Resin Cockpit Sets/3D Decals

After several years away from the hobby, I'm seeing more and more use of 3D decals. The detail is exquisite and cannot be replicated by hand.. What I am wondering, is will builders move away from resin pits and use 3D decals? I always liked the depth of the resin pits but man I don't miss the fitting  and grinding down resin. 

I’m going to say no.  While the 3D IP and side consoles are very good, resin sidewalls are usually more detailed.  Also, the 3D decals don’t do anything for the cockpit floor or the console sidewall.  They also usually don’t correct anything if the sizes and shapes of the cockpit parts are off, plus like the Eduard color PE, the non-black colors of the decals need matching with whatever paint you use for the rest of the cockpit.  For seats, resin seats are still more detailed than kit seats with some 3D belts.  Finally, the prices of some of the 3D sets approach those for a complete resin cockpit.  So no, I don’t see resin cockpits being replaced by 3D decals.  They certainly have their place and are easier than resin pits, but I think both will co-exist.

People derive different joys out of model building.  When I finish a model, it goes up on my display shelf and I never spend any time looking in the cockpits.  In the past, I would drop a resin aftermarket cockpit in my kit, but after a while, I felt like it was all for nothing.  But that's just me and my modeling style and needs.  I think all the 3D-printed stuff is pretty slick, but I see it as something that'll go under an IP coaming and will most likely never be seen again.  Again, I think it's neat, but it's not for me and I won't be purchasing any of those items anytime soon.