Antarctic Helos Photos Source

Thought I'd share this for anyone with an interest in helos used for Operation Deep Freeze and other Antarctic support missions...

....a search for photos of early VXE-6 UH-1Ns today led me to a New Zealand government site where I found plenty, none of which I've ever seen before - and not only Twin Hueys, but also a couple of the two(?) UH-1Ds acquired from the Army; some of the all-orange RNZAF UH-1H and others; a few of the US Army HU-1Bs which flew to the south pole itself; a number of USN HO4Ss and UH-34Ds; and even some of USCG S-62s...

....the site search link below results in 61 page's worth of pics, and though not all the photos necessarily feature helos in them, and quite a few are of civilian/contract aircraft, only the final two pages didn't have any with aircraft in them at all...

....each individual pic opens in new window which has a download link, or you can just right-click and save to get the full-size (1,000px wide) version...

https://adam.antarcticanz.govt.nz/nodes/search?datefrom=&dateto=&keywords=helicopter&orderby=relevance&order=desc&ntids=WyIxIiwiMiIsIjMiLCI0IiwiNSIsIjYiLCI3IiwiOCIsIjExIiwiMTIiLCIxMyIsIjE1IiwiMTYiLCIxNyIsIjE5IiwiMjAiLCIyMSIsIjIyIl0=&filter=eyJudGlkcyI6W10sImZhY2V0Ijp7fX0=&a2z=W10=&page=1&viewtype=grid&type=all&digital=0&in=0&access=0&tax=eyJudGlkcyI6W10sInZhbHVlIjpbXX0=&has=W10=&bid=0&meta=W10=&metainc=W10=

A couple of pics there actually dispel an assumption made in the old thread below regarding the VXE-6 badge, which was that it was only worn on the upper section of the small forward cabin door when the window there was plated over - 'Black 12' (as opposed to early 'White' and later 'Shaded' versions of the door numbers) carried the badge on that forward door, below the window...

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Thought I'd share this for anyone with an interest in helos used for Operation Deep Freeze and other Antarctic support missions...

That is a great find. 👍

Nice photos, I love the color shots of USN H-19s. One photo shows them to be A bit more red than the H-34s.

A wide variety of types. I

Seeing the NZ green/gray Hueys makes one appreciate that Antarctica is one of the few places where that color scheme would be considered conspicuous! 😁

Am I crazy or is the last photo on page one a Kaman Seasprite?

(Four rotor blafes, doesn't look like a H-34).

12 hours ago, JohnEB said:

Am I crazy or is the last photo on page one a Kaman Seasprite?

(Four rotor blafes, doesn't look like a H-34).

5 hours ago, Tank said:

You are correct. 

Good spot - I hadn't noticed it...

....may well be the aircraft represented in the Clear Prop kit - timeframe fits:

CP-Seasprite-Scheme-3.jpg

I have never seen a Seasprite in arctic colors.

And since it isn't a "C" (Twin engines), it's from the early '60s.

many yearsago, I did see a red HH-52 transiting through Tucson...that was a surprise.