Looking to Build a 1/48 Greek F-4E Phantom

Hi Gang,

If I wanted to build a Greek F-4 Phantom, which kit would be the best to use in 1/48 scale? I am hoping to build it in the Aegean Blue scheme, the original SEA scheme, but before the Aegean Ghost camo. So I guess I am looking at the F-4E in the late 70's with leading edge slats? TIA

Brad

Basic would be the Hasegawa with appropriate small add ons since Greek Air Force has its own modifications applied on them in years. They are not so big in size though so you can mange them easily.

If you need a more complex finish then please proceed with ZM and the update set from Hypersonic models or the Greek firm which can be found at the48ers.com, again in cooperation with Hypersonic.

Sorry that I can not remember the proper name.

Also, the new decals from Zeus Projects are worth to have.

The early Hellenic F-4E’s were delivered in two batches Peace Icarus 1 and Peace Icarus 2. All F-4’s in the above two batches were delivered in the SEA scheme, the Aegean Blue was later adopted onto some of a/c when the Hellenic AF reorganised the Phantom fleet. None of the PI1 a/c were TISEO equipped, whilst all of the PI2 a/c were(with the exception of 71743). Some of the PI1 a/c were DIAS equipped, but none of the PI2 a/c were. 

Peace Icarus 1 a/c are identified by serials 015**

Peace Icarus 2 a/c are identified by serials 717**

On top of that 2 a/c were delivered in 1976 to replace crashed examples from the first batch. These had serials 01618 and 01619, these two were delivered in the SEA scheme, never wore Aegean Blue and weren’t equipped with either TISEO or DIAS.

Best thing to do, is identify what a/c you want to build and come back to me and I’ll advise further.

HTH

Scott

Edited by scotthldr

Great info Scott.

For building one there are currently 2 paths: Hasegawa slatted F-4E kits can be build into the desired version OOB or take the Zoukei-Mura F-4E kit with this conversion set:

https://the48ers.com/f-4e-haf-classic-conversion-set-limited-production-set.html

These decals are nice and accurate for the early versions:

https://the48ers.com/f-4e-classic-greek-air-force-decals-no-booklet-included.html

The Icarus sheet itself has a lot of good information on the subjects giving a brief insight into each a/c. I wrote myself a very comprehensive document into the Phantom in Hellenic service, trying to document every aircraft’s history and status including updates, camouflage and special colour schemes and so on…. I put it aside and return to it every now and again to update and to do some more research. However I went to retrieve it today and can’t for the life of me remember where or what I’ve done with it😭I just hope I didn’t lose it last year when I had issues with the laptop😡

On 11/18/2022 at 10:24 AM, Nebbor said:

Great info Scott.

For building one there are currently 2 paths: Hasegawa slatted F-4E kits can be build into the desired version OOB or take the Zoukei-Mura F-4E kit with this conversion set:

https://the48ers.com/f-4e-haf-classic-conversion-set-limited-production-set.html

These decals are nice and accurate for the early versions:

https://the48ers.com/f-4e-classic-greek-air-force-decals-no-booklet-included.html

What Hasegawa kit has the slatted wings?

Also what kit has the TEISO modification?

29 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

What Hasegawa kit has the slatted wings?

Also what kit has the TEISO modification?

Pretty much any F-4E/F/G kitsince the first slatted wing E kit came out in the early 80’s.  The TISEO parts are on the slatted wing sprue.

The instructions from 1984 for the F-4G kit show the slatted wing sprue with TIESO.

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/0/8/1/114081-82-instructions.pdf

The only kits that wouldn’t have it are the Japanese -EJ kits, or an early non-slatted wing F-4E boxing, which I’m not sure they’ve done for many decades (if ever), unless it was a special limited edition boxing.

Edited by Dave Williams

That kit doesn’t come with the DIAS fairings, but I don’t think any of the E boxes do. You’ll need to acquire them from the RF-4E kit. I might have some spare that I’ll not be needing.

Edited by scotthldr
On 11/22/2022 at 3:25 AM, Wolf_el_Real said:

Ok thanks for your response.

I'll do some test with H-69 H-337 and H-62 and i'll share pictures here.

Regards

According to IPMS Cross Reference Guide by David H. Klaus here are the close equivalents:

-5237= H337

-6307= H324

-6251= Tamiya XF-22 (unfortunately no Gunze equivalents are stated)

The book had been prepared at the end of 80’s, a starting point for me aleays. Still I would humbly go cautiously with Tamiya XF-22.

Several other manufacturers do the correct FS codes, but not all are correct in colour. My personal go to paints are Xtracolor and their renditions of these colours is pretty much spot on. 

Lifecolour, MRP, Hataka are other options.

• 1 month later...