few hour (or however long it takes the Airman to clean the "feet") and then reinstalled.

For 99.9% of the time, the sway braces would be installed anytime the rack is installed, the only .1% of the time they won't be installed is explained above.

hth

GW

2 hours ago, GW8345 said:

As stated, the BRU-32 sway braces will be installed, however, they are removable on the flight line and are removed for cleaning after the aircraft is finished for the day.

I stand corrected.  I will defer to the one who actually tore the racks down for maintenance on this.  :-)

3 hours ago, GW8345 said:

The sway braces are an integral part of the ejector feet so when the ejector feet are removed for cleaning, the sway braces are removed. You may find a picture or two of a bomb rack with the sway braces removed but they are only removed for a few hour (or however long it takes the Airman to clean the "feet") and then reinstalled.

For 99.9% of the time, the sway braces would be installed anytime the rack is installed, the only .1% of the time they won't be installed is explained above.

hth

GW

It's been quite a few years, but I believe only the ejector feet are removed for cleaning and only if ordnance was expended. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, Dave Roof said:

It's been quite a few years, but I believe only the ejector feet are removed for cleaning and only if ordnance was expended. 

We always removed the swaybrace assembly also so we could oil it when we cleaned the feet, helped prevent the swaybraces from sticking and jamming up.