Might I have been had by someone on evilBay, possibly?

Hi fellas,

I won a bid on eBay for a 1/48 F6F3 corrected cowling by Cutting Edge, but now I'm entertaining serious doubts about it being legit. :hmmm:

Thing is, when the bit arrived, I saw it's all plastic - not resin - I honestly dunno whether or not Meteor Productions ever injected their bits in plastic back in the day, hence I'm seeking your knowledge. I've looked up on the Interwebs for info with regard to this subject, and everything I found out was pictures of a resin bit with the separate lower cowl  intake. This part was published as is, with a single picture; no sleeve or instruction sheet on it, so I think the lower cowl intake part might have been already glued.

Mind you, the add clearly stated that the part was made by Cutting Edge, and that's that.

But I surmise it's not. Here you are the pictures of the bit I got in the mail:

zWnD9Kb.jpg

gMdpXbj.jpg

KIfCVxP.jpg

Perhaps, if the part is not Cutting Edge's, you might help me identify which Hellcat kit this cowling is from? You see that the intake is not hollowed out (as it should have been were it legit), and that it's got a couple of tabs on the upper and lower inner cowling piece, where it should meet the forward fuselage.  

Also; this is the CN22 label, in which the vendor clearly affirms the bit to be Cutting Edge's.

FNobO0K.jpg

And last, but not least, a screenshot of the add itself in the eBay interface.

uGzyLya.jpg

If the part is bogus, I want my $48 back.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Gwen

There are reviews from 2004 of the parts. Do these match have what you got? It's hard to tell from my side; I could go either way with it.

http://acc.kitreview.com/cec48479reviewrk_1.htm

https://ipmsusa.org/reviews/Archive/Details/Aircraft/Cutting_Edge_F6F5_Cowling/Cutting_Edge_F6F5_Cowling.htm

Edit:

I take it back. Looking more into it, what you received can't be correct.

Edited by Specter1075

Initiate an Ebay return / refund with the reason that the part is not what was advertised or did not match description.  You may have to specify what you received as belonging to a Hasegawa F6F kit, not Cutting Edge. 

I recently ordered a Milwaukee battery charger and received a Makita battery charger.  I initiated an eBay return and it went fairly smoothly.  Ebay sent me a return postage placard and I packed it in the original packing material.  The correct charger showed up about ten days later.

HTH,

Dutch

I don’t remember CE doing anything like this in plastic, only resin, plus the lower cowl openings would have been opened up.  But, the stock Hasegawa  cowling has the cowl flaps molded closed.  I’m wondering if it’s a Hasegawa cowling that someone has cut and repositioned the cowl flaps.

3 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Do these match have what you got?

Hi Spectre,

Thank you for your reply. 

No, the plastic bit to the left (Hasegawa kit) of the Cutting Edge resin bit on the first link you've posted doesn't nearly look like the bit I got.

Now, the Cutting Edge resin bit on the right looks exactly as all the examples shown on the Interwebs when I looked into it.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

Initiate an Ebay return / refund with the reason that the part is not what was advertised or did not match description.  You may have to specify what you received as belonging to a Hasegawa F6F kit, not Cutting Edge. 

Hi Dutch,

Thank you too for your reply.

Already did that. Let's see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

I don’t remember CE doing anything like this in plastic, only resin, plus the lower cowl openings would have been opened up.  But, the stock Hasegawa  cowling has the cowl flaps molded closed.  I’m wondering if it’s a Hasegawa cowling that someone has cut and repositioned the cowl flaps.

Hi Dave,

Appreciate your input as well.

Well, the cowl flaps on the plastic bit I got don't quite look as if someone might have cut and repositioned them; it seems to me that they were injected that way. Also, I think the piece is not even Hasegawa, judging by the existence of the fairings for the exhaust manifolds on both sides of the cowling. The Hasegawa piece doesn't seem to have these molded in.

Thank you for your help, chaps.

Cheers,

Gwen

After doing a little digging/browsing, I'm convinced that what Gwen received is the cowl piece from a Hobby Boss Hellcat. It's the only kit part I could find that offers open cowl flaps, plus there's all the rivets (or whatever) and the dead end in the grin. Here's a pretty clear photo of the piece:

https://photos.kitmaker.net/review/4770/07.jpg

Seems to me $48 is highway robbery, especially for a Hobby Boss kit part.

1 hour ago, seawinder said:

After doing a little digging/browsing, I'm convinced that what Gwen received is the cowl piece from a Hobby Boss Hellcat. It's the only kit part I could find that offers open cowl flaps, plus there's all the rivets (or whatever) and the dead end in the grin. Here's a pretty clear photo of the piece:

https://photos.kitmaker.net/review/4770/07.jpg

Hi seawinder,

Many thanks for your answer.

Close but no cigar. Check out that the lower flaps on the Hobby Boss Hellcat kit are open, while they're pretty much inexistent (not even a scribed hint of them) on mine. Still unsure what kit this bit could be from, but anyway; $48 for anything which is not Cutting Edge resin is a little bit steep... :doh:

So, I have been had, after all.

Cheers,

Gwen

18 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Gwen, Could your piece have come from the old Otaki F6F kit? It was later re-popped by ARII and then Airfix released it as well. 

K/r,

Dutch 

I checked on that. The Otaki kit doesn't seem to have any open cowl flaps either.

3 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi seawinder,

Many thanks for your answer.

Close but no cigar. Check out that the lower flaps on the Hobby Boss Hellcat kit are open, while they're pretty much inexistent (not even a scribed hint of them) on mine. Still unsure what kit this bit could be from, but anyway; $48 for anything which is not Cutting Edge resin is a little bit steep... :doh:

So, I have been had, after all.

Cheers,

Gwen

Hi Gwen. The cowl on the Hobby Boss "Late version" kit doesn't have any (open) lower cowl flaps. I'm pretty sure that's what you got. You can compare by looking at the respective instructions at Scalemates. In any case, the circular divots are pretty much a giveaway.

We've got a winner, gentlemen! :clap2:

14 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

This review shows a picture of the HB late cowl.

https://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=8862

Yep, definitely that's the one. Such a very shrewd NCIS squad. we've got here on ARC; thank you so very much, lads. :kissing2:

Now I've got further evidence to state my case with eBay.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Gwen (the one who's been had :crying2:)

9 hours ago, peter havriluk said:

I can't wrap my head around spending nearly fifty bucks on a replacement cowling on a 1/48 kit. 

Hi Peter,

Already requested a refund, but Mr L has not answered as of yet. If the vendor doesn't reply by Nov 18th, then evilBay should step up.

I was looking for the DMold piece actually, but was dismayed to find Dmitri's page has gone cactus. :gr_eek2: When did this happen?

Saw the CE item listed on eBay and started bidding for it; price went from $2 to $35 in no time (had to fight a fella who really wanted to take it away from me at the last moment - yes, perhaps it was the vendor himself :rofl:.

Oh well... :rolleyes: My husband told me there was the Quickboost item easily available to get everywhere. Such a noob.

Cheers,

Gwen

On 11/9/2022 at 9:13 PM, Dutch said:

According to SCM, Cutting Edge released three 1:48 F6F cowls, CEC48475 (F6F-5) and CEC48479 (F6F-3) previously mentioned, but it also released CEC48109 for which there is no photo.  Perhaps it is this one?

Set 48109 is on ebay right now if anyone was curious. Not mine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144801590495?hash=item21b6d8ecdf:g:j7QAAOSwabRjatBj&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoCXDr%2FDZcjNCyWGR%2FkEttHgrW9yh1HQhxF45OL2A%2FxIffPfoyBnNIvS1UemgtJ4S4OAzsGk%2B%2FzlsLdA5jT3LY8%2FdJ%2B%2FYWn2OoJO3rLSSmfDEt5F5rAiphYp6gbL2%2B7WjDEQQHgxV7T404vRoqDlYMBaV540eUnTj0oJIYjJThUdxxI%2FbZ%2B85M3g%2BobRCA8MudEcpqgB2zaxN%2BlUPT7JhuYY%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5Lvvb-NYQ

Mike

On 11/12/2022 at 10:15 AM, P-38 guy said:

Set 48109 is on ebay right now if anyone was curious. Not mine.

:woot.gif: Oh, no...!!! I must resist; I must resist!!!

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the heads up, but I dare not start bidding for that piece again. Once I hit the bid button, something takes over me, and my credit card can easily go from boom to bust in a minute.

On 11/12/2022 at 7:23 PM, Dutch said:

For the photos, that could well be the one you received. 

Hi Dutch,

It looks quite like the one I got, but the piece Mike posted above is clearly resin, and it lacks the molded-in fairing for the exhausts on both sides of the cowling mine has. 

Cheers,

Gwen

Others got to it before me. I saw that Hellcat cowling and knew exactly what it was. It also has shape errors so it isn't even a good replacement. I'm sorry that my response is a bit late and that it doesn't really help your situation. Maybe try to return it or, if nothing else, honest feedback on the seller's ebay store might at least help others avoid making the same mistake.

• 2 weeks later...