Mi-8MT/Mi-17 from Annetra, Trumpeter & Zvezda in 48th scale

20 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Reading the Czech modelling forum it was visible that some people were very angry with Annetra for not releasing it for such a long time and when at last it was released they deliberately started attacking the kit. Oh well . . .

In the past I was in contact with some people at the Zvezda company and it was interesting that they were saying about the same: the local modellers were prone to attack local made kits while not being so critical of foreign makers products.

This is something that we have to live with. As I have said before this is why it is important to try to show in parallel, without bias same / similar areas of the different kits, so that the modellers can make a choice based on their own preferences. Some like this, some like something else . . .

As far as I know in a weeks time at Moson show it will be possible for modellers to have a closer look at the actual kitb both Annetra/AMK and the Zvezda.

Best regards

Gabor

Very nice action by Gabor! At first letting us know, what kit(s) are best for the more serious modeller and of course the HuAF decal sheet! 

Now I have to go to Mosonmagyaróvár next weekend to look at the AMK and Zvezda kits. I didn ´t noticed Annetra on the traders list, but hopefully Mr. Jares will be part of the GHW stand like at previous Mosonshows. 

For the next years I am really hoping for a kit or conversion set, which would provide us legacy Mi-8 versions!

58 minutes ago, falcon91352 said:

Very nice action by Gabor! At first letting us know, what kit(s) are best for the more serious modeller and of course the HuAF decal sheet! 

Now I have to go to Mosonmagyaróvár next weekend to look at the AMK and Zvezda kits. I didn ´t noticed Annetra on the traders list, but hopefully Mr. Jares will be part of the GHW stand like at previous Mosonshows. 

For the next years I am really hoping for a kit or conversion set, which would provide us legacy Mi-8 versions!

Yes, As far as I know Annetra will be at the show together with his long time friend from HGW.

Hope we will be able to meet there. 

As for the Zvezda kit, I suspect that some traders will have it. I expect that a built Annetra kit will be on the stand of HGW / Annetra.

Best regards

Gabor

Some new aftermarkets from Aires for AMK's kit; what do you think about them?

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 IR Jammer L-166 Lipa

image.file.php?object=product-photo&type

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 correction of fuel tank back

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 DISS cover

1 hour ago, cruiz said:

Some new aftermarkets from Aires for AMK's kit; what do you think about them?

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 IR Jammer L-166 Lipa

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 correction of fuel tank back

Mil Mi-8MT/Mi-17 DISS cover

As far as I know the Aires resin parts will be at the Moson show and at least some of them should be included in the Limited Edition Annetra Hungarian AF kit. 

There should be at least one more part from the resin company!

Best regards

Gabor

The Moson 2023 show is in 4 days time near the Austrian border at Mosonmagyarovar in Hungary. It is the 25th anniversary event on 22nd and 23rd of April.

While a Limited Edition Hungarian AF kit is prepared by Annetra for the event, there are also some other Annetra Limited Editions coming at the show. One of them will be the Slovak AF set. Just as with the Hungarian AF kit, the Slovak will include a special Annetra decal sheet and paint scheme of the Slovak AF.

Just as on the Hungarian AF Limited Edition, here for the Slovak AF version the same Annetra box was used with the addition of the marking for the particular version.

Here is what it looks like:

HTDasb2.jpg

Uo4N2JA.jpg

TyIRFlE.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

There were questions on how to get to the Moson Show. The most important information that one has to know that the city of Mosonmagyarovar is not far from the Austrian border and so I would recommend to anyone getting to the show from faraway places to fly to Vienna as the fastest way. You can go to Budapest also but it is very far and it will be an extra travel to get to the Moson Show.

Don’t expect to find any accommodation in Mosonmagyarovar or in villages around it as the event attracts a lot of visitors and most of them book hotels, B&B’s well in advance. I know some will book places for next year show already next week after departing from this years event. More likely to find accommodation bit further away both on Hungarian and the Austrian side.

Anyway about the Annetra kit for the show. Here is the mask which is specially designed for the Annetra kit and will be available at the show.

j1mW4PS.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

In all three different Limited Edition versions of the Annetra Mi-17 will be on sale at this weekends at the Moson Show. Above the Hungarian AF version and the Slovak was already shown. But there will be a third kit also. It is for the Polish AF helicopters.

Here are some views of it.

VR5ATlK.jpg

C5XDt9S.jpg

nZkvCJf.jpg

Please note that the decal is under its protective transparent paper and it makes it a bit vaque but the details are there!

zoTTVbA.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Little bit of a fresh news. In two days time at the Moson Model Show not only Annetra will present its new kits but also Quickboost will have several things to add to the kits. One of them is the crew entry ladder for the cargo compartment. This is a custom designed ladder which is present on ALL Mi-8 and Mi-17 helicopters around the world! It is a simple and light alu ladder. Aires /Quickboost made a replica of it and the premier of the new product is scheduled specially for the Moson show!

Here it is

0MA6pj3.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

We are in the finishing and teams from all around Europe and the World are on their way towards Mosonmagyarovar the home of the annual Moson Model Show 2023. The anniversary 25th show will already be on its way in 24 hours although some traders are starting to set up their stands today. Ok for some of them setting up stands is just an excuse to get to the show one or two days earlier and enjoy local baths since the city of Mosonmagyarovar is also famous for its spars. The weather so far is fantastic with blue sky’s, all around sunshine and around 18-22 C for the weekend. Some rain will come only after the show ends on late Sunday.  

If anyone interested about details then he can find some info on the site of the Moson show here:

https://www.mosonshow.hu/?page_id=1506

More on the show and about the Mi-17 kit after I return from the show.

Best regards

Gabor

23 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

We are in the finishing and teams from all around Europe and the World are on their way towards Mosonmagyarovar the home of the annual Moson Model Show 2023. The anniversary 25th show will already be on its way in 24 hours although some traders are starting to set up their stands today. Ok for some of them setting up stands is just an excuse to get to the show one or two days earlier and enjoy local baths since the city of Mosonmagyarovar is also famous for its spars. The weather so far is fantastic with blue sky’s, all around sunshine and around 18-22 C for the weekend. Some rain will come only after the show ends on late Sunday.  

If anyone interested about details then he can find some info on the site of the Moson show here:

https://www.mosonshow.hu/?page_id=1506

More on the show and about the Mi-17 kit after I return from the show.

Best regards

Gabor

Enjoy yourself Ya, sounds nice!

I am back from the annual and also 25th anniversary Moson Model Show, the international modelling event from the small city in Hungary near the border with Austria.

Just short infos: the weather was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!! Real early summer with above 20 C, clear blue sky’s, lots of sunshine and millions of visitors. OK not really millions, but thousands of them. : )  : )  Since there is no entry fee to the event it is difficult to tell exactly the number of visitor.

Simple numbers: there were 3025 modells of every sort entered into the competition. They were registered by 875 modellers from all over the world. (More on this later)

Some of the good news, and really just some of it, new releases:

like the 72nd Clear Prop MiG-23ML went on sale in 3 or 4 version. The Spanish AMMO of Mig had on show the 48th scale MiG-17F, Annetra had on sale the 48th scale Mi-17 kit in 3 versions, KP had on sale the 72nd scale MiG-19PM in several boxings, Eduard had on sale the float plane version of the Zero . . .

A bit of bad news: the new traders hall which is in fact a training / sports hall of the complex at Moson had its first real test. It is big enough, lots of space and not as crowded as next door Secondary School building in previous years. The bad news about it, is that it is designed to be a training hall for different sports i.e. to have a two teams of say 15 or 20 persons and not hundreds of visitors. Added to this the hot weather, it had no air, no real ventilation and even oen of the doors providing easy access to the main event hall was closed by an idiot, saying that it is only an emergency exit and people should use the one and only entry into the hall! Simply stupid! In the end he even blocked this "emergeny" door! I would have been interested in the opinion of the fire department about this, since this would have been the emergency exit for hundreds of people which was blocked!!!!!!! Oh well, there are people . . .

I am sure eventually the organizers will be able to solve the ventilation of the hall, mainly by opening the windows high up on the walls. Switching on the four industrial ventilators is not a solution, since they sounded like standing next to a jet engine at full throttle and provided little or no benefit in turnign the air around!

One small snippet of good fresh news is that later in the year (2023) there will be the Plastic Winter show in Bratislava after some 4 or 5 years of absence! At least one more international show which was always a good event to attend!

Just as in previous years apart from few photos of models on show I don’t intend to post hundreds after hundreds of photos of individual items in competition. There are others who like and love to do this, I leave it to them. For me the atmosphere of the show, people attending, what the show provides is far more important. So I stick to this.

Have to go through my photos but promise to be back soon!

But you will find all that in a separate topic here:

For this forum I will be back soon with some info and new parts for the Mi-17's.

In short the Moson show yesterday was great fun, from 7.30 to about 18.00 in the evening it was a long day but excellent!  : )  : )  : )   : ) 

Best regards

Gabor

Going back to the Mi-8MT and Mi-17 helicopter kits but still staying with the Moson show. This is what was available at the show. I did not see the Zvezda kit anywhere, but of course it is possible that somewhere it was on sale. It is certain that no modeller has built it and entered it into the competition. It would have been interesting to see how much of those fine surface rivets are visible under layers of paint. 

The Trump kit was on sale in some places somewhere between 20-25 thousand local Forints which is around 55-65 Euro. 

I did not see the original AMK version of the Annetra kit on sale, but once again there was no time to look at all the stands. But Annetra was at the show and the company was selling its kit in those three Limited Edition versions as indicated further up the page. The interesting thing is that they had different extras included in them depending on what the given country is using. The standard extras in the boxes were: the paint masks, the brand new Vac-Formed transparent parts, an extra photoetch set for antennas, of course the extra decal for the Slovak, the Polish or the Hungarian AF. And the resin parts which included: an ASO-2V flare dispenser set under the tail boom including photoetch straps, for the Slovak a replacement fuel tank part, and if I remember for the Polish the Lipa "disco light" on the tail. 

The Annetra kits were in a limited only 50 pieces / coutry version. 

v5qXYA5.jpg

H2tuVdV.jpg

At the show there were other new extras for the 3 kits. Like Quickboost had some other sets also including the already mentioned entry ladder. The Polish AWC company was selling a new decal sheet with markings for other operators also (like for example Mexico).

Ufzpfl6.jpg

dsTwmDl.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

18 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I did not see the original AMK version of the Annetra kit on sale,

Hi Gabor, indeed it was available from at least two vendors. I bought mine for 62€ and picked up the Trumpeter kit too for 59€. Together with the Zvezda kit I bought earlier this year I'm settled to cure my Hip-Feaver 😁

Btw, do you know for how much Annetra sold their limited editions? After I bought my kit I honestly didn't check (had no interest in the special edition decals). 

And many thanks for the exhaustive comparison of the three kits showing their pros and cons. Helped me to decide...to buy them all 🤣

Cheers

Markus

Hi Markus,

First of all glad that you used the previous pages for what it was originally intended for! That is everyone can make their own decision on what they want based on what is shown!

I don’t want to TELL anyone what is good or what they should buy!   I leave that to dictators!!!   : )  : )

Secondly thanks for the info that the other kits were also on sale. You were there and sure have seen the mayhem at trader stands and the astonishing quantity of kits for sale. I did not have time and patience to get around and search for things! I must be getting old and impatient.   

The value of the Annetra Limited Edition is mainly in the fact that it provides details for those particular versions, like the Polish, the Slovak or the Hungarian. Had a look inside the box of the other two, while I have the Hungarian. The decal is interesting on its own, but for the paint scheme you also get the research and knowledge which went into the design of each of them.

yq8IyXo.jpg

BUT what is more important are the other extras. You have the replacement Vac-Formed transparencies, the paint masks, the additional small antennas and lets not forget the resin parts made by Quickboost. Actually they were available separately also at the Aires Quickboost stand.

In case of the Hungarian version an ASO-2V flare dispenser is provided. I am never too optimistic (or lets say critical) about Aires products but this time I was in for a surprise. The ASO-2V is what it should be! Really nice work. It has 16 parts in all, including the straps from photoetch going around the fuselage! OK there are couple spare parts but this I would expect for such small parts and the carpet monster lurking around!  : )

Of the 3 kits (Annetra, Trump, Звезда) only the Chinese provides ASO of a kind (very far from what it should look like). Only the Quickboost set gives a correct version. If someone is planning to build an Afghanistan  era Mi-8MT he will have to add this set. OK later in the war they had the version riveted to the side of the fuselage but for most of the time it was the one with the straps under the boom.

F1kpJyC.jpg

Hungarian version also has a very simple second Quickboost part, a plug for the DISS radar altimeter. The particular  board “705” did not have the Doppler DISS box. The Annetra kit has a hole where one has to fit this plug to make a authentic representation of the real helicopter.

This is where the incredible variety of the Mi-8/Mi-17  family of helicopters comes into play. It is simply not possible to cater for all the versions. Even the Звезда kit is only scratching the surface of it all by providing several alternatives in the kit. As I understand Annetra’s aim originally was to design a Mi-17 kit which was used by the country.  

xnZ8QHR.jpg

The Slovak version has a replacement after section of the fuel tank with a big cut out for the main gear legs. (the Annetra kit has the narrow cut out). The Polish has the Lipa unit on the top and possibly the ASO as well.

In all every Limited Edition was made only in 50 pieces. As far as I know Annetra is selling the few remaining examples directly.

The Extras are available from the individual manufacturers (not the antenna fret and the decals) on their own, but it all adds up to an extra cost. Somewhere between 6 to 13 Euro EACH of them. Limited Edition set kits at Annetra in Moson was selling for 80-100 Euro depending on the version.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
17 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The value of the Annetra Limited Edition is mainly in the fact that it provides details for those particular versions, like the Polish, the Slovak or the Hungarian.

Ah, I see. Wasn't aware of all the goodies supplied for each boxing, good value for sure.

I think the basic version suits me well as I didn't want to build any of the supplied marking options. That way the special editions remained available to modelers really wanting to build these specific variants. 

And yes, the quantity of kits at the vendor stands was huge. Took me a while to weed through them 😁

Nice that they relocated them into the roomier hall this year but as you said, the air conditioning left a lot to be desired. 

Found everything I was looking for at good prices, so what more can one expect? 

Looking already forward to next year... 

Cheers

Markus

On 3/9/2023 at 2:01 PM, Tigerfan112 said:

Having now read the whole thread, really good work in comparing the three kits. This has helped me considerably since I was on the verge of ordering the Trumpeter kit from MN Modelar (who have reduced it once again)....not going to waste money on this. So this leaves only one option for me......AMK/Annetra, which does look to be the best anyway, notwithstanding the issues with surface texture. Fortunately I do have one of the AWC kits to fall back on too !.

Thanks for your work, Gabor 

Hi friend

It's great to hear that the thread comparing the three kits was helpful in making a decision about which one to buy. It's wise to not waste money on a kit that may not meet your expectations and to consider alternatives like the AMK/Annetra kit.

Edited by Amelia

It was obvious that the Звезда kit although has some rivets on its fuselage, it is confined ONLY to certain places! There are many Звезда fuselage parts which have NO rivets what so ever, even if they have them on the real helicopter. This is true of the DISS or Doppler radar altitude units box. On the Звезда kit there are absolutely no details given on the DISS box, no rivets but also absolutely nothing else as well. It is just a plain box!!! It looks like they got this far with the design on Friday, went home for the weekend brake and forgot completely about continuing it on Monday.  : )  : )

Lmw0K4J.jpg

On the Annetra kit at least surface details are provided: different hinges, the rib between the antenna panels . . .

The just released Quickboost set is interesting but I would like to point out that based on this image the aftermarket company provides the DISS box with negative / recessed rivets while the whole Звезда kit has positive rivets. So it will stand out as a sore thumb. No surprise here, Aires is what it is. . .

wcYtEUv.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

Its either pure laziness or, as I suspect, done on the basis of keeping overall costs of the baseline kit down because they know that the purists (of which there are relatively few,) will be waiting for an enterprising aftermarket company to come along with an improvement or super-detailed set anyway. The sheer number of aftermarket sets that have come out already for the Mil Mi-24/35 Hind helicopters have done little to reduce sales of the basic kit; if anything they have encouraged further sales.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2023 at 6:51 AM, Tigerfan112 said:

Its either pure laziness or, as I suspect, done on the basis of keeping overall costs of the baseline kit down because they know that the purists (of which there are relatively few,) will be waiting for an enterprising aftermarket company to come along with an improvement or super-detailed set anyway. The sheer number of aftermarket sets that have come out already for the Mil Mi-24/35 Hind helicopters have done little to reduce sales of the basic kit; if anything they have encouraged further sales.   

I once read, but not sure if it is true, that there was some sort of "partnership" between Zvezda and Quinta : Zvezda would sort of simplify their cockpit designs, allowing for room for Quinta to pitch in.

And you have many other brands which will "cut" on the design of certain parts (complex ejection seats, wheels with plain hubs and missing tire grooves, etc) knowing that many modelers will anyway end up purchasing resin equivalent.

5 hours ago, fintajoe said:

Hello Gabor,

Is there any source now to get the Hungarian edition of the AMK kit? Or at least it's decal sheet from?

Zoltan

The complete kit is available directly from Annetra. The company has all the kits remaining from the limited edition kits (Hungarian, Slovak and Polish) which were at Moson show. 

As far as I know the decal sheet is not available separately. They were made specially for the kits in the same limited number as the kits. So there are no extras available. Sorry. 

Best regards

Gabor 

4 hours ago, Silver Seraph said:

I once read, but not sure if it is true, that there was some sort of "partnership" between Zvezda and Quinta : Zvezda would sort of simplify their cockpit designs, allowing for room for Quinta to pitch in.

And you have many other brands which will "cut" on the design of certain parts (complex ejection seats, wheels with plain hubs and missing tire grooves, etc) knowing that many modelers will anyway end up purchasing resin equivalent.

As far as I know there was a sort of "cooperation" with Arma shop for the Mi-24 kit. Of course Quinta was also happy to make the decals for the interior (and they are fantastic). But it was Arma who made things for the Special PreOrder kits which included the complete riveting decal.

Yes, some manufacturers dont bother making / investing in certain details simply because they believe that modellers will get aftermarkets anyway. It is a fairly primitive way of thinking and idiology from a company in my opinion. Taking this thinking further they could simply give us a slab of wood and say that everyone can make /carve out the model.

But I think this manufacturer also realised the mistake made with the Mi-24 kit few years ago and have changed design in many ways for follow up kits like for example the Mi-8.  

Best regards

Gabor

Is there any indication at all that any of these manufacturers is planning to do an earlier Mi-8T with the long dog house and the tail rotor on the opposite side?  All of the really interesting ones I would want to do are variants of that aircraft.