Best Airbrush

Top of the day gents! Ok...I'm an average modeler but I'm taking my skills to the next level. I have been using Badger airbrushes but I want better control and results now. What is the best airbrush in the moderate price range? What airbrush do most modelers use?

Thanks!

Paul 

I have an Iwata that works well.  A few years ago I purchased a Grex Tritium TG.  It works as well as the Iwata but it is much more ergonomic and comfortable to use for extended periods.  I eventually bought another one so that I can have 2 colors going at the same time for doing camo work.  You can see them here Tritium TG

Geoff M

I am a big fan of Iwata HP-CS.  However you can find someone that will say the Aztec was the best ever.  It is all very subjective, however here is my list of airbrushes I have owned, Testors AZtec, Badger Anthom, Tamiya Airbrush(made by Sparmax), Iwata HP-CS, Harder Steinbeck infinity.  By far my favorite is the Iwata, i use a lot of lacquers and am on my second one as I strip the chrome out eventually.   I also own and use the Infinity it is pretty good but I find it fussier than the Iwata.  With a decent cleaning protocol the Iwata just plain works every time no fuss.  I am pretty picky about my cleaning procedures though.  Paint is pesky stuff and without care you will gum up the airbrush, even with care I do so now and then.

Edited by Cbk57

Very subjective. I went from a Badger 150 to an Iwata HP-C about 25 years ago and then got the H&S Evolution about six years later and haven’t used the Iwata since. For me the Iwata was a real PITA to clean compared the either the Evolution or my subsequent purchase of the H&S Infinity.

10 hours ago, vonjhn68 said:

I own all three and agree that the ProconBoys are a little better.

Me too. Ive got a PS-290, HP-TH and the HP-TH is better

PS-270, HP-CH and the HP-CH is much better

Ive got several other Iwata airbrushes that I still own and several others over the years and the Iwata airbrushes have always come out at the very least equal to the alternative.

The Procon boy airbrushes are very good, you wouldnt regret buying any of them but the fit and finish of the Iwata counterparties, their use and over all quality over extended periods of time the Iwata versions are better over all.

6 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Very subjective. I went from a Badger 150 to an Iwata HP-C about 25 years ago and then got the H&S Evolution about six years later and haven’t used the Iwata since. For me the Iwata was a real PITA to clean compared the either the Evolution or my subsequent purchase of the H&S Infinity.

A cleaning routine is more down to the person using it than the airbrush.

Two cups of cellulose thinners through it and thats all thats required to clean it for me.

Ive noticed people seem to get involved in a cleaning routine that is much more complicated than is required and then blame the airbrush for it.

I use a few different airbrushes. But my favorite is the Proccon ps274. I also use the ps770 for very fine work or complicated camouflages. The ps274 is very easy to use and is very forgiving. It is also very easy to clean. Flush the color cup a couple of times with thinners and clean the needle and you are good to go. Price wise, the ps274 can be found for $100 or less and the ps770 can usually be found for anywhere between $220 and $300. The ps770 is more expensive, but it is a detail airbrush and a lot cheaper than the Iwata Custom Micron and does basically the same job. My general purpose airbrush is the H&S Evolution 2in1 which I use for primers and clear coats. Also very easy to use and easy to clean. 

I am a big fan of the GSI Creos Mr. Airbrush Procon Boy PS-289, 0.3mm.  It's relatively inexpensive, but works great!  I also have a PS-770/771, which, as noted in a prior post, is a competitor of the Iwata Custom Micron, but significantly less expensive, but I have found that the PS-289 can do almost as fine work, if you work out optimum paint composition/thinning and pressure.  I would not hesitate in highly recommending the PS-289.  Recognizing that everyone's experiences are different, my personal experience with the Badger SOTOR (suggested above) was very poor, and multiple copies exhibited very unsatisfactory performance, though the majority of reviews found that airbrush to be very good.

• 2 weeks later...