1/32 KANGNAM F-16XL "What If"

Tried a new product to enhance clear canopy finishes. It's called "Looks Like Glass". I do not recommend it. When I tried to mask the frames for painting more than 24 hour after dipping, it marred the finish.

Going back to just polishing them out or dipping in Future.

Tracy

1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

Tried a new product to enhance clear canopy finishes. It's called "Looks Like Glass". I do not recommend it. When I tried to mask the frames for painting more than 24 hour after dipping, it marred the finish.

Going back to just polishing them out or dipping in Future.

Tracy

Yep, I've tried it as well. Each and every time I've used it, whether it's been dipped or airbrushed... I've had to remove it. 

Not a product that I'd recommend

Andy

I've got a spare set of Gold tinted Tamiya canopies - Think these'll look cooler anyway! The rear section doesn't come with the whole shape due to part of it being molded into the fuselage in Tamiya kits, so...

I broke out the Apoxie Sculpt to finish the shape as seen below.

The clam shell section fits at the hinge points just fine. Good thing it'll be open because the canopy rails' fit is nowhere close to the shape of the cockpit tub.

I had to buy the Tamiya sprue on 'evil bay' that had the interior canopy rail part. No worries, I have an F-16CJ in the stash.

Canopy parts are curing after a good polishing and a Future bath.

0217232154_HDR (1)

Edited by Vidar_710
1 hour ago, Vidar_710 said:

Canopies curing after Future dip. I dipped the Hasagawa set to see if the crack disappeared - it almost does actually, but not quite good enough.

All my images above are posted from Photobucket. They're pissing me off with too many glitches, so this is also a test posting a link from my Google Photos account...

Seems to work just fine.

IWFAFq4aSQxdbYVmE7njzqbM0Cgqf7Ab31d0DgrLgRodBfSp4lLprFjnEtZTX6rmx90rcCFffF4jZbmeYQXK5f5YSq243Cr9-H_25hyFZPtGLiUMbbzM00Z7iaxgIA2iLmBsmetCL2zWJtA9QDBHTL8S2XgjSk4xgunZ6i2YRuUIqs8nSggDi4xvAGp2mpkcM3lNfLlmWVM_5nxc7iVAMP_VhAFS0UJGLV8Yy5kCO65F53cQe14gjdgwB_6e_E4MiP1fIe6dKxLsjiYPRn_-mIvfq5A1WCrXKFSz-bSXoao60xUQ8Ge8-XK-xiCyf963dbJPA2WhtTSlvSZqThkCInIKHWXkS_kThO5HHkuRD-DoP7uiKyIT9ZyjT_cr1CZXv9IbxguLg_Yt8Seh3Ua46MTjJ3hk5bLlKr3mTMrjqY43zjH4RAY2CCs09bVlRQs9gppxXCLZmeyG1NpGZOhecnOZfXYdsD747k_OzWfjfEQCaPQwakreEDa-YEY8pPpyFDhPRZT3unfbENIR6lAi4NyVZOCK-GmOzgFhZoOQmgIOGqapbW8BogLQpclSIMuP0ffSC8nxDsVyvz1JmgQ84BIC13g2pC8DnE2Z_gnrA4NEoczqaRteoQ3cVbAnib4rQOJJthxT2tv7kJOm88eniDAAnsLOY6DlPIh7WdQ2F9y3tl4Nx9HeH9tPN8FyP_BwKGke3zxYmhpf4Rsdy4f97RfFwwAtrs_tJ0TTvK_tmMqNN9G2sqPmbtIi1swGJTbQHkMjp5oSrxmB1q4tHgaq2NgTayxF-p19S2In0iLlKZd2FxoMVxxKesP3znGby64xEbwwdrG-ek7tCJp5BtwLQnSJt-prNC8yIAkhckWLt1VEL-1_Fv4XZqv6JKYvAoVaxUnw2zXiZufxoPGHpv2JCJ8kOSCXv40ZY6WCmWc=w2116-h1367-no?authuser=0

Can’t see it on my end. 

After the major modifications to make the aftermarket wheel well fit, the doors don't match the wells any longer. They have been cut in half to prepare them for a band of sheet styrene to size them up.

0226230049~2

Edited by Vidar_710

Doors fitted with sheet styrene spacer.

0227231055~2

Free Form Air Epoxie Dough applied. This will sit while I'm out on my next 4-day trip. I'll blend it in when I get home.

Edited by Vidar_710
4 hours ago, Vidar_710 said:

Doors fitted with sheet styrene spacer.

uu3bGCP9pXzGMcibiEt3XAlwGehMEhWiEN4ltMop

Free Form Air Epoxie Dough applied. This will sit while I'm out on my next 4-day trip. I'll blend it in when I get home.

uzznU4SE_y5KaVsMd9rssAkWZUQ4-m0eDTNyrygH

Can't see these pics, links are bad, error 400 (vs 404)

Well SH!T... My Photobucket had stopped showing new uploaded images, so I've been posting links to my Google photos that pics upload to automaticaly.

Hopefully Photobucket will get the "Poop in a group" so I can edit those links in.

Tracy

One of the changes from the YF-16 prototype to the production F-16 was the bigger (longer) main gear bay. Hasegawa (and everyone else) missed this detail, and it wasn't until the Tamiya kits came out that they got it right.  This is why aftermarket wheel bays intended for the Tamiya and Academy kits "don't fit" other earlier kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Layers of filler, primer, and sanding, to blend things together.... I think I got them where I like them.

0311230126~2

0311230127~2

After the 2X primer shot from a can cures overnight, I'll buff these out to prep for color.

0311230134~2

Edited by Vidar_710
  • 2 weeks later...

I made more than enough pots of primer black while shooting the 707 project, so I used some extra to check the wing seams.

I've also added the first decal. This squadron put squadron Zappers on the rear decking under the canopy. This pretty much dedicates me in a specific direction for a "What If" squadron.

0324231957_HDR