Might I have been had by someone on evilBay, possibly?

21 hours ago, cruiz said:

For those of us who don't speak Japanese.

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f6f/f6fe-1.html#bottom

Hi Carlos,

It's clearly out of my league, by far. But what about you? With your advanced modelling skills, would you ever attempt such a correction on a 1/48 Hellcat kit?

Oh these Japanese fellas are so demanding. I've seen them pull off impressive corrections on kits.

Cheers,

Gwen 

2 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Carlos,

It's clearly out of my league, by far. But what about you? With your advanced modelling skills, would you ever attempt such a correction on a 1/48 Hellcat kit?

Oh these Japanese fellas are so demanding. I've seen them pull off impressive corrections on kits.

Cheers,

Gwen 

Thanks, Gwen; you rate my skills better than they are.

I do have the Otaki kit; the plan is to add details to the cockpit and gear bays, not so much correct the cowling, which I thought was the strong point of this kit until I found that article.

Let's see what can be done when the time comes; that grin on the Hellcat was forged on the same circle of hell where the bent wing of the corsair was done, both made to torment modelers for decades.

Carlos

On 11/29/2022 at 10:08 AM, cruiz said:

For those of us who don't speak Japanese.

http://soyuyo.main.jp/f6f/f6fe-1.html#bottom

That is quite a project!

But rather more sawing, soldering, and algebra, than I'm good for these days. 😄

Interesting how big a difference in the 'feel' of a thing that seemingly small changes in shape can make.

Now, on to page 3 of article.

And hey, thanks for making that known and available! 😎

Edited by southwestforests
fixed a tpyo

Oh, Carlos; you're such a humble and modest modeller.

4 hours ago, cruiz said:

that grin on the Hellcat was forged on the same circle of hell where the bent wing of the corsair was done, both made to torment modelers for decades.

Indeed! I hadn't noticed that characteristic grin on the Hellcat until Robertson posted that article on a thread. Now I can't look away from it. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

But rather more sawing, soldering, and algebra, than I'm good for these days. 😄

Interesting how big a difference in the 'feel' of a thing that seemingly small changes in shape can make.

Hi SWF,

I'd be glad to just replicate the correction on the grin and the rest of the lower fuselage on my Otaki kit. The wing folding mechanism is way too much.  

Cheers,

Gwen

I've been holding off saying this, but I can't stop myself: We all get hot and bothered about the grin, but in the end it's not really such a visible flaw unless looking at the model from straight in front. I did find a resin replacement cowling for the Hasegawa kit I built a decade or so ago, but I was quite content to live with the kit grin of the two Eduards I've built since then. Maybe I'm just getting slipshod in my old age.

Hi seawinder,

Each to their own, I guess. This (at least to me) is sort of like when Chris Wilson found out about the double-S shape on the fuselage of the Zvezda 1/72 Su-27 kit, remember? It's such a distinctive feature present on an airplane that well defines its outline, that it won't quite look the same once you've learnt about it. 

I'm trying to get to Mr Soyuyo through a Japanese mate of mine on Facebook, to see whether or not he would be interested in casting a 1/48 resin copy of his cowling. That would be awesome.

Every modeller I've shown this article to was mesmerised to have found out about the correct grin on the Hellcat, which is noticeable from many angles.

Can't look at the feeble grin on my Otaki Hellcat kit after this.

Cheers,

Gwen

• 2 weeks later...

I almost forgot to offer: if anyone is working on Hellcats and needs references, feel free to send me a message! I have hundreds of photos of the F6F-3 and F6F-5 at Pensacola as well as the F6F-5 at the New England Air Museum. I also have photos of a restored R-2800. I have the illustrated parts catalog too. If you want to know what ever happened to a particular airplane, I have the list of all 12,000 something airframes that was compiled by Ted Darcy.