1/72 Fujimi F-4E Phantom II-slatted wings-NJ ANG

The other F-4E is moving fast so I thought I could squeeze this one in too. 1/72 Fujimi F-4E with slatted wing. It's a bit odd as this kit has no bulkhead between the pilot and WSO cockpits so i created one out of card stock. This one also has the TISEO but I don't know as of yet if my subject needs it. here is the start.

F-4E 1.jpg

F-4E 2.JPG

F-4E 3.JPG

F-4E 4.JPG

The forward bulkhead worked out fine, the fuselage halves went together fine. I was unsure about tail sitting so I added 14 grams of weight to the nose and forward fuselage. I also found some decals of what I thought was NJ ANG, but it was in the NJ scheme with the tiger on the nose and Turkish markings, after it's tour with the Jersey Guard it was leased to Turkey the tail codes removed but the Tiger remained on the nose. Not what I want.

F-4E 6.JPG

The seats are in, canopy is on,  center line fuel tank and wing pylons on. That is all that I am adding for ordnance, no bombs or missiles. Just a little bit of clean up and it is ready to mask and paint.

F-4E 13.JPG

F-4E 14.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Thanks, are there any Hill One scheme decals for an F-4E in 72nd scale? I am looking for slatted wing, USAF or ANG, no ARN 101 or TISEO, they seem to be hard to come by or I am not looking close nuff. I think the Gulf War ones had ARN 101 which I do not want. Thanks.

On 11/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, jonwinn said:

This is the scheme I want to do, I believe Hill II camo. If I can't find NJ ANG I will look for MO ANG or settle for Seymour Johnson if need be.

F-4E NJ ANG 68-0413 1991.jpg

That is indeed Hill II - it can be very difficult to distinguish Hill I (with lighter undersides in FS 36375 light ghost gray) from Hill II in photos, since shadows tend to darken all the lighter areas. The best "tell" in most cases is the landing gear doors -here most notably the nose gear door, clearly in 36118 'gunship' gray (mirroring the upper side anti-glare area), not 36375. The pylon also in 36118 is another clue, but those are less reliable since there's a possibility of them being swapped between airframes.

You can also see clearly there's no TISEO on the wing root (always occurs on the port wing in line with the inboard pylon, if fitted) and no ARN-101 'doghouse' antenna on the spine forward of the vertical fin.

The only 1:72 decals for the NJ ANG 'tiger' scheme you posted that I'm aware of are from Hasegawa's original release of the 'modern' (c. 1988) tooling of the F-4E.  That kit has been reissued in various boxings numerous times but I'm not sure which reissues might include the original marking option. Quality of those decals wasn't great, but I don't know of any alternative for the scheme.  If you go that route you might want to pick up the Hidecal sheet for the Turkish version to at least upgrade the nose art (except for unit badges and tail band, most of the other markings for NJ ANG should be available from 'generic' sources).