Best and/or most popular compressor and tank?

I think everybody will have their personal favorite. I use a Silentaire DR150. It's pricey (700-800 dollars) but it is so quiet that I have to sometimes check that it's working. I've had one for 5 years and, as long as you remember to check the oil level...it runs beautifully.

For the money, I think California Air Tools makes a really good one. I've had mine now since January of 2015 and I love it. It's very quiet and, no oil to check. I always empty the tank when I'm finished using it too. It's 6.3 gallon and 1 HP. It cost me $179.30 with tax. They don't make my specific model anymore  but, they have something very similar.

Good luck with your search.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7135

3 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

For the money, I think California Air Tools makes a really good one. I've had mine now since January of 2015 and I love it. It's very quiet and, no oil to check. I always empty the tank when I'm finished using it too. It's 6.3 gallon and 1 HP. It cost me $179.30 with tax. They don't make my specific model anymore  but, they have something very similar.

Good luck with your search.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7135

As a piece of equipment the only downside these things have is the noise.

Provided you dont buy a cheap one then it will last you a whole life time and then some.

They will always be better than any hobby orientated compressor.

But most people just roll with something like a Sparmax or Iwata compressor 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Best? Not sure. Most popular? Any AS-186 style compressor for sale on Amazon. They’re all out of the same factory in China and are rebadged by everyone. Most people have no problems with them. Get the version with the tank. 

Edited by CFster

I have a Sparmax TC-160H. Really good compressor and very quiet. I live in an apartment and use one of the rooms for my modeling. My wife sitting in the next room can't hear it.

A little bit pricey for a hobby compressor (around 300-350) but worth every penny. Been using it for three years now and I have not had a single problem. 

I've had good luck with California compressors, too.  I have a pair that I use for various jobs.  Their smaller models balance lower noise with reasonable power.  Occasionally I've had to snug up some connections with a wrench, but I don't mind; I'd rather be able to take it apart anyway, to do my own maintenance.  

California Air Tools for the win.  

Durable, able to be worked on, and (if you get the aluminum tank) light weight.  

Also, don't know if you perform car work or light house work, but this compressor is truly a "jack of all trades" for a good bit of "light" work.

https://www.californiaairtools.com/ultra-quiet-series-of-air-compressor-contractor-grade/1-0-hp-air-compressors/cat-8010a/

I've had good experience with my No Name brand compressor. 3 gallon tank and comes with built in moisture regulator and pressure guage. Cost around $130-150 and is an invaluable tool to have. I purchased mine from spraygunner.com.