Monogram F-105D Build

I built all the 1/48 Monogram WWII models growing up of course. Then I went into the AF in 1983 and didn't do much modelling.  I remember the Century Series kits coming out in the 80s and always wanted to do those. I remember the Polly-S paints, I think those were for the railroading world but we liked them, and they had some nice flat colors. But those are long gone apparently, so I've been experimenting with the inexpensive hobby acrylic paints and mixing my own colors. I have the AK colors SEA set for reference and they spray nicely. But it takes multiple thin coats so I can't freehand it. Masking a good SEA camo is a little tedious, but I like the result. The coarse pigments in the matte paints are terrible on decals, so it takes a few coats of Future before decals and weathering. And I didn't realize, planes got a lot bigger going to jets haha! I may need to build some more shelves.

photo_2022-12-02_07-56-20.jpg

15 hours ago, Planegeek said:

I built all the 1/48 Monogram WWII models growing up of course. Then I went into the AF in 1983 and didn't do much modelling.  I remember the Century Series kits coming out in the 80s and always wanted to do those. I remember the Polly-S paints, I think those were for the railroading world but we liked them, and they had some nice flat colors. But those are long gone apparently, so I've been experimenting with the inexpensive hobby acrylic paints and mixing my own colors. I have the AK colors SEA set for reference and they spray nicely. But it takes multiple thin coats so I can't freehand it. Masking a good SEA camo is a little tedious, but I like the result. The coarse pigments in the matte paints are terrible on decals, so it takes a few coats of Future before decals and weathering. And I didn't realize, planes got a lot bigger going to jets haha! I may need to build some more shelves.

photo_2022-12-02_07-56-20.jpg

Nice looking Thud.   Can't wait to see your finished build.   :salute:

Decals were easy, I used a slight wash on the recessed details but I haven't resprayed it with flat because I didn't want to peel the canopy decals off with remasking. And the very last step was adding the horizontal stabs, which made it a tail sitter.  I have the -G also and of course, the Hun. I want to do the F-100 in SEA camo also and I have a new Iwata Eclipse to practice with.  I don't know if I trust myself to free hand one yet though.

photo_2022-12-10_16-19-11.jpg

47 minutes ago, Planegeek said:

I have the -G also and of course, the Hun. I want to do the F-100 in SEA camo also and I have a new Iwata Eclipse to practice with.  I don't know if I trust myself to free hand one yet though.

Looks nice PG.   I was the same way when I got my first airbrush.   The only way to learn is to jump in and start practicing.  And the Hun would be a fairly easy kit to learn on.