A-4B vs A-4C differences?

Is the only visual difference between the 2 models the nose?  I have a C kit and were thinking of getting a B nose for conversion.  I looked online and didn't find any definitive information.  I appreciate any input..

Thanks,

Gary

2 minutes ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

https://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2010/07/a4d-skyhawk.html

The C (-2N) was "all-weather" so other additions from the B (-2) were the windshield wiper, the radar altimeter antenna under the left wing (reportedly added to some -2s), etc (see the link above)

Great, thanks!  I knew that it existed somewhere but just couldn't locate it.  

Additionally, many, perhaps most, A4D-2 aircraft featured the “early style” wingtip lighting configuration.

Also, by the mid 1960s A4D-2’s (by then A-4B’s) were fitted with windshield wipers.

The instrument panel layout was significantly different than later model Skyhawks too.

BuNo 142928

bcQXIZH.jpg

0XOcWNU.jpg

VA-95 A-4B’s circa 1967-68
VDeMIAS.jpg

tiEY78a.jpg

Edited by RichB63

In the 1/48 Hasegawa Skyhawk kits, the bulk of the B & C kits are identical and share several sprues with the E/F and M based kits. The there are different sprues for the different nose cones and the "B" sprue includes a different instrument panel that is flat across the bottom.  

MAW-Decals did a conversion about 15 years ago, but they've been inactive for several years.

48r010.jpg.0d4baa25920533b8e0535e16f6f7adf8.jpg

9 hours ago, fulcrum1 said:

The A-4B and the RF-4C get no love from Hase

The RF-4C is easy enough, just pick up the B and use the instructions you find on Scalemates with aftermarket decals. 
As for the A-4B/C, it is a bit of a niche compared to later versions, so not the main sellers. But they are possible to find, specialy if you are willing to find another boxing and instructions for ie the B 

For "us" 1/72 modelers, Hobby 2000 has reissued the excellent Fujimi Skyhawks, including the B and C as well as other.  Outstanding packaging and Cartograf decals.

Available at a very affordable price and great service from here!

Gene K

Edited by GeneK
11 hours ago, Niels said:

As for the A-4B/C, it is a bit of a niche compared to later versions, so not the main sellers. 

Niels, I get the gist of what you are saying.  The later versions were used by more users, USN, IDF, RAN, RNZAF, USMC etc.  But niche?

Look at the numbers:
A-4A, 166 built.
          A-4B  542 built.
          A-4C 638 built.

To me, those are not niche numbers.  And for the early part of the Vietnam war, they did they a lot of the USN/USMC bombing.  
Nevertheless, it is my fault for not jumping on getting one when they were available.  Each month I look at the new releases in hopes of a Hasegawa A-4B, I will just keep waiting.  

OK, niche is maybe the wrong word, but you got my point 🍺😊👍

Here is by the way a couple of conversions for those interested: 
CAT4 Models 1/48 A-4C Skyhawk big radome nose section (for Hasegawa) R48019 | eBay

CAT4 Models 1/48 A-4B/P/Q Skyhawk nose section (for Hasegawa) R48035 | eBay

Edit: 
CAT4 is on discount at The48ers.com; 
A-4A conversion set (the48ers.com)

Edited by Niels

AFAIK the B's were used on a single cruise in Vietnam. VA-15 and VA-97. The C's were used much more. Plus I feel it's quite easy to mistake B for C.

Again, if You're 1/72 scale modeler, apart from the re-released Fujimi Skyhawk family, there used to be a nice colourfull decal sheet (or two) from Xtradecal for A-4B's.