Osprey Superbase Books

So a few weeks back I pulled some old copies of some of these titles out and was looking through them again. I forgot how nice these books were and some of the excellent photos inside. It was a time capsule for seeing some of these retired planes or just older paint jobs and squadrons that are gone now. I was looking to see if I had any with Canadian CF-5's since I was thinking of starting on one. I didn't have the book that was about Cold Lake so I looked on eBay and found this one along with some of the older titles and some of them were only a few bucks. I picked up a few and just wanted to revisit how nice it is to go back through some of these old books and find things and pictures I had forgotten about.

Anyone else ever go back through any of your old book stash and run into something you forgot about or that inspired you to build something because of what you read or saw? It is easy to do searches online for things we are looking for, but it's amazing sometime what you find going back through the book stash sometimes.

Regards,

Ron

I too prefer to use my reference books while building. I usually grab my topic specific ones when I'm working and use those more than the internet. I like to go back through these older titles and look for aircraft I haven't seen in awhile. I hadn't gone back through some of these older Osprey titles in a bit and forgot how nice they are. Even just some of the old non-specific aircraft books from the 80's and 90's and how nice it is to see some of these lesser publicized aircraft.

I've built a decent reference library over the years, including six* of the Osprey Superbase books.  Quite a few of the Detail & Scale and Colors & Markings books, Squadron's In Action & Walkaround books, lots of Aerofax, Ginter, Reid Air and Verlinden books, complete sets of World Air Power Journal and International Air Power Review, and a large number of incomplete sets of magazines like Wings, Airpower, Air Action, Combat Aircraft, Koku Fan....  I also buy a couple of aviation themed calendars every year (going back to 1988) which I've kept for their large format color photos.  I could probably get by without using the internet as a source, but it's a lot easier to search the web than it is to search through all those books!

* Superbase books: Ramstein, Cherry Point, Fallon, Yuma, Edwards and Key West