1/48 VA-164 "Ghost Riders" Decals

I am modeling the A-4 Skyhawk flown LT Frank Elkins of VA-164 "Ghost Riders" flying off the Oriskany in 1966.  The only VA-164 Oriskany decals I've seen are the sheet below in the bottom right corner which is no longer available.  Wondering if anyone has this sheet and would be willing to sell that particular set of decals off the sheet?

Thanks,

James S

8194964_ScreenShot2022-12-15at1_11_48PM.thumb.png.ae6e9a49e0045388c67f993fb9ff4d4f.png

I literally just downloaded and was reading a preview of your book and plan to order a copy in the near future.  Just finished rereading “Heart of a Man” and currently rereading “Over the Beach” and “Bloody Sixteen” is next.  Read the first two books prior to initial training at VFA-125.  LT Frank Elkins was among the attack pilots names painted on the POW/MIA wall in the main passageway. It was quite sobering and motivating at the same time.  I have little doubt I will enjoy your book.

In the process of acquiring a few A-4 kits and associated decals .  Everett Alvarez being the first as I also flew 400 series jets off the Conny.  Have  MacCain and Stockdale.  Finding VA-164 from the 1966 Oriskany cruise quite challenging.  Hopefully more options will be printed soon.

James

I would say “Hope you enjoy it,” but it’s thoroughly depressing. Those dudes went through so much. I can’t even begin to fathom.

Go buy Mike “Mule” Mulane’s “Dead Men Flying.” It’s up there with All quite on the Western Front and Forgotten Soldier for the amount of raw emotion. The best book about the air war I’ve ever read. 

I’m hoping these sheets come out soon as I’ve got several a/c I want to build.

I will certainly add that to my reading list and I agree it is hard to fathom what it was like flying missions over Vietnam and your squadron mates not returning to the ship.  We often had late night discussions wondering who had occupied our rooms  as the Constellation was one of the few active carriers the deployed to Yankee Station.  Alvarez was shot down in 411 which was one of our jets.

If anyone should have influence over a set of Airwing 16 decals I think it would be you.  Hopefully they will have the sets you are looking for.  “Over the Beach” concentrates mostly on VF-162 and just mentions other airplanes were shot down or captured.  I am looking forward to your book to understand the bigger picture and sacrifices made by the other squadrons.

If you don’t mind my asking which particular aircraft are you interested in modeling?

On 12/15/2022 at 8:39 PM, fa18frog said:

If you don’t mind my asking which particular aircraft are you interested in modeling?

Frankly any gray and white jet from the Tonkin Gulf is the majority of what I build. Similar to you and Connie,  I was on Kitty Hawk so am particularly fascinated by her involvement.