Scale Model World Awards.

The system was changed some years ago, to Gold, Silver and Bronze for 1st, 2nd and 3rd respectively, plus up to three 'Commended' - basically for 4th, or joint 4th...

....back when I was involved in both competing and judging at what were then simply called the 'Nationals', there was a 'Class Winner', and then however many 'Very Highly Commended', 'Highly Commended', and 'Commended' awards that the judges decided to make - every class winner received an actual trophy (or replica), and each VHC, HC and C got a certificate...

I always thought that the 'old' system was better in that it allowed flexibility, rather than having to result in a defined 1st, 2nd and 3rd...

....in circumstances where there was a clear winner which was streets ahead of the other entries in its class, and when a few of the 'next best' were all of a similar standard, judges could 'skip' VHC and award those HC, or even just C if they wished - whereas having a Gold, followed by a Bronze but no Silver doesn't really work...

....in a couple of very rare instances, entries only received one form of 'Commended' or another, as the judges felt there wasn't an actual 'winner' - though that only ever occurred in IPMS classes, never any of the sponsored/donated/memorial trophy classes, which always had to be awarded...

11 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

SMW wasnt popular this year.

Really?  There were times when the aisle in front of my stand was so packed you couldn't move, and the members' queue on Saturday went clear across the car park.  Plus they estimated several hundred entries in the competition, possibly over a thousand.

10 hours ago, pigsty said:

Really?  There were times when the aisle in front of my stand was so packed you couldn't move, and the members' queue on Saturday went clear across the car park.  Plus they estimated several hundred entries in the competition, possibly over a thousand.

Its been much busier over longer periods of time in the past and there were many sellers who I would consider usual sellers who didnt go this year too.

So while it wasnt quite it wasnt as popular this year as it has been in the past.

10 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Its been much busier over longer periods of time in the past and there were many sellers who I would consider usual sellers who didnt go this year too.

So while it wasnt quite it wasnt as popular this year as it has been in the past.

We were about a 1000 visitors down on 2019, but we still had 9000 through the doors over both days and we're confident that we'll be back up to normal service in 2023. On average, about 500 of those visitors are arriving from outside the UK.

There are lots of reasons traders didn't attend. Some long term supporters, such as Collectakit, are no longer trading. A number of European traders feel it's too difficult to get here now (after Brexit and the VAT changes) but others seem to find it practical to do so. I suspect some of the reluctance is around perception, so we'll be working to encourage those traders to return.

Zoukei Mura couldn't get out of Japan due to covid restrictions over there. Revell had some logistical issues and had to pull out at short notice. On the other hand Kinetic made it (from Kong Kong), as did Dora Wings (from the Ukraine). Many of our long term European traders were also present as were some new ones from Canada (CanMilAir), New Zealand (Kotare) and Hong Kong (Hong Kong Models). We also saw Pontos and Wolfpack Decals from South Korea make a return trip.

In terms of the traders generally, all I can say is that were a lot of happy traders leaving the halls on Sunday night and many of them indicated that they had done very well over the weekend. Vince at 'Models For Sale' has posted these two images of his stall on facebook - before and after.

On 11/14/2022 at 1:55 AM, Da SWO said:

A friend got 3 models commended at SMW. I am not familiar with SMW, and am hoping someone here can tell me what Commended means.

Scale ModelWorld (SMW) is the annual IPMS UK show and championships. It's still the largest model show in the world (by floor area) but we differ from most US shows in that the vast majority of models are placed on Branch (Chapter) stands and Special Interest Group (SIG) stands - they are not entered in the competition. Typically, only 1 in every 5 models at the show will be on the competition tables. We can't compete with the number of contest entries that IPMS USA gets, but overall we have a lot more models on display.

Our award system provides for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each Class (Category to use the US terminology), plus up to two Commended ('Honorable Mentions') for models that were almost good enough to place in the top three.

In addition to the standard class/category structure there are also a large number of Trophies that are usually judged from across the entire competition - you specify in advance which Trophies you wish to be considered for when you enter your model in the competition class. We had 1200 competition entries this year, which is a pretty good showing for us.

1029366195_ModelsForSaleBefore.jpg.2c0c6a102e05511cc0198151aca689d7.jpg335995096_ModelsForSaleAfter.jpg.5964ceaa29e36a8dc43f4ae129e7e879.jpg

Edited by John Tapsell
2 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

We were about a 1000 visitors down on 2019, but we still had 9000 through the doors over both days and we're confident that we'll be back up to normal service in 2023. On average, about 500 of those visitors are arriving from outside the UK.

There are lots of reasons traders didn't attend. Some long term supporters, such as Collectakit, are no longer trading. A number of European traders feel it's too difficult to get here now (after Brexit and the VAT changes) but others seem to find it practical to do so. I suspect some of the reluctance is around perception, so we'll be working to encourage those traders to return.

Zoukei Mura couldn't get out of Japan due to covid restrictions over there. Revell had some logistical issues and had to pull out at short notice. On the other hand Kinetic made it (from Kong Kong), as did Dora Wings (from the Ukraine). Many of our long term European traders were also present as were some new ones from Canada (CanMilAir), New Zealand (Kotare) and Hong Kong (Hong Kong Models). We also saw Pontos and Wolfpack Decals from South Korea make a return trip.

In terms of the traders generally, all I can say is that were a lot of happy traders leaving the halls on Sunday night and many of them indicated that they had done very well over the weekend. Vince at 'Models For Sale' has posted these two images of his stall on facebook - before and after.

Scale ModelWorld (SMW) is the annual IPMS UK show and championships. It's still the largest model show in the world (by floor area) but we differ from most US shows in that the vast majority of models are placed on Branch (Chapter) stands and Special Interest Group (SIG) stands - they are not entered in the competition. Typically, only 1 in every 5 models at the show will be on the competition tables. We can't compete with the number of contest entries that IPMS USA gets, but overall we have a lot more models on display.

Our award system provides for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each Class (Category to use the US terminology), plus up to two Commended ('Honorable Mentions') for models that were almost good enough to place in the top three.

In addition to the standard class/category structure there are also a large number of Trophies that are usually judged from across the entire competition - you specify in advance which Trophies you wish to be considered for when you enter your model in the competition class. We had 1200 competition entries this year, which is a pretty good showing for us.

Well going by the numbers you mention my perception was wrong.
I just remember it being busier.

I dont think there is a single trader who thinks something along the lines of its not worth going.

Phil Flory didnt go but then he isnt selling his sanders any more so thats understandable.

COVID really isnt helping at all too, which is still a thing in peoples minds. that together with other problems like Brexit, and our new tax system making it harder for traders.