Airfix 1/72 Meteor III Royal Navy 1948

This is Airfix's Meteor III done as EE337/FD/051.  She was one of the Meteors used to test operations on carriers but this is her later in 1948 at RNAS Ford.

I added an arrestor hook from plastic rod and faired in the gunports with the tips of wooden toothpicks.  The exhaust nozzles also needed shortening for this one and some bumps on the nacelles had to be removed.   It's a nice little kit for its vintage.  This was built from a first release and included a stand!  The fit was very good all round and it had delicate, but raised, detail.  I did sand off the rivets from the fuselage as they were invisible on the real thing but left the control surfaces alone.   

It's brush painted with Testors ModelMaster Sky and Vallejo EDSG. The roundels are from a 1970s sheet by Stoppel decals and went on like a dream - no yellowing, no cracking, good adhesion.  I wish I had more of them!   The serials and codes are homemade decals.  I also did decals for the wing walkways but only one worked so 90% of those are drawn on with a Sharpie marker  (though I see the final coat of matt clear wiped a bit of them off!!).  

David

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

pr1.jpg

s1.jpg

t5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...