The best and/or most popular compressor and tank (for jet modeling)?

I don:t know that it matters what you model.  I use an Iwata smart jet, it is by far the best compressor I have ever owned, I have run the gamut from aerosol cans, to Paache to harbor freight cheap.  My iwata is quite and reliable, near silent, I would not use anything else personally, i have had it now for at least 6 or seven years when it goes bad I will get another one.

I have a cheaper no-name version of pretty much the same design Iwata Smart Jet uses. I've bought it used and it leaks air somewhere so it turns itself on for a bit every now and then, but works OK generally.

But, I also have a Revell master-class compressor at a different place and is noticeably better since it has a bigger bottle to store the compressed air so it can maintain steady pressure for much longer.

Edited by ijozic

I had a silent oil compressor for many years but I started getting oil in the air tank so I recently bought  "Cool TOOTY' from Spraygunners for $150 through Amazon. Not the quietest but not super loud.

It had good reviews. Comes with a tank attached and a water trap. 1/8' outlet. Spraygunners has lots of airbrushes and spray guns and accessories. I can hardly hear it when the spraybooth fan is running. There are other brands that look similar and are in the same price range.

My friend has an Iwata which is nicer but they're up in the mid $400 range.

After owning my Iwata, I will never own a loud compressor again.  Just hands down working I always have stuff playing in my work shop, music, sports podcasts and I want to hear my entertainment while I work.  It used to be when my child was small this was essential so the air compressor was not blasting and i could work while he slept.  Every compressor I have ever owned has managed the basic function of pushing air out at a usable pressure for painting plastic models.  The singular and qualititavie advantage of a high quality compressor is silence then you can add things odd like moisture traps and pressure regulators and so on.  I can tell you for a near certainty that the cheapest compressor will last you an exceedingly long time as will the best compressor they are just serving a basic function, where you get differences is things like noise, vibration and details like that.  I have owned three compressors over 30 years of modeling none ever failed me, one I don:t know where it is anymore, I can only assume I sold it at a yard sale or disposed of it in some other manner it was a cheap Paache with no regulator but it painted hundreds of models.  The second one was a cheap one with a tank and regulator, I still have it in my garage it works fine to this day it is just god awful loud.  The third is my Iwata and I stand by I will never buy anything other than Iwata again, if this one dies I will order another and have it in two busines days.   Obviously function matters but all things being equal my first priority is low noise.

Edited by Cbk57

I use latest Aztec AC500 which is probably rebadged Sparmax. 18 years and counting. It is OOP but there are plenty of similar compressors for decent price. Some people recommend CO2 tanks but I never used one.

10lb C02 - Silent, no moisture ever. One fill gets me through most of a year. $30 per fill.  I'd recommend looking into where you can get gas near you.  For me, the shop I use is less than a mile from my house. You need to buy a regulator, but the bottles are rented, you take empties to the shop to swap for full ones.

2 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

10lb C02 ...  One fill gets me through most of a year. $30 per fill.  

👍

I've had the same 20 pound tank for over 40 years. Has to be pressure certified every five years at a cost of $25 ...  and a refill here in Florida is ~ $25.

Gene K

50 minutes ago, GeneK said:

👍

I've had the same 20 pound tank for over 40 years. Has to be pressure certified every five years at a cost of $25 ...  and a refill here in Florida is ~ $25.

Gene K

I also own an aluminum C02 tank and it's a lot less convenient to get filled for me than just swapping tanks.  When I first bought it, I could get it filled locally where I now do swaps, and they handled getting it recertified when I needed it.  About 15 years ago the local dealer got bought out and they stopped doing local fills. I have to go to their main distribution center about an hour away to get a fill and leave the tank until they get around to it.  Could be same day, could be a couple days.  It ended up being easier to just do swaps locally.

12 hours ago, Crash Test Dummy said:

I also own an aluminum C02 tank and it's a lot less convenient to get filled for me than just swapping tanks. 

Yes, fewer places do refills these days, but fortunately I have a Fire Extinguisher store nearby that does refills and certifications. Swapping is definitely easier, but I have an "attachment" to my faithful tank. :rolleyes:

Gene K