CD144027 - 1/144 SAC B-52A/F

CD144027 will be a 1/144 scale set for Strategic Air Command B-52 variants: basically from the RB-52B to the -F, with perhaps some prototype markings thrown in. I am sure there will eventually be a 1/72 version.

@Kursad,

Ooorah!  Really looking forward to this one as well. May I suggest B-52F-65-BW, 57-149 of the 736th Bombardment Squadron, 454th Bombardment Wing in silver over black paint?

JS_0149.PNG.323c250702b60b0439692fa06838a8a8.PNG

Just curious, will you be adding the fuselage, stab & wingwalk lines also? 

K/r,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
8 hours ago, Dutch said:

@Kursad,

Ooorah!  Really looking forward to this one as well. May I suggest B-52F-65-BW, 57-149 of the 736th Bombardment Squadron, 454th Bombardment Wing in silver over black paint?

JS_0149.PNG.323c250702b60b0439692fa06838a8a8.PNG

Just curious, will you be adding the fuselage, stab & wingwalk lines also? 

K/r,

Dutch

Yes, I think all airframes had these lines during the period, even camouflaged ones.

Does anyone know what the black square right underneath the "A" is? It is on all of the aircraft from this period all the way to Arc Light and immediate postwar era. I think it is just an armament marking panel, a black patch for armorers to write using chalk or something. The irregular "markings" on these seem to be remnants of chalk but I can't be sure. Hopefully it is not a ridiculous conjecture and I am missing something obvious.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

Yes, I think all airframes had these lines during the period, even camouflaged ones.

Does anyone know what the black square right underneath the "A" is? It is on all of the aircraft from this period all the way to Arc Light and immediate postwar era. I think it is just an armament marking panel, a black patch for armorers to write using chalk or something. The irregular "markings" on these seem to be remnants of chalk but I can't be sure. Hopefully it is not a ridiculous conjecture and I am missing something obvious.

Are you referring to the window right under the "A" or the black rectangle under the window?    Though I'm only seeing this on F-52F's and not on any "D's"\.

Edited by Drifterdon

Yes, it is a window. On B's, C's & D's (probably E's too) it was located slightly higher and further forward, in front of the "A."  It was not present on the G/H models.  There is also the AN/APX-6 IFF antenna located very near this location according to the antennae location chart, but the chart is not distinct enough to be clear.  

Edited by Dutch

From the 1969 Monogram B-52D/F release. Window holes are clearly visible. As David points out, they were filled in starting with the 1971 release forward, so it is a good idea to include it on the 1/72 sheet. Of course, in 1/144 scale, it will be required as none of the 1/144 kits has a clear window in that position. Perhaps two variations may be required, a lighter one for the black sided Ds and a darker one for the silver painted airframes. I find it interesting that Monogram included the lower fuselage windows, but never opened up the four windows above the cockpit. Those were always offered as decals only.

Screenshot_20221207_232425.thumb.jpg.a198b69252e19991880cd8ccecbb8068.jpg

Edited by Dutch
added additional comments.

Hi,

Cool, I'm quite happy that there is going to be a 1/144 sheet for early B-52's.

How about kits? I've been looking at Scalemates.com and it seems all the 1/144 kits out there (apart from the new GWH and Academy B-52G/H) are still related to the Crown/Revell/Academy kit.

I bought the Minicraft B-52D/F kit No 14745 and found it over-priced for what it was. 

Have Academy or GWH said anything about doing the "tall tails"?

Cheers, Stefan.

• 9 months later...

A couple of words on this topic . Yes it was a window on all the tall tails . Per DAD ( a B-52 bomb/ nav , all the tall tails had the windows . Later in their lives they were covered over . In practice most navs covered it with a curtain as it made viewing the radar screen difficult . Starting with the G Boeing for rod of the window.

the other word is a request , decals for a 6th SAW B-52E Walker AFB and a 93 BW B-52F Castle AFB . Love the natural metal era tall tails 

Scott 

Still working on it, both in 1/72 and 1/144. Expect something very similar to the B-47 sheet in diversity. I took notes of your suggestions and will incorporate them into the sheet, it will be a super colorful sheet. 

To quasi-quote Major Kong:

"Kursad, Did you say "a super colorful sheet?"  How many times have I told you boys I don't want no horsing around on the forum!  .... Well, I've been to one World's Fair, a rodeo and a picnic, and that's the BEST thing I've ever heard come over a set of headphones."  

"Come on boys!  Let's get this thing on the hump.  We've got some modeling to do!"

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 10:20 AM, Jetdog said:

How about a B-52E from the 17th BW based at WPAFB in the 1960's, along with hound dog missile markings???

B-52E 70026 17th BW WPAFB 1963.jpg

YES to the Hound Dog missile markings in 1/144.   What Minicraft gives you is sorely lacking.   Would even love to see some markings for the little Quail decoy in 1/144.

undefined

• 2 months later...

Will you include a 509th BW D model on both 1/144 & 1/72?  As can be seen in the links they carried the 509th BW badge on the starboard side while at Pease AFB.  

Edited by Dutch
add link.
  • 2 weeks later...