Academy 1/48 A-10C

The only thing that needs is a photo etch grill  but every body can make it his own, not a big deal after all. That kit is truly amazing, I won't wait for the GWH A-10 announced and I won't pay double or triple  for that too. Thanks Academy, you rock.

Edited by salomon

So this raises the question: should I continue with the Hobby Boss kit, for which I bought a ton of aftermarket from Phase Hangar Resin, or should I get the new Academy kit? What would be your opinion?

Markus

7 minutes ago, delayar said:

... should I continue with the Hobby Boss kit ... ?

Yes. So much time, effort, and money apparently already invested. A model, I assume?

or should I get the new Academy kit?

Yes. Why not enjoy another Hog?. C Model.

:cheers:

Gene K

I am in the same situation as you and bough the hobby boss model with a lot of after market nut I didn't build it yet. My choice was very quickly made and the trash truck had passed when I saw the photos of the Academy kit.

While waiting for the arrival on the market of this Korean model, I bought at Flightpath the A-10 Méchanished Ammunition Loader in order to be able to present the plane in loading situation. The kit's worth it with the reasonable sale price.

4 minutes ago, delayar said:

So this raises the question: should I continue with the Hobby Boss kit, for which I bought a ton of aftermarket from Phase Hangar Resin, or should I get the new Academy kit? What would be your opinion?

Markus

I’m planning to do both. I have the Hobby Boss A in progress and will finish that in the lizard scheme, and will get the Academy kit and do it in grays.

2 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Seems nobody has chosen to mold the rivets on the aft portion of the airframe anymore.

Otherwise, very nice kit.

I think you did not view the video or you would have seen the rivets on the tail boom and stabilizers. Honestly, why take the time to post when you have absolutely no information?

0FE24414-91F1-4727-BFF3-3F6398D36380.thumb.png.34b1a3b8b0f39a8923de0325d8e36882.png

Edited by andrew.deboer
16 hours ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

Seems nobody has chosen to mold the rivets on the aft portion of the airframe anymore.

Otherwise, very nice kit.

Hi VF,

I might have misunderstood your comment, but to my eye, it’s bristling with raised rivet detail:

WRn9PCH.jpg

jus5wP2.jpg

JVIMItO.jpg

Edited by RichB63
On 12/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, Solo said:

Hard to believe GWH could make better kit.
The only flaw as I can see are Academy decals. To bad they didn't order it from Cartograf.

I have read in other sites that Academy's new decals are excellent, on par with Cartographs' best. Dusan Lekic (Scale ModelAircraft on YouTube) commented that in his Academy 1/48 A6M2b build review (Academy 1/48 A6M2b Build)

21 hours ago, delayar said:

Markus

I have the same dilemma. I spent $$$ on all of PHR conversions to turn the HobbyBoss A model to a C. Dave Roof was a genius for resisting the urge to get all the sets. I pulled my conversion sets and the kit out yesterday and started to look at what needed to be done. The PHR stuff is really nice but there is a lot of cutting that needs to be done. Too much for me when I can get a C model right out of the box.  Some of the PHR stuff can be used for an A model. Perhaps some will fit the Academy kit like the engine intakes and the ejection seat. I spent too much money just to toss it all in the trash. 

1 hour ago, nachjager said:

I have read in other sites that Academy's new decals are excellent, on par with Cartographs' best. Dusan Lekic (Scale ModelAircraft on YouTube) commented that in his Academy 1/48 A6M2b build review (Academy 1/48 A6M2b Build)

That is something new for me. I have always heard that Academy decals are the worst and for every each of theirs kit I should by aftermarket decals. Hope you are right.

3 minutes ago, Solo said:

That is something new for me. I have always heard that Academy decals are the worst and for every each of theirs kit I should by aftermarket decals. Hope you are right.

go to nachjager's YT url, and read the caption starting at 9:30  just for 15 seconds.  At least with their a6m2b.