Academy 1/48 A-10C

Thanks for the link... looking forward to some build reviews.

For whatever it's worth, a couple thoughts from a guy who has been around the Hog every day for over 20 years...

- Looks like, while the tail cone AAR-47 sensors are present, they didn't include the wingtips ones.  The sensor is a complex little detail that may be tough to add; hopefully the aftermarket guys will come to the rescue.

- The ECS housing ("doghouse") between the nacelles is way too tall, but it should be straightforward to just knock it down in height with a file and plastic card.

- The surface detail looks great. The verdict on how good the kit is will, in my eyes, be how all those individual parts come together to represent the whole.  The A-10 is actually a fairly complex series of shapes that, in my opinion, only Monogram has captured accurately.  Modern kits like those from Italeri and Hobbyboss don't come close, particularly the former.

With the exception of the absent MWS sensors, it looks like Academy is providing a solid baseline A-10C.  As always, you'll have to research the specific subject you're modeling, as the upgrades have continued and still will.  Little stuff like replacing LOX with OBOGS, new EGI, new and relocated panels in the cockpit, etc.

Edited by Guard Hog
47 minutes ago, Guard Hog said:

ooks like, while the tail cone AAR-47 sensors are present, they didn't include the wingtips ones.

Do you mean both of them, or only that bigger one?
I am not so sure, but maybe those parts on glass sprue are those sensors?
image.png.31c98482bd6ab5a53863958d3d803e80.pngimage.png.f9fac498856c61254dae5aca517de340.png

Edited by Solo

Yeah, I guess they could be the clear pieces you showed.  But I didn't see them on the photos from the build displayed at that model show a few weeks back, nor on this full build:

https://hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/kits/academy12348previewbg_1.htm

Anyway, I'm not complaining or chucking spears, nor do I expect perfection.  I hope it's a great kit!

2 hours ago, Guard Hog said:

For whatever it's worth, a couple thoughts from a guy who has been around the Hog every day for over 20 years...

- Looks like, while the tail cone AAR-47 sensors are present, they didn't include the wingtips ones.  The sensor is a complex little detail that may be tough to add; hopefully the aftermarket guys will come to the rescue.

- The ECS housing ("doghouse") between the nacelles is way too tall, but it should be straightforward to just knock it down in height with a file and plastic card.

- The surface detail looks great. The verdict on how good the kit is will, in my eyes, be how all those individual parts come together to represent the whole.  The A-10 is actually a fairly complex series of shapes that, in my opinion, only Monogram has captured accurately.  Modern kits like those from Italeri and Hobbyboss don't come close, particularly the former.

With the exception of the absent MWS sensors, it looks like Academy is providing a solid baseline A-10C.  As always, you'll have to research the specific subject you're modeling, as the upgrades have continued and still will.  Little stuff like replacing LOX with OBOGS, new EGI, new and relocated panels in the cockpit, etc.

Guard Hog,

Another site's reviewer's indicate that the fan blades are to far forward in the nacelle, what is your take?

1 hour ago, Guard Hog said:

Yeah, I guess they could be the clear pieces you showed.  But I didn't see them on the photos from the build displayed at that model show a few weeks back, nor on this full build:

https://hyperscale.com/2022/reviews/kits/academy12348previewbg_1.htm

Anyway, I'm not complaining or chucking spears, nor do I expect perfection.  I hope it's a great kit!

I would be suprised if those sensors hadn't been there, especially those ones are the only external fetaures of C version. Except cockpit of course. I am right?
Frankly said, those sensor are very easy to make it from scratch, just few small wheels of white and clear plastic sheets - 10 minutes of work.

I'm excited about this.  Love the A-10 and grew up with them flying over my house in Indiana. 

I'm slamming together the old Monogram kit right now so I'm salivating over those one-piece fuselage and engine pods.  Although, that almost looks like cheating!

The way the windscreen piece actually matches the panel lines looks interesting.  I didn't see any canopy framing, though?

Duplicate nose gear doors suggest it is designed for a "gear up" option, which would be nice (although I didn't see a pilot  edit: found him! and I see HS confirmed gear up/down option )

Given sprue G is labeled as "A-10C" and includes some of the model-specific parts (plus part 76 on sprue C?), and the rest just say "A-10", I'm betting on a future A-10A release, too. 

Edited by kernsc
3 hours ago, mike_45 said:

Guard Hog,

Another site's reviewer's indicate that the fan blades are to far forward in the nacelle, what is your take?

Based on the limited views of it so far, I would agree that they do look significantly shallower than the real thing.  Could be a pretty easy fix, and certainly an opportunity for the aftermarket guys.

I'll try not to get too in the weeds with speculation 'til I can look at it with my own eyes, though.  It's just really nice to see a new A-10 in this scale.

1 hour ago, kernsc said:

The way the windscreen piece actually matches the panel lines looks interesting.  I didn't see any canopy framing, though?

Yeah, a good call on their part.  It looked like that part matches the actual jet's windscreen assembly.  Even on the good old Monogram kit, getting the seam between the clear part and fuselage to blend was always difficult, and I think when not done right it detracted from the lines.  

image.thumb.png.195cdecf3590a157fb47849b24414354.png

42 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

All looks rather nice.

Did they change the wing pylons between the A-10A and A-10C?

Why are none of the tail control surfaces posable like they are for the wings you think?

They did, but I believe only on the stations that received 1760 cables for JDAMs (3/9, 8/4, 7/5), and it was just some panel changes allowing access inside the pylon for connecting said cables to the bombs.

The elevators and rudders pretty much sit neutral when on the ground and powered off, unlike the flaps which on some birds have a tendency to droop without hydraulic power on.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

I would be suprised if those sensors hadn't been there, especially those ones are the only external fetaures of C version. Except cockpit of course. I am right?
Frankly said, those sensor are very easy to make it from scratch, just few small wheels of white and clear plastic sheets - 10 minutes of work.

I guess it comes down to a modeler's skills -- thinking mine would look more like blobs than sensors!

Very technically, the AAR-47 (MWS) was a separate upgrade to the A-10, but pretty nearly coincided with C-model conversion.  Outside the cockpit, there are not a lot of indicators; an accurate depiction of a specific subject will really come down to references.  Boom175's unit was the first to convert... maybe he remembers the specific changes?

48 minutes ago, Guard Hog said:

Based on the limited views of it so far, I would agree that they do look significantly shallower than the real thing.  Could be a pretty easy fix, and certainly an opportunity for the aftermarket guys.

I'll try not to get too in the weeds with speculation 'til I can look at it with my own eyes, though.  It's just really nice to see a new A-10 in this scale.

Outstanding, thank you for that.  I too want to see it and hope someone is able to correct it.  

The raised rivets certainly look nice, it might be worth giving it a shot.

The thing I dislike is how they handled the cockpit side panel detail - it's molded in the cockpit tub which makes it more difficult to paint or remove since the provided decals are not of transparent type so you could try to blend them over the raised detail.

Though, at least the panel detail looks more substantial than on their F-4 kits where it's pretty low making it quite difficult to paint well, which made me give up after a while and go for the Eduard F-4J set which is another story (IIRC, I didn't think it represents AWG-10 at all).

17 hours ago, Guard Hog said:

For the Italeri kit but you get the idea

https://quinta-studio.com/en/product/617/

Did they change the wing pylons between the A-10A and A-10C?

They did, but I believe only on the stations that received 1760 cables for JDAMs (3/9, 8/4, 7/5), and it was just some panel changes allowing access inside the pylon for connecting said cables to the bombs.

Correct, stations 3 thru 9 and, the openings on the bottoms of the pylons ( 4, 5, 7, and 8 )  were also enlarged for the newer 1760 cables, which are very similar to the cables used to hook up the Maverick to the LAU-117 rail.

Steve

Well looking at the video of the sprue layouts and such I think I see where they messed up the fan inlet ( i.e. blades too far forward) It looks like the cowl ring is fine, but the fan just mounts to that cowl ring. Academy appears to have forgotten about the inlet extension ring that's part of the engine. See attached picture.

TF_34_601010-F-0000H-039.jpg.24f0ac3cf06d5e2d53c6e13ed0842e39.jpg

Also the shape of the engine "Pod" is fantasy but unless your looking up the tail pipe it doesn't matter

Edited by boom175

Regardless of this kit’s fan disc placement, aftermarket temptations await us. 3D print technology now permits the creation of scale “see through” fan sections unveiling previously hidden components of the engine’s core, like inlet guide vanes, struts, etc.

Prepare to be amazed!

Edited by RichB63