I thought it might be fun to share our planned builds for 2023 and then we can revisit this topic at the end of the year and see how we did.  If you're like me, you like to plan ahead.   

You can be as vague or detailed as you want.  

Here are some of the kits I have planned for 2023

1/35 Coast Guard HH-65

1/35 Academy MH-60S as HSC-14 California Wildfire Markings

1/32 Trumpeter F8F Bearcat 

1/48 E/A-18G Growler VAQ-209

1/72 BPK P-8 

1/48 Tamiya P-47 Tarheel Hal  

1/48 GWH F-15 Grim Reapers

** Totally forgot my Mig Killers for the Model Geeks group build**

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy Modeling  

Edited by eraucubsfan

This will be fun to revisit this time next year. My inspiration changes all the time, I have so many Kits i have bought, but lost interest before I could get to them. With that being said here are what I hope to build...

Kinetic 1/48 F-21 Kfir with Furball Decals

MPC 1/25 1984 Corvette

1/48 F-16 (not sure which one)

1/48 F-5 (Not sure which)

1980s NASCAR model .. not sure which one yet

That is a pretty optimistic list. I build so slowly ... some models seem to span several years. 

I have a couple cars, '57 chevy and '67 mustang to build.  Never done cars so we will see what happens.  Continue on my Phantom Phase.  After that maybe switch to my mustang stash (P-51's that is.)

Geoff M

I’m a member on Large Scale Models and we’re kicking off a group build with a “wet” theme on Jan 1.  I’ve decided to build the huge 1/128 Seaview in a diorama.  I’m kinda stirring it up on purpose since it’s mostly an airplane building group, but since I’m a moderator, who’s gonnna tell me no?  :taunt:

After that on my list is:

1/32 Revell F-14 Jolly Rogers as in the Final Countdown movie. 

1/32 Trumpeter A-6A

1/32 Phantom.  Not sure which one yet.  EJ KAI Panther Squadron, a Blue Angels or a Thunderbird.  Maybe all? 

I’ll have to mix in a syfi kit as well.  Maybe my resin 1/350 Klingon D-7 battle cruiser

Now that I’m retired, let’s see how this goes! 

Edited by Scott Smith

I have a general plan with a few very likely and some I would like to get to.

Already started and plan to finish in 23 

#1. Border 1/32 Lancaster-  this is started, and is the main effort.   

#2. Great Wall Su-27UB also started and is painted.   A few good weekends will push this one to the finish line 

Most likely new starts 

A Phantom-  this is likely the Z-M F-4G but I also have the Tamiya B.   One maybe both will hit the bench 

Eduard Spitfire MkIX,  I just got the Royal boxing to do for a friend so at least one of these 

Andy’s HHQ Sherman   It looks great in the box and a I usually get a couple armor kits in a year 

Airfix Sea Vixen-  also for a friend and probably a mid year palette cleanser 

Tamiya F-35 

Tamiya T-72-  I’ve had this on my list a long time, to do as one of the ones I worked on in Iraq 

Possibles

Tamiya F4U-1D.   A 1/48 Corsair is always fun and I realized I don’t have any GSB aircraft on the shelf 

Great Wall A-10-   If they release a C this year it may vault to the top,  I have the Italeri on the shelf of doom after GWH announced their A-10 

Eduard A6M

ICM OV-10

Hobbyboss A-6E 

AMT Razorcrest-  likely a distraction build if I get stuck on something else 

Something from WNW-  I got a few in the recent sales and I’ve never done a true WNW kit.  

2 hours ago, Scott Smith said:

I’m a member on Large Scale Models and we’re kicking off a group build with a “wet” theme on Jan 1.  I’ve decided to build the huge 1/128 Seaview in a diorama.  I’m kinda stirring it up on purpose since it’s mostly an airplane building group, but since I’m a moderator, who’s gonnna tell me no?  :taunt:

After that on my list is:

1/32 Revell F-14 Jolly Rogers as in the Final Countdown movie. 

1/32 Trumpeter A-6A

1/32 Phantom.  Not sure which one yet.  EJ KAI Panther Squadron, a Blue Angels or a Thunderbird.  Maybe all? 

I’ll have to mix in a syfi kit as well.  Maybe my resin 1/350 Klingon D-7 battle cruiser

Now that I’m retired, let’s see how this goes! 

When you do the F-14, make sure to paint the entire upper surfaces Gull Gray. At the time of the filming of the movie, they were transitioning to overall Gull Gray. They still had the white undersides, but the topside was Gull Gray.

10 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Everything I didn’t finish in 2022, 2021, 2020…..

👍

I'm going to finish the two I have on the go now Spitfire XIV and Sabre 5 (both Academy in 48th scale) and then I have no idea what I'm going to start after I finish those.  It'll be a jet though because I like to alternate...jet then prop.  Maybe a CF-104...maybe a CF-18...maybe a CF-100...maybe a CF-101...so many decisions.

12 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

When you do the F-14, make sure to paint the entire upper surfaces Gull Gray. At the time of the filming of the movie, they were transitioning to overall Gull Gray. They still had the white undersides, but the topside was Gull Gray.

Damn, that’s what is difference that I just couldn’t put my finger on.  Thanks!!! 

Edited by Scott Smith

I guess my top priority should be finishing my Hasegawa Royal Navy Phantom that's been languishing on the Shelf of Doom for several months. On top of that, kits I plan to build next year:

1/48 Hasegawa A-4F Blue Angels

A Z-M Phantom, either the F-4D as a 4th TFW jet or the J as a Blue Angels jet

1/144 BPK Canadair CRJ-700

1/24 Aoshima Lamborghini Aventador

1/24 Hasegawa Porsche 944 Turbo

1/24 Tamiya Porsche 911 GT1

1/24 Nunu BMW M6 GT3

A second display case, since my first one is full.

Ben

1/32 A-10C in flight top of the pop

1/35 HH-65 Coast guard in flight

1/32 Saab Viggen

1/32 F-16 Thunderbirds in flight

1/48 DKM U-boat (1 year is not enough) diorama continued

1/48 elevator 4 and Finger USS nimitz diorama + 3 Superhornets parked (E, F & G)

1/32 Mig-21 Lancer

As usual I'll probably achieve a tenth of it 🙂

13 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

What? People actually plan builds? 😂

Same thought here.  About as much "planning" I do is to plan to build some airplane kits.  What those kits might be depends on what I'm feeling at the time.

15 minutes ago, Joe Hegedus said:

Same thought here.  About as much "planning" I do is to plan to build some airplane kits.  What those kits might be depends on what I'm feeling at the time.

I think planning isn't exactly what I do, more like my "to do" list or projects I'd like to do. I'm sure there will be changes and I will end up building different from my original list.

2 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

I think planning isn't exactly what I do, more like my "to do" list or projects I'd like to do. I'm sure there will be changes and I will end up building different from my original list.

Just from curiosity, who makes a 1/35 HH-65?  

What ever my customers have me build.....As for what I keep.....

A couple 1/48 F-18Es

At least one 1/32 CF-104D, maybe 2.

Couple Star Trek ships.

Maybe a 1/32 Tomcat or 2.

Various Phantoms.