A-1H Skyraider and Lau-10 Zuni Rocket Launcher Question

Gang,

So I am a bit confused with the Lau-10 rocket launcher and the Skyraider. I plan on adding these to my 1/48 scale Tamiya Navy Skyraider, but have seen launchers that have 4 rocket tips sticking out of these launchers in pics, but the Hasegawa Air Weapons set "B" doesn't have the rocket tips sticking out. Is the Hasegawa set incorrect?

TIA

Brad

22 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Gang,

So I am a bit confused with the Lau-10 rocket launcher and the Skyraider. I plan on adding these to my 1/48 scale Tamiya Navy Skyraider, but have seen launchers that have 4 rocket tips sticking out of these launchers in pics, but the Hasegawa Air Weapons set "B" doesn't have the rocket tips sticking out. Is the Hasegawa set incorrect?

TIA

Brad

I wouldn't say it's incorrect, depending on what warhead is loaded (and what type of rocket motor) will determine how far out of the launcher the warhead will be. It looks like Hasegawa modeled the launcher and rockets with practice warheads, which will barely stick out of the launcher. A rocket (Mk 71 Mod 0) with a Mk 6 Mod 7 warhead and nose ogive will be about 93 inches long, the launcher is 98 inches long. Now the rocket does not sit all the way back so the nose of the rocket would barely stick out a few inches.

For my calculations (length) I used components that were in service when the weapon set was first release (1987) and what I believed was used to model the pod after.

I don't think the pod represents a modern loadout but it would be fine for a Skyraider (or any aircraft up to the mid/late 80's).

Edited by GW8345

Brad,

Your three options for 1/72 LAU-10 rocket launchers are:

Hasegawa_X72-1.JPG.f422102b755a1e43af0a8e5104436692.JPG

Hasegawa #X72-1

Italeri_177.JPG.4650ca362e25931a00621e3d134eb5eb.JPG

Italeri #177

Testors_860.JPG.bf959a7c4b29b051e21449676e29e65a.JPG

Testors #860 (same as Italeri)

I have the Hasegawa & Testors sets. I think that the Testors set includes rounded nose cones for the LAU-10, but cannot remember if the rockets stick out any further than the Hasegawa set. I doubt it, as it would make applying the nose cone more difficult.  I think I remember some kits that had LAU-10 included as armament with rockets sticking out further than the Hasegawa set, but for the life of me, can't remember which kits.  ESCI 1/72 A-4 Skyhawk?

HTH,

Dutch

10 hours ago, Brad-M said:

Would it be possible if Hasegawa produced this weapon with an empty launcher and not loaded?

Brad

That is possible and they just put some plug like thing in the tubes to simulate a rocket. For an unloaded pod, you would be able to see through the tubes so they had to throw something in there or they would have had to mold the tubes hollow.

If you want a better 1/48 scale LAU-10 I recommend the Eduard LAU-10's (SKU: ED 648226) that are available on SprueBrothers and Ebay.