Academy 1/48 A-10C

1 hour ago, okthree said:

Dave Roof was a genius for resisting the urge to get all the sets.

To be fair and transparent, it wasn't that I resisted the urge, it's that I new about the Academy kit a few months before it got announced. I'm currently assisting them (the designer anyway) on another kit and have a heads up on a couple other cool items coming down the pike.

21 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

To be fair and transparent, it wasn't that I resisted the urge, it's that I new about the Academy kit a few months before it got announced. I'm currently assisting them (the designer anyway) on another kit and have a heads up on a couple other cool items coming down the pike.

Ah… insider trading. 

19 hours ago, andrew.deboer said:

I think you did not view the video or you would have seen the rivets on the tail boom and stabilizers. Honestly, why take the time to post when you have absolutely no information?

0FE24414-91F1-4727-BFF3-3F6398D36380.thumb.png.34b1a3b8b0f39a8923de0325d8e36882.png

I did not see the rivets, though i watched the video to the point where I missed them.  I am pleased to say I was totally blind.  Honestly...I did watch the video but I don't see so good anymore.  I just ordered the kit and should get it by May of next year, according to eBay.  

However, and this may be sacrilege, I will back-date it to an early jet because that's what I worked at DM in the early to mid 80's

Edited by VADM Fangschleister
55 minutes ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

I will back-date it to an early jet because that's what I worked at DM in the early to mid 80's

Looking forward to your "conversion". I know there are several others contemplating the same backdating since they can't wait for the Academy A model release. :rolleyes:

Gene K

On 12/29/2022 at 3:54 PM, GeneK said:

Looking forward to your "conversion". I know there are several others contemplating the same backdating since they can't wait for the Academy A model release. :rolleyes:

Gene K

Well...it shouldn't be all that hard as there aren't any real shape issues.  I loved working on those jets and the job was pretty easy and the hours were fine.  Occasional weekend duty....sometimes washrack...sometimes phase barn.   No biggie.  What was a 22 year old going  to do with his time?   I went to night school, got my PPL, took care of my little white 924 and enjoyed the deserts of the Pima area.   Took a trip to Mt Lemmon, rode the bus for the boneyard several times and got lots of model ideas...went to Craig's Hobbies and Tucson Hobby Shop a lot and also to the Dumas model shop on occasion.  Dumas was nothing like I expected.  

I'm retired now and would like to revisit my long-ago life in model form.  Many things in the idea-cooker but some things have to come first.  Life has slowed to glacial speeds and I'm glad of it.   

On 12/29/2022 at 9:01 PM, JeffreyK said:

A number of upgrade sets for the kit are already on the way from DEF Model, including a corrected intake. (I hope this Facebook link will work...)

https://www.facebook.com/defmodel/posts/pfbid02ZNcZXvBPMMFKXVVCNk773aCwPiZ8wvRj8VWW3zDjhkfP5EdurzbjV9XuKhC2A87Ml

Those are gorgeous, Mr K.   I plan on acquiring a set but the facebook link did not work for me, but it's probably something I did.  Will keep trying.

1 hour ago, VADM Fangschleister said:

I'm retired now and would like to revisit my long-ago life in model form.  

Sounds like good times in Tucson! (I spent considerable time at Davis Monthan too - with the F-4 and later the A-10). 

Will be wallet time when "someone" establishes a readily available source for the DEF parts. Looks like Sprue Bros and Andy's should be leading candidates here in US, but I certainly would order where first actually available. :salute:

Gene K

• 1 month later...

I received my kit yesterday and briefly went thru it today. I didn't open any of the bags yet but, from what I could see thru the bags, the following items are required all because of injection pin marks 😡 WTF Academy ?!?!

Pylons

Boarding ladder

Landing gear ?? maybe the kits are usable ?

Gear doors

It's really a shame too because the pylons are really nice, the sway pads give you the option for loaded or unloaded stations. I just don't understand why in this day and age of technology, we still have injection pin marks on things.

Rant over.

Steve

14 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I received my kit yesterday and briefly went thru it today. I didn't open any of the bags yet but, from what I could see thru the bags, the following items are required all because of injection pin marks 😡 WTF Academy ?!?!

Pylons

Boarding ladder

Gear doors

It's really a shame too because the pylons are really nice, the sway pads give you the option for loaded or unloaded stations. I just don't understand why in this day and age of technology, we still have injection pin marks on things.

Rant over.

Steve

I’m sorry to read about all the pin marks on the kit. Hopefully they are not too difficult to deal with.  I have been looking forward to this kit’s release. BTW where did you get your kit from?

18 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Pylons

Boarding ladder

Gear doors

Rant over.

Steve

That isn't good news; judging by your username, it must hurt even more; let's hope the accuracy and other details compensate for those drawbacks.

20 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Pylons

Boarding ladder

Gear doors

Rant over.

Steve

Your observations are correct, here are some photos from my sample, the dark circles are the ejection marks highlighted with Tamiya dark brown panel liner. To be fair, they are quite shalow and hard to see.

Someone will surely come with some aftermarket replacement but as you said, these things should hot happen with today's injection molding tech. 

IMG20230204135403.jpg

IMG20230204135354.jpg

IMG20230204135337.jpg

2 hours ago, cruiz said:

That isn't good news; judging by your username, it must hurt even more; let's hope the accuracy and other details compensate for those drawbacks.

From what I have seem, and comparing with photos from the web and Jake's book on the A-10, it seems to be fairly accurate, and represent the latest variant with all the new gizmos avaliable. 

7 hours ago, okthree said:

I’m sorry to read about all the pin marks on the kit. Hopefully they are not too difficult to deal with.  I have been looking forward to this kit’s release. BTW where did you get your kit from?

I received it from a friend last week as a birthday gift.

Steve

4 hours ago, cruiz said:

Oh I'll build it at some point. It looks to be a really nice model. It's just frustrating when you have a beautiful, one piece aft section and, engine housing and have these other "issues" in the same box.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
On 12/19/2022 at 11:40 AM, andrew.deboer said:

Wow - one piece molds of the engine pods, the tailcone, and of the rear fuselage. Given the quality of the molding and surface detail on their 1/72 F-14 and 1/144 B-1B, this should be fun. This ain’t your daddy’s Academy.

https://youtu.be/XwDxi2OYF-s

in the world of armor; Academy seems to have taken giant leaps forward over the last couple years. Their kits are half the price of Dragons and nearly as good (some are better).  I tried to buy two or three kits from Spru Brothers the first day they got the and they were already sold out! This kit and the new Revell Hurricane are the hot tickets for me this year!

gary

• 2 weeks later...

My LHS had one in stock yesterday so I brought it home.  I see the same ejector pin marks as shown above.  Not horrible and it looks like they generally tried to put them on the "less visible" side of things, but will required a bit of care.  Overall, though, it looks beautiful after having just completed the Monogram kit. Assembly sequence is a bit odd, so I'll need to study that and adapt.  It's almost like they just wanted wanted to change the standard sequence (cockpit first, weapons last) just to be different.

I think I'm going to jump right into this kit.

Phase Hangar Resin and DEF have correction sets for the intakes; even if the kits' ones were correct, those big blades and the surrounding details are a great focal point that would be worth the addition of aftermarket.

I don’t even have the kit yet, but I already have the 3D printed Phase Hangar intake set. It’s very good - includes all of the perforations on the inside of the intake ring, plus really sweet new fans with separate centers. The one downside of the PH set is that the intakes had to be printed upside down (I don’t know why but I’m sure for good reason), so the lip of the intake has to be cleaned up just like sprue attachments on injection molded parts.

You’re right - it’s strange how most 1/48 A-10 kits just get the depth wrong. 

Edited by andrew.deboer