Bare metal finish for AFV's U2C

Hi all,

I'm wondering if the USAF (or CIA) ever operated the U-2C in the partial bare metal finish seen on earlier models. I don't find the color options in the AFV kit that inspiring.

Also looking to find appropriate decals if the answer to the above is yes.

Also also the jury still seems to be out regarding the intakes - some people reckon they are basically correct(ed) now as opposed to the earlier issues of the kit, others disagree - I'm curious to opinion on that also.

Thanks all,

There's a couple of B&W photos of the U-2C in bare metal with USAF markings in the Aerofax book by Jay Miller.  The captions say they were taken near Edwards and Davis-Monthan so I would assume the unpainted birds only flew domestically, not deployed, in bare metal.  Highly recommend the book, it is filled with hundreds of photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Lockheed-U-2-Aerograph-Jay-Miller/dp/0942548043

Edited by habu2
added link
On 11/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, habu2 said:

There's a couple of B&W photos of the U-2C in bare metal with USAF markings in the Aerofax book by Jay Miller.  The captions say they were taken near Edwards and Davis-Monthan so I would assume the unpainted birds only flew domestically, not deployed, in bare metal.  Highly recommend the book, it is filled with hundreds of photos.

https://www.amazon.com/Lockheed-U-2-Aerograph-Jay-Miller/dp/0942548043

Thanks so much Habu, I'll check out the book.

23 hours ago, Kevin Carroll said:

Here's one. Markings are pretty standard stuff and probably doable by rounding up your spares.

66707_silver.jpg

Thanks Kevin,

Lovely picture - Edwards / Muroc?

Problem as always despite all the advantages of the internet it's difficult to search for particular variants - if I search for bare metal U2C I get every variant of U2 including Bono.

This also does not appear to be a C variant.

Thanks for sharing nonetheless.

Marc.

You are quite welcome, Marc.

As pictured above, 56-6707 is indeed a U-2C. Like many U-2Cs, it started life as a U-2A with later upgrades to U-2C standards. In fact this bird evidently also saw earlier service as a U-2E and as a U-2F before its final configuration as a late-model "C", post 1968. I'm guessing - with emphasis on guessing - that this photo was taken just after the C conversion hence its clean bare metal appearance. (Info via the Jay Miller book Habu2 references as well as Chris Pocock's "50 Years of the U-2").

Caracal Decals make a few 1/48 U-2 sheets and while 66707 is not one of the featured U-2s, you'll find virtually all the decals you'll need save for the tail number.