Seeking Info on C-141B SOLL II Aircraft

I’m trying to find info, particularly airframe modifications, on the 13 C-141B SOLL II aircraft. Can anyone point me to references and especially detailed photos? I’m not having alot of luck searching the web. The Pima Museum has one on display, but except for the nose, not much is visible in photos in the way of mods. Thanks...

Edited by bluedot25
12 hours ago, bluedot25 said:

I’m trying to find info, particularly airframe modifications, on the 13 C-141B SOLL II aircraft. Can anyone point me to references and especially detailed photos? I’m not having alot of luck searching the web. The Pima Museum has one on display, but except for the nose, not much is visible in photos in the way of mods. Thanks...

I had some photo's.  I'll look for them after my vacation.

Memory tells me they had a FLIR ball under the nose,  ecm humps on the nose, flares near the rear of the sponsens, sat-com antennas.

22 hours ago, Da SWO said:

I had some photo's.  I'll look for them after my vacation.

Memory tells me they had a FLIR ball under the nose,  ecm humps on the nose, flares near the rear of the sponsens, sat-com antennas.

Thanks...! I’ll look forward to seeing them... Meantime, have a great vacation..!

I don't think they had a FLIR ball...I don't know if it could take the drag at a 500+ mph

airspeed. I know they had bumps on the nose and SATCOM antennas. We had a MC-130J

here at Kirtland that lost the lens to it's IDS and that was at 240 knots low level in northern

NM. That was pretty expensive! 

Cheers...Ron

Tom,

World Air Power Journal (WAPJ) Vol 42, pp 54-59 has what you want with detailed close up photos of all the lumps and bumps added to the 13 C-141B SOLL II.  And yes, they do indeed have a FLIR ball mounted under the nose radome.  Let me know if you need a copy of the article.

Kind regrds,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
15 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Tom,

World Air Power Journal (WAPJ) Vol 42, pp 54-59 has what you want with detailed close up photos of all the lumps and bumps added to the 13 C-141B SOLL II.  And yes, they do indeed have a FLIR ball mounted under the nose radome.  Let me know if you need a copy of the article.

Kind regrds,

Dutch

I'd like a copy if you can send it as a .pdf

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Tom,

Kind regrds,

Dutch

I have a full set of WAPJ, I searched my in index but it only goes thru v40 ☹️

I remember seeing the first C-141A land at Edwards with the orange spike out of the radome.

It was really loud with those TF-33's and gorgeous in the sun shining off the new aluminum. 

Years later I would "dead head" in the A model to go pick up a C-5 out in the Pacific that needed

a crew. Empty with not much gas the 141 would get right off  the runway and climb out super

fast. I have pictures of the first "stretch" C-141B when it was at Altus. Never crewed the 141 

but it was definately the workhorse of Militar Airlift Command. 

Cheers....Ron

Here are a few pics from the SOLL II bird at Pima County.

Blow it up, and you can see the flare/chaff dispensers on the rear portion of the sponson.

The AAR-44 is visible under the word AIR.

I'll edit and enlarge the rear portion of the image if FLICKR doesn't allow you to enlarge properly, let me know.

141 SOLL 01

Going to be 1 pic per post, as our home network is having issues (too many devices streaming movies is my guess).

Cockpit closeup, the FLIR mount is under the nose, and IIRC, the FLIR was the same or slightly smaller then the mount.

Better view of the AAR-44

Black dot on the nose is RWAR (fwd of the 305)

I can't remember what the cone shaped protrusion is fwd of the AAR-44, RADAR altimeter?

141 SOLL 02

Tom,

Whatcha gonna use for the McGuire tail stripe? That's got me stumped for the moment.  I am going to make my second Roden C-141B in Memphis marks using Kursad's sheet, otherwise I might be tempted to do a SOLL II bird as well. 

K/r, 

Dutch 

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Tom,

Whatcha gonna use for the McGuire tail stripe? That's got me stumped for the moment.  I am going to make my second Roden C-141B in Memphis marks using Kursad's sheet, otherwise I might be tempted to do a SOLL II bird as well. 

K/r, 

Dutch 

Haven’t thought that far ahead Dutch... but Habu2 might have the solution... I’m in the “preliminary, can this be done accurately, research phase” right now...🤔