Raised Rivet Decals for the P-38J?

Hey All,

First off, I know that rivet decals are nothing new, and many of you have used them before and shown your work, which has always been impressive to me.

Eduard has come out with a rivet set for the Tamiya 1/48 P-38J (ER48003).  HGW also has rivet set for the P-38J.  Both of these sets run in the $55-$65 range, which places these rivet sets at almost the same price as the kit itself.   A modeler, 'Details Scale Models' just recently posted a full kit build that includes application of the Eduard rivets, and he did a super impressive job!  I was just curious about the thoughts any of you may have regarding the amount of work, and the likelihood of success, for doing a set of rivets like this.  

It appears that almost the entire plane has some rivet additions, thus, a huge amount of work.  Secondly, the fact that this plane is done in a natural metal finish, which goes on top of the rivets.  I am well aware of the sensitivity of surface preparation in order to make for the best possible NMF look.  Frankly, as a modeler with middling, at best, skills, I'm thinking that all of these aspects, combined with the prices of the kit and the rivet set, is a potential recipe for disaster.  That said, I think it would great to have a P-38J with that level of detail, on display at my house.  What are your thoughts about the combination of issues I've presented?  Would you do it?  Or would you set aside the improved details and simply say that it's not worth the anxiety and potential frustration of such a build?  Thanks for any ideas you may have for me.

The Eduard rivets are on large enough decal panels that it looks like it won't be that hard to get them on the model. As long as you don't try to apply them when you're drinking, getting high, sick, or angry it should be about as easy as it is ever likely to get. I have seen some reports about "weirdness" with recent Eduard kit decals that you may want to investigate before you commit money and time to the project.  

Basically a great idea but on P-38s I only see flush rivetting..?? Am I wrong in thinking that recessed rivets made with a rivet wheel (Rosie) is still the best method?

I think both companies would have faired better with a different subject choice...

Curt

You sound like just the modeler that Eduard made this set for.  Go for it!

Me, I'd just work at doing the best job I could with what comes out of the box.  Careful fitting and gluing, minimal filling and sanding.  Preserve what Tamiya worked so hard to give me.

C2j

Thanks, guys...I really appreciate the thoughts and opinions.  I'm thinking that I'll give these rivets a try.  I know it will be scary, but we should all try to broaden our horizons, true?  

The rivets poked through the paint near the cockpit in the hundreds, like shiny raised dots, so not that flush... The wear made them very visible, more so than most types with smaller walking surfaces or with a protective covering. This poke through effect applied mainly to Olive Drab versions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well THAT will certainly limit my bench time...   🦄

lol!

Maybe I should finish my Monogram P-38 that has remained untouched for multiple decades. That has restrained rivetage. We modelers campaigned for manufacturers to stop using off scale details and now we've turned the corner and are utilizing scale upgrade details. For me, I'd like to see the return of retractable landing gear! I was the only kid on my block that could get those Monogram (and others) working features to function. Ahh, for the dayz of dive bombing the pets!

Cheers,

The P-38 can get a bit "rivety" on top, despite flush rivets. Especially notable is how tight the rivet pattern is on the wing... The reason it shows less on other types is they tend to have narrower wing walk areas. The whole wing is also more steeply sloped from the tail dragging attitude on most other fighter types, which encourages people to spread their weight and limits their activity on the surface. The P-38 is more level, so the shoe wear really shows after a while. You can see the ones at the back are even more stripped than the closer one...

P-38 Formation

R.cc1f02b96242b2420d6c394af046f16d?rik=hSYfiGVqwDuW1A&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.americanairmuseum.com%2fsites%2fdefault%2ffiles%2fstyles%2flarge%2fpublic%2ffreeman%2fmedia-456768.jpg%3fitok%3dkO-25lZs&ehk=qJxDFQ8750IW10Zt%2fwpMvFscYh%2b9IPFiSlrGpHEkm7A%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw&r=0