Airfix Customer Service?

I've tried contacting Airfix Customer Service through their website, and never received a response.  I tried sending my request for a replacement part at least 4 times over a 2 month period, and never received a response.  Does anyone have a better or alternate contact method for Airfix?

Edited by Curt B

Hi Curt! :kissing2:

How are you doing, luv?

13 hours ago, Curt B said:

Does anyone have a better or alternate contact method for Airfix?

I'm afraid getting a response from Hornby is not easy; not quite.

The experience I had with them only bore fruit after a very nice gentleman in shiny armour at Britmodeller learnt about my problem, and kindly helped me out with it.

Long story short; I had bought an Airfix 1/48 Hurricane kit from a local vendor down here, and the windshield was missing from the clear sprue. I tried the Customer Service Dept. at Hornby, which asked me to go through the local distributor. The local distributor said Hornby didn't answer his request for spares, so I contacted Hornby once again, redirecting the local distributor's reply to me. So, in the end, Horny didn't give a rat's rump about either me or the distributor.

Out of sheer despair, I contacted someone I knew from Britmodeller via e-mail, and he gladly offered to help me out with it.

It seems it's easier if you're in the UK? :hmmm:

What's exactly that you need?

Cheers,

Gwen      

On 11/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, Gwen Phoenix said:

Hi Curt! :kissing2:

How are you doing, luv?

I'm afraid getting a response from Hornby is not easy; not quite.

The experience I had with them only bore fruit after a very nice gentleman in shiny armour at Britmodeller learnt about my problem, and kindly helped me out with it.

Long story short; I had bought an Airfix 1/48 Hurricane kit from a local vendor down here, and the windshield was missing from the clear sprue. I tried the Customer Service Dept. at Hornby, which asked me to go through the local distributor. The local distributor said Hornby didn't answer his request for spares, so I contacted Hornby once again, redirecting the local distributor's reply to me. So, in the end, Horny didn't give a rat's rump about either me or the distributor.

Out of sheer despair, I contacted someone I knew from Britmodeller via e-mail, and he gladly offered to help me out with it.

It seems it's easier if you're in the UK? :hmmm:

What's exactly that you need?

Cheers,

)

Gwen      

Hi Gwen,

Thanks so much for detailing your experience.  I've generally had great luck with several of the manufacturers, Tamiya being the absolute best by FAR!  I can't sing the praises of Tamiya customer service enough!!  

Regarding my need from Airfix...I need a replacement clear part (G09 from instruction step 89), the clear part for the wing leading edge landing lights, for the 1/48 Junkers Ju87R-2/B-2 (kit A07115).  I messed up the part with glue.  I'm happy to pay for the part and shipping, since it was my error.  I'd gotten some great ideas in another thread I started, asking how I might be able to come up with a scratch built alternative.  Some ideas were fine, but I'd still rather have the real kit part if at all possible.

Curt  (PS: I've been meaning to get back to you regarding your latest PM...soon, promise 😋)

On 11/17/2022 at 1:50 PM, Curt B said:

I've tried contacting Airfix Customer Service through their website, and never received a response.  I tried sending my request for a replacement part at least 4 times over a 2 month period, and never received a response.  Does anyone have a better or alternate contact method for Airfix?

You must be doing something wrong I contacted them a few weeks ago and got a response after about 15 mins.

And I'm in Australia.

Try spares@airfix.com

As for Tamiya, well my experience with them in Australia is that they have no customer service. You have to contact the distributor and they often aren't interested in helping. 

Edited by a4s4eva

Have you followed this exact procedure below, to the e-mail listed in it? 

https://support.airfix.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4411389893906-Spares-Request-

I doubt they will respond to a spares enquiry to the customer services e-mail, which is for general enquiries and about orders etc, not spares, you would think they might be good enough to forward your e-mail on to the spares dept though, but I guess that isn't how Airfix works.

-------------

Hey barkin and a4saeva, thanks for the comments.  To barkin, that IS the exact process I followed.  I used the term 'customer service' as a generic reference, but the spares request e-mail address, and the details they request, are EXACTLY what I did, not once, but 4 times, with no success.  Maybe I smelled through the internet, but no luck thus far.  I'm willing to try again, and maybe the 5th time will be the charm.

Hi guys, I tried asking Airfix Spares Team for a 1:72 canopy for a Lightning F2A. Very curt response after a couple of minutes ... no such part exists in their Spares dept. 

Can't believe that every single canopy has gone,lol.

Edited by Brynbob
Extra comments

Hey All,

I finally received a response from Airfix, but I admit to being a little uncertain about the legitimacy of the e-mail.  Mostly because there was no logo or anything else to make the e-mail look 'legit'.  I'm copying the content of this e-mail in blue text below to see if this looks like a response any of you may have received yourselves.  Thoughts?

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email,

it is a lot cheaper just to buy G09 spares parts are £2.00 each.
The whole sprue is £10.00

I can confirm that we have managed to source the part/parts for you and request a payment of £9.00…………. Pound Sterling. This amount is inclusive of postage and packaging.

This payment can be made by calling us on +44 (0)1843 233512 (option 1) using a Master/Visa/credit card or by sending a cheque to the following address ensuring that reference**488125****** is referred to:
Payment of these spares cannot be made via PayPal or a bank transfer.

Once payment has been received we will have the parts shipped to you from our warehouse at:

Hornby Hobbies Ltd
Units 5-10 Sparrow Way
Lakesview international Business Park
Hersden
CT3 4JQ

The required spares will be held for a period of four weeks however we look forward to hearing from you further and request an initial response within 7 days of this dated email.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Airfix Spares Team

Quite a few years ago I sent a request in for replacement wings for their BAE Hawk !/48. The wings in the kit were severely warped.

A month or two later they sent me not one but TWO sets of wings....both more warped than the original ones!!

Guess whose kits I am NEVER buying again!!

They are their own words enemy.

13 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey All,

I finally received a response from Airfix, but I admit to being a little uncertain about the legitimacy of the e-mail.  Mostly because there was no logo or anything else to make the e-mail look 'legit'.  I'm copying the content of this e-mail in blue text below to see if this looks like a response any of you may have received yourselves.  Thoughts?

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email,

it is a lot cheaper just to buy G09 spares parts are £2.00 each.
The whole sprue is £10.00

I can confirm that we have managed to source the part/parts for you and request a payment of £9.00…………. Pound Sterling. This amount is inclusive of postage and packaging.

This payment can be made by calling us on +44 (0)1843 233512 (option 1) using a Master/Visa/credit card or by sending a cheque to the following address ensuring that reference**488125****** is referred to:

Once payment has been received we will have the parts shipped to you from our warehouse at:

Hornby Hobbies Ltd
Units 5-10 Sparrow Way
Lakesview international Business Park
Hersden
CT3 4JQ

The required spares will be held for a period of four weeks however we look forward to hearing from you further and request an initial response within 7 days of this dated email.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Airfix Spares Team

That seems legit based on Chuck on large scale planes experience.

He had a 1/24 Hellcat which was missing parts when he brought it in Canada. Airfix insisted that he ring them in England, pay for the parts via credit card and only then would they replace the part which should have been in the kit in the first place.

18 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hey All,

Curt - I can confirm that is the legitimate contact phone number for Hornby/Airfix...

....based on what I paid last week ago to send some decals to @Dutch in a flat envelope, GBP 7.00 is probably about right for 'Small Packet' P&P...

....considering the overall total cost - including the price of an international phone call - for one part, personally I'd go for one of the options suggested in your previous 'Addressing Destroyed Clear Part?' thread!

Thanks to alternative and Andy for making me feel at ease with the e-mail.  Not sure if I'm going to go that route or not, as Andy points out...it's awfully pricey for one small part, especially given that I have options to replace the part already, albeit not ideal options.